Talk

Advanced search

To want to shout from the roof tops how evil the mirena coil is!!!

(143 Posts)
RunRunRun123 Fri 08-Aug-14 08:39:51

I know there have been 1000s of posts about this and widely discussed, but I am genuinely shocked by the difference since I had my mirena coil removed and just needed to share. When I had it put in Dr assured me little to no side effects. At the time we were going through a bit of a stressful situation but I have always been a strong coper and was fine. Then within about a few weeks my moods started to spiral. I would feel anxious, panicky, burst into tears etc. I went back to dr was told no way was it the coil I was obviously just very stressed. Having two young children, they were assumed the cause. My parenting changed, I went from positive gentle parenting to struggling to control shouting and angry outbursts. In a fit of happiness I threatened and tried to leave my absolutely wonderful husband and children thinking I was obviously a bad thing for them all, On my husbands request I returned to the GP worried I was having delayed PND, was reassured again about coil and told me they thought I was depressed. But I started to research it all and I didn't think I was depressed as it would come on in cycles, directly linked to ongoing break through bleeding etc. I ended up insisting coil was removed, and pretty much had a row with the GP about that decision! That was 4 weeks ago and my life has transformed! Once again I am calm, happy, confident. I feel I am parenting my children 1000 times better, I am attracted to my husband and our sex life has returned to what it was. I haven't cried or shouted since one week after it was removed (I had a bit of a crash for a week after!). I am really, really genuinely shocked by the profound affects this had and when I researched into it, even more shocked by how common this is! I wish I had done more research prior to having it fitted rather than relying on the GP. I know GP's receive a lot of money for promoting and fitting the coil but I do worry this is at a cost of warning patients that though on on hand it works wonders, it can seriously screw you up on the other!

piddleypower Wed 07-Jun-17 17:55:46

Such variable experiences.

Mine has been a modern day miracle for me, no periods for three years. Yay!!

alabasterangel Wed 07-Jun-17 17:33:35

Great in terms of no periods.

Bad in terms of my hair falling out and my libido disappearing!! Out it came!

Fiona1984 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:26:32

Love mine, had it nearly 3 years. It's been a godsend, I still have periods but they're so light I sometimes forget about them.
Hated the pill, but tried to persevere with it because it reduced my very heavy and painful periods. It made me very moody, which I tried to tell the doctor, but he didn't believe me. Seems like a common thing. I also got constant breakthrough bleeding, which GP never seemed overly concerned about, although it can be a symptom of serious problems.
It wasn't painful getting the I'd because I had to have a cervical block due to my cervix being very narrow. I'm going to ask for it again when I get it replaced.
I do feel I am slightly moodier on the IUD, but it is nothing compared to the pill, and it is more than worth it, because I can get on with my life

TieGrr Wed 07-Jun-17 17:17:01

I'm getting a Kyleena fitted in a couple of weeks - seems to be a newer version IUD with a lower dose of hormones. I'm on the pill at the moment and turn into a snapping demon for the last week of each packet so hoping this will be more suitable.

witsender Wed 07-Jun-17 15:55:02

I put on a stone, was pretty bloody grumpy, lost all libido etc etc

Captainj1 Wed 07-Jun-17 15:23:40

I've had mine since January, took 4 months or so to settle but my very heavy periods have all but disappeared which means the world to me after some really upsetting and embarrassing leakage incidents. I had no problems with getting it inserted but that might just be relative to the 6 rounds of IVF I've been through including being half awake for one egg retrieval - now that is pain I will never forget.

BlindAssassin1 Wed 07-Jun-17 15:21:58

The combined pill sent me crazy too, extremely paranoid, insomnia, heart palpitations. I was offered the coil instead but what gives me the fear most is having a bad reaction and being told not to be a silly girl, its all in my head, & sit it out. Bizzarely the progestrone pill suits me well, which lots of women hate but i feel in control of it.

PopcornBits Wed 07-Jun-17 15:10:38

The combined pill did this to me, made me severely depressed. Never ever felt like that ever and I never will again.

I'm now on the depo and it works much better for me, I have realised that oestrogen based contraception doesn't work for me and it's a shame women have to go through the motions just find something that suits!

Fe2O3Girl Wed 07-Jun-17 15:00:33

I'm on my 2nd Mirena coil. I've had no problems at all, and minimal discomfort having it removed and fitted.

user1487941567 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:42:13

Sorry for your experience OP, and to anyone else who had the same flowers but I am actually really glad I read this thread. I was considering one after this baby is born but perhaps not now!!!

purplecollar Wed 07-Jun-17 14:37:59

I'm with you op. I became a zombie, sat lifeless on the sofa, unable to do anything. I asked to have it out but unfortunately for me it had got lost. Ten hospital appointments later which largely involved someone routing around, I finally had it removed under general anaesthetic. Never again for me.

RachelAldworth1982 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:36:30

Mirena! Unpleasant removals ! Let's talk about this so anyone considering mirena can have some detailed facts from us mums with previous experience .
Yes mirena is great for some but for now let's talk about the bad side to it! Thanks !

RachelAldworth1982 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:33:51

Yeah everyone's different . What was your experience witsender?

witsender Wed 07-Jun-17 14:29:48

I hated mine. Was on the verge of getting it removed when I fell pregnant with it in. 😂 I have a few Friends who love it but equal numbers who have hated it.

RachelAldworth1982 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:28:28

I assumed with my mirena being inside me for 8 years that it wouldn't have moved anywhere in the few weeks between the X-ray & the op to remove it . But it had . If anyone has any questions about my experience please ask away , I'm happy to help , even though I am a bit crampy and sore throat from where they'd put the tube down my throat in theatre ! I'm also still being "babysat" as need company for 24hrs after a general .

RachelAldworth1982 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:16:55

Apart from the painful insertion mirena changed my life n got no periods & greatly helped my severe pms for 4 years . The strings coukd never be see during the 6m checks but was told not to worry . I got arm implant to up thr hormones thstbmurena had ran out of.
I plucked up the courage to have it removed after being told that mirena can now stay in for 7 years (not sure if it still works as contraceptive for that long tho)
Went to gp that fitted it , he couldn't retrieve the strings so sent me to gynae at hospital for internal scan n yet more mid evil torture tool to retrieve mirena with no success. He ordered an X-ray & it was seen to be sitting where it should be .
Booked me in for general anaesthetic .
After the op he came to the ward to see me n said he couldn't see nor feel the device once he'd opened me up so inserted a camera to find it n it has gone right up at the back.
He managed to grasp it after that .

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 07-Jun-17 14:05:18

I'm on my 3rd Mirena and didn't have problems with my 1st or 2nd. I started to have what could be side effects as soon as my 3rd was put in. Mood swings, anxiety, loss of libido, hair loss, bloating. I'm not 100% convinced these are down to my coil but I'm getting it taken out soon and I'm interested to see if there's a difference.

CamberGirl Wed 07-Jun-17 13:53:54

First Mirena was great. No problems. Second one has been hell. Headaches, nausea, depression, bloating. On a good note my periods have stopped but that was countered by my sex drive totally disapping within a week. I feel like I'm permanently suffering with PMT.

I know this is a revived thread but I think these issues are fairly important.
I'm currently waiting for an appointment at the hospital to get it out of me.

Helspopje Wed 07-Jun-17 13:52:53

I am a haematologist

Mirena transforms the lives of some women with heavy loss.

TearsOnTheGround Wed 07-Jun-17 13:44:39

I hated it! I felt a constant bloating all the time, it made me feel miserable, I had headaches and was tearful. I hated the random spotting too.

I had it replaced with a copper coil and it's so far working fine for me. All of the above symptoms went when the Mirena was removed. Now my periods are slightly longer, going from 2/3 days light bleeding to 4/5 days with heavier but manageable bleeding. The cramps are not much different.

Blobby10 Wed 07-Jun-17 13:43:20

Damn - note to self: either notice dates on first page or check last page for Zombie alerts angry blush

Blobby10 Wed 07-Jun-17 13:41:54

Oh dear - I'm having one fitted (hopefully!) on 20th June - really hoping it will see me through the menopause and give me a break from really heavy periods for the last few years.

I'm already on low dose AD's and asked the doctor repeatedly about side effects of more depression - she said there wouldnt be any (if it suited me but of course, it doesn't suit everyone!)

TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth Wed 07-Jun-17 13:38:37

Who has trolled and slandered you, Rachel?

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience with Mirena flowers

RachelAldworth1982 Wed 07-Jun-17 13:34:19

I haven't cane here to leave my experiences to be trolled and slandered for my postings .
No one is obliged to reply to this but please understand that this issue with mirena is ongoing and has been for years . I'm sitting here cramping with a sore throat from the tube that went down my throat in theatre . It's no laughing matter .

PaperdollCartoon Wed 07-Jun-17 13:30:56

Zombie aside - I love mine. Had spots and some tummy paid for a couple of months, now nothing and hardly any periods. I'm very happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now