Talk

Advanced search

To wish ds hadn't said his first word

(81 Posts)
ariane5 Tue 14-May-13 23:28:29

Ds2 (13mths) has been very slow with talking. Babbles a bit mama/dada but NOTHING else, won't say bye bye or wave. Nothing.

I have been trying so hard to encourage him to talk and say his first proper word.

Today he did and it was....... "Arse"

Over and over again. All day blush

The poor little thing is trying to say "yes" we worked out as if we say "yes" he copies it with "arse" and he's so pleased with himself.

I was desperate for him to say his first word and now I wish he hadn't (or at least that it had been something else)

AiBU

Gossipmonster Tue 14-May-13 23:29:55

It will be hilarious on his wedding day - grin

TigerSwallowTail Tue 14-May-13 23:32:06

grin that's hilarious! You'll laugh about it soon enough.

squoosh Tue 14-May-13 23:33:48

grin

He'll be swearing like a navvy before the week's out.

KitchenandJumble Tue 14-May-13 23:35:11

Too funny. My cousin's first word was "merde." Not a mispronuncation either!

Kasterborous Tue 14-May-13 23:36:20

grin, will he be like Father Jack, from the programme Father Ted. Arse, girls, feck, drink!

ariane5 Tue 14-May-13 23:36:24

Its sad because he is so pleased with himself but he kept repeating it all day EVERYWHERE we went. "Arse" is not a word we use but I know people will assume he is just copying swearing!!

It is strange as he is almost saying it in an irish accent too (we are not irish) which dh thinks makes it even more hilarious.

MoonlightandRoses Tue 14-May-13 23:37:43

Now you just need to add "drink, feck, girls" to that and he's away!* grin grin

*Father Ted reference, not mere flippancy, honest.

IdreamofFairies Tue 14-May-13 23:41:49

unfortunately it gets worse my 2 1/2 year old spent ages singing
fuckinell fuckenell over and over smiling at me because she knows it is wrong.

have no idea where she got it from (odds on her dad when he though she couldn't hear him).

that's another thing you will discover if they are not supposed to hear it they have ears like bats
call their name or ask them to do something you may as well be on another planet the notice they take.

all part of the fun smile

Nancy66 Tue 14-May-13 23:42:59

Could be worse.
My DD's first word was 'clock' with a silent L

ariane5 Tue 14-May-13 23:44:19

Its just so odd, he's such a tiny thing as is small for his age and looks all angelic in his babygro and suddenly he comes out with "arse" loud and clear.

I thought I'd be so pleased when he finally started talking now I'm thinking how can I keep him quiet when I take dd to nursery tomorrow !

piprabbit Tue 14-May-13 23:44:23

Lots of children struggle to get their tongues round a 'tr' sound, it's something they master quite late and in the meantime they often say 'f' instead.

So make sure you teach your children to say 'lorry' and not 'truck'.

RiotsNotDiets Tue 14-May-13 23:49:16

My first word was a swear word (a proper one, not just sounds like) and tbh I think it's hilarious. I love telling people!

Don't stress, once they start they learn a new word almost every day, this will soon be nothing but an anecdote.

MrsSlocombesPussy Tue 14-May-13 23:51:59

Oh, yes we had the 'cock' too. DD used to point out the very 'big cock' in the supermarket.
She also kept saying 'Mummy, me want a piss' (she was asking for a kiss).

Rockinhippy Tue 14-May-13 23:59:43

Too funny, grin I have visions of the old guy from Father Ted now smile

One of my DDs earlier words was "fuckit" - she used to toddle around the playground shouting it over & over again blush - we realised after a while she was trying to say bucket grin

My first word was apparently "bugger" announced loudly for the first time to a bus full of pensioners, much to my very orudish DMs embarrassment - no explanation of it meant to be something else - apparently I'd got it from my Granda smile

PervyMuskrat Wed 15-May-13 00:07:29

We've had "Daddy's cock" recently which apparently means watch confused

Trying out my first link here but a friend has a brilliant tumblr collection of photos on a similar theme. Only a couple of them came from DS blush

wordsmykidssay.tumblr.com/

SE13Mummy Wed 15-May-13 00:08:15

DD2 was another one who pronounced clock without the l...until we had overemphasized the 'l' sound so much that she would, very loudly, declare, "le cock!"

PervyMuskrat Wed 15-May-13 00:09:34

Oh, that is so NSFW btw!

piprabbit Wed 15-May-13 00:12:35

My DSis's first sentence was "I am a little bugger".
DMum swore she was saying buggy. I have my doubts.

DangerousBeanz Wed 15-May-13 00:13:03

I just almost wee'd reading that !!

hhhhhhh Wed 15-May-13 00:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 15-May-13 00:13:35

I think I can beat that. DS (22 months) has about 5 words, no mummy or daddy or anything, but he can say 'jizz' and 'ohshit' (both attempts at something else) hmm

minkembra Wed 15-May-13 00:18:47

look at it this way, it is better a kid that says yes first than one that says no.

and when he says arse you just say "that's right 'yes'."

and laugh about it later.

mamadoc Wed 15-May-13 00:19:52

DS said shit for sit for ages.

Lots of 'I shit, I shitting'. I think people thought we taught him that instead of poo.

One announced very loudly at a play barn 'oh, oh, look, cowshit!' It was a seat with a picture of a cow on it but I doubt anyone believed me.

DizzyPurple Wed 15-May-13 00:33:08

My dd (3) has just started picking up swear words. The other day she came out with "bloody rabbit" which was me when I almost stepped on him the other day. She's said sh.t a couple of times too. We don't swear much so it's particularly embarrassing. Hoping none come out at church!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now