Talk

Advanced search

Page 3 | WIBU to not let the tv licensing inspectors in?

(97 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Wed 04-Sep-13 22:04:14

DH and I have never had a tv, and we periodically get the letters threatening to come around, fine us, throw us into a dungeon etc. No one ever actually has come to the house.

Today when we got back from work there was a note through the door saying they'd been to look around and as we were out, they'd come back.

I have already let them know we don't have a tv. I don't really like the idea of some total stranger wandering through my house, especially going into bedrooms, which I guess they must do as lots of people have tvs there. Also, I'm not the sort of person who's scared of "strange men" but it seems to me it would be so easy for someone to create a fake id and then try to gain entry to,the house. I wouldn't really fancy letting someone in for these reasons.

They may not come back, but if they do, WIBU to refuse entry? Is this illegal? Or would you let them in?

OP’s posts: |
coco27 Thu 05-Sep-13 08:14:20

How can they detect ? TVS receive a signal which is all around us.They don't transmit a signal so what is there to detect?

ratspeaker Thu 05-Sep-13 08:44:20

I've had them at the door after I bought a tv as I didn't have a license in my name.
Showed them we had a license in my DH name, same surname different first name. What a waste of time!
ivykaty44 Your dad should have applied for the free over 75 license, if your dad forked out money for a license he should claim it back if he is over 75. They should refund the money he paid for each month since his75th birthday.
www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/aged-74-and-over-aud3/
It's sad that someone of his age should have to apply for a license for a service he doesn't use just to stop being harassed

RevoltingPeasant Thu 05-Sep-13 09:09:17

Thanks for all the opinions, people!

To those who asked if I watch live tv: no, I definitely don't need a licence. I have never watched live tv on my laptop, iPad, or phone. I do not possess and never have possessed an actual tv. So I don't see how they could tell from looking around, as they could see my iPad but not what I had or hadn't watched on it....?

I guess I don't want to let them in cos if they call at a random time it's intrusive - my home isn't always in apple pie order, I might be undressed, etc etc - also I don't think they will be able to tell anything from the visit - and finally, how do you know if they are real?

I'm sure I've heard of TV licensing scams where they turn up with fake ids and gain access to the house that way. Doesn't seem worth the risk when they can't get any real information from the visit.

OP’s posts: |
utreas Thu 05-Sep-13 09:15:13

YANBU rhe tv licence should be abolished as the whole concept behind it is archaic and this is reflected in the conduct of the inspectors.

prettybird Thu 05-Sep-13 09:15:16

Dh once bought a tv on behalf of his mother. For a couple of years after that, we were plagued with increasingly threatening letters about our lack of licence.

These were sent to the same address that the renewal reminders were sent for our TV licence that was in my different surname hmmconfused

A TV licence is for a household, not an individual.

Iirc, what particularly bugged me was that it wasn't a Freephone number you had to call, nor a Freepost address - and if there was an email address, they must have ignored it. I left dh to deal with it as I would have got too irritated!

MrsMangoBiscuit Thu 05-Sep-13 09:28:51

We got pestered for ages by TV Licensing. Our house was turned into 2 flats years ago, then about 4 years ago we changed it back. We phoned and explained, they were perfectly happy, updated our address and apparently transferred our license to cover the house as a whole, rather than one flat. Then the letters started, so I called, every flipping month. We had 3 visits in the end. The first time I showed him in, showed him the TV, and showed him where the dividing walls had been removed. Second time, same guy, remembered the house, apologised and left. Third time, same flipping guy, and he got shirty when I said no, he couldn't come in again, so I told him to fuck off. blush Not my finest moment, but I've not seen him again.

LackingEnergy Thu 05-Sep-13 09:37:48

'Oh cool you want to check for a tv? It'll be £10 for the tour tea and cake will be provided at the end and it'll be an extra £5 to try out the floggers' grin

saintlyjimjams Thu 05-Sep-13 11:54:08

When I lived in Japan a few months after having my rights read to me in the UK they also had TV licence inspectors. I just pretended not to speak any Japanese and he cleared off. grin

ivykaty44 Thu 05-Sep-13 12:08:02

ratspeaker - my dad doesn't have a television

Sparklymommy Thu 05-Sep-13 12:16:40

LackingEnergy I LOVE that response!!! Have some cake to feed them at the end! grin

meganhumbert12 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:58:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

meganhumbert12 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:59:41

jessiesmithusa Sun 18-Oct-20 13:04:16

jessiesmithusa Sun 18-Oct-20 13:04:38

WiddlinDiddlin Sun 18-Oct-20 13:16:03

No!

Not only do they have no right to demand access without going to court, you can own a tv without a licence, as long as you aren't watching live tv on it.

I had a lengthy row with them over this years ago when I owned an ancient tv set for the purposes of gaming and videos (sega megadrive in fact, thats how long ago), i had no aerial, I could not watch tv on it if I had wanted to.

I just kept binning the letters and never let anyone in.

FlouncerInDenial Sun 18-Oct-20 13:33:22

Who are these people with no tv? shock

How did you survive lockdown???

Sunnydayhere Sun 18-Oct-20 13:42:21

Offer them a facetime virtual tour.

Quite apart from the intrusion there is a question of covid now.

Sh05 Sun 18-Oct-20 13:51:52

We get a reminder every two yrs about a TV licence, we just go online and let them know we don't need one.
Someone did come round once, he stepped into the living room and then said ok I can see there's no TV and that's it!

nicky7654 Sun 18-Oct-20 13:59:12

I don't have a licence and will not ever allow them entry!

Jjimdak Sun 18-Oct-20 14:04:02

I had just got the keys and gone to the flat and a tv inspector turned up “saw the lights on at an address he knew didn’t have a license”

The flat was empty, no furniture or tv, but he wouldn’t step over the threshold into the flat to confirm.

The previous occupants had done a runner and I was plagued by bailiffs and all sorts!

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles Sun 18-Oct-20 14:07:42

I don't believe those TV detector vans actually ever did do anything. It was a ruse to make people think a TV could be detected. When the old Cathode Ray Tube tellys were around one could detect the rays they emitted but you needed to very close and at that point you could physically touch the telly anyway.
Nowadays most TVs and computers are the LCD/LED type and don't emit rays.
They only 'detect' à unlicensed TV on the assumption that every domestic address probably has a TV so they seem to continually badger anyone with no license on this basis.

TurquoiseDragon Sun 18-Oct-20 14:16:00

Capita employ the inspectors. So, they have no powers of arrest, and no rights to enter your home. It's irrelevant that they are working for the BBC, they still don't have those rights.

They need to get a warrant, and have police on hand to execute that warrant, to get into your home. So if they try to pretend to "read your rights" they can be ignored.

And, sad to say, the over 75s do need a licence now, the free licence got abolished as of 1 August 2020. My dad is spitting feathers, got his first free licence last year and now has to pay.

MoonJelly Sun 18-Oct-20 14:22:56

Something tells me OP isn't coming back to this thread after seven years ...

TurquoiseDragon Sun 18-Oct-20 14:25:06

Bugger. I normally manage to spot the Zombies.

Jjimdak Sun 18-Oct-20 14:27:19

I worked at a company where a colleague claimed they had made detector vans in the 70s - still think it’s bullshit about the vans!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in