Talk

Advanced search

Massive family row about flashing lights. IANBU.

(70 Posts)
PreMadonna Mon 08-Dec-14 17:27:42

Outdoors tree.

I cannot abide a flashing light. Absolutely loathe them. They give me rage.

Every single bloody arsing time I leave the house some fucker changes the lights from static to flashing.

I have lost my rag and threatened to cancel Christmas if anyone puts the bastard lights onto flash again.

The discussion got quite heated. Nobody is talking to anyone else.

IANBU am I?

Bulbasaur Mon 08-Dec-14 17:29:08

fbiscuit

joanne1947 Mon 08-Dec-14 17:29:19

YABU - live and let live, if others like flashing lights then let them flash while you are out.

madsadbad Mon 08-Dec-14 17:29:24

Yes you are

Quitelikely Mon 08-Dec-14 17:29:59

How about you avert your gaze?

WooWooOwl Mon 08-Dec-14 17:30:39

You are being completely irrational. Christmas lights seem to have that effect on some people though, so I suspect you're not alone.

You know they probably do it just to wind you up right?

KillmeNow Mon 08-Dec-14 17:30:42

YABU. Why did you buy flashable lights in the first place if you hate them so much?

MagratsHair Mon 08-Dec-14 17:30:52

Is it your tree?

SantasBassoon Mon 08-Dec-14 17:31:14

You should have bought uni-function lights.

DayLillie Mon 08-Dec-14 17:32:05

If they twinkle, YABU.

If they all flash on and off together, or in lumps, YANBU. Pull the plug out.

GloriousGloria Mon 08-Dec-14 17:32:39

YABU

Just switch them back.

They like them flashing you like them static, surely in the home everyone has a right to have them how they want them 50% of the time.

ChristmasPresence Mon 08-Dec-14 17:32:55

Take them off and swap them for some that don't flash. And no, YANBU. They're horrible.

googoodolly Mon 08-Dec-14 17:33:12

Why buy flashing lights in the first place, then?

PreMadonna Mon 08-Dec-14 17:33:35

H purchased the lights.

It's bad enough that he ignored my request for little static plain white lights and bought garish coloured ones (including neon emergency service blue).

If you need a job doing properly.........

CatCushion Mon 08-Dec-14 17:34:17

If they are your lights, turn them off, remove from the tree and replace with lights that don't flash.

PreMadonna Mon 08-Dec-14 17:34:30

I may need a large Baileys to calm me down.

shinysparklythings Mon 08-Dec-14 17:34:49

No you are nbu! I hate flashing lights outside! The house opposite has a tree with flashing white and blue lights on, feels like I'm living in a crime scene!!!

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Dec-14 17:35:36

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this very distressing time thanks

AndHarry Mon 08-Dec-14 17:36:32

Take them to the tip and pretend someone stole them.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 08-Dec-14 17:37:03

I'm on your side, OP, because flashing lights are one of my migraine triggers. They are evil!

My route to school is past lots of blinged up houses which I used to love because I like a bit of Christmas excess but these days they are all flashy and i have to walk along with my hand over my eyes.

squoosh Mon 08-Dec-14 17:37:08

He's right to prefer coloured lights to white but flashing lights are never acceptable.

TheRealMaryMillington Mon 08-Dec-14 17:37:43

Ha! I'm with you sister. Can you break them adjust the flash setting? Or perhaps some duct tape on the switch somehow. ps you do know they are doing it deliberately to wind you up now, eh?

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 08-Dec-14 17:38:07

I LOVE flashing lights, me fgrin they are little flickering pools of shiny delight. Have a wine and chill...

catsofa Mon 08-Dec-14 17:39:25

Humans are designed to be more sensitive to movement seen out of the corner of our eyes, it is to help us catch prey more effectively. It's really irritating to have something shouting for your attention like this when not needed, and there is probably a huge range of head angles you can see the damned things from out of the corner of your eye, including any shadows and reflections they cause.

YANBU and should cut the plug off the lights if it happens again. I used to live next door to someone with flashing lights, and have a condition which makes them even more annoying than they should be. Also I could not afford curtains at the time.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 08-Dec-14 17:39:55

Although,saying that, I am very aware that even suggesting we put lights on the outside of the house would be a deal breaker for my DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now