Talk

Advanced search

to think 14 year old don;t have 'womanly curves'

(75 Posts)
gordyslovesheep Thu 01-Nov-12 21:20:24

followed a link from here to DM and came across this and seriously just wanted to bang my head against a wall

YerMaw1989 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:22:11

well at 14 I was a 36DD and had very 'womanly curves' about 17 at least I always looked older.

not all 14 year olds look like little girls, people mature at different rates.

gordyslovesheep Thu 01-Nov-12 21:22:59

yes but it's the headline - in reference to a child?

YerMaw1989 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:32:16

well a 14 year old is more of a young person than a child, it didn't seem to sleeazy to me tbh.

honeytea Thu 01-Nov-12 21:32:41

I had womanly curves at 12.

Sirzy Thu 01-Nov-12 21:34:06

I can't say I have an issue with it. She is 14 not 4.

AgentZigzag Thu 01-Nov-12 21:34:53

The girl is portraying herself as older than she is, and the mail is going along with that.

Because 14 is a funny age on the cusp of adulthood but not quite there yet, she obviously wants to be dressing as though she's older and doesn't want to look like an 11 YO, but it's up to her and her parents to find a compromise.

I don't think it looks too old for her, they're killer heels she's wearing lower down in the article, but it's only for the night (presumably) and parties at primary school bring out 2/3 inch heels on the party goers, so not totally unknown territory.

The mail's just using the words they usually use to describe clothes etc, I'm not sure whether they're over-sexualizing her because they've said she's only 14, so it's in the readers mind whether they ascribe a sexual side to them?

gordyslovesheep Thu 01-Nov-12 21:36:03

yeh - maybe I am bu - I am not one to see 'peedows' on every corner or anything it just struck me as odd and a bit , I don't know, sleezy

Anonymumous Thu 01-Nov-12 21:37:45

Well, admittedly I was as flat as a pancake at 14, but my best friend was a few months younger than me and she had huge boobs and I was very, very jealous So YABU. 14 year olds can and do have womanly curves.

sausagesandwich34 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:39:13

she loks fine -what's the issue?

NellyJob Thu 01-Nov-12 21:39:33

DM is quite sleezy though.
My girl has womanly curves (13) although at the moment they are usually hidden under jeans and a hoody.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Thu 01-Nov-12 21:39:34

YANBU. I think the DM should be really careful about how they describe young women, particularly as they've been frothing over you know who.

gordyslovesheep Thu 01-Nov-12 21:41:16

yeh Sunny that was my feeling - I don't dispute the fact a 14 year old girl can be curvaceous or have a figure - it was more the headline - she is a young woman but the term seems quiet adult to me and she is a child still

TwitchyTail Thu 01-Nov-12 21:43:14

YANBU. I get a bit creeped out when under-16s are sexualised. But then I am a prude grin

UnrequitedSkink Thu 01-Nov-12 21:43:20

I can sort of see where you're coming from - 14 year olds can have womanly curves, but does it really merit an article in a newspaper?!

LadyBeagle Thu 01-Nov-12 21:44:32

Very sleazy.
She's 14 ffs, and being admired for her 'womanly curves'?
And people are OK with that?
Yuk, just yuk.

gordyslovesheep Thu 01-Nov-12 21:45:41

I think I worded the topic wrongly 'should not be described' as having ...may be better

it just seems a bit blugh

VirginiaDare Thu 01-Nov-12 21:46:00

She doesn't have womanly curves because she isn't a woman. She has young teenage girl curves, and it is sleazy as fuck.

LucieMay Thu 01-Nov-12 21:47:25

I was a 36D and a size 12 at 14 and had a very womanly figure.

GeorgianMumto5 Thu 01-Nov-12 21:47:25

YANBU, that article is slightly sleazy. In the other photos on the page, she looks very child-like. If she wants to pose as Liberty (and she looked lovely) then fair enough. If she wants those pictures out there, then fair enough (there was nothing untoward about them), but the DM's choice of words made it all look a bit yuck.

Did you find it on the Sidebar of Shame, by any chance?

AgentZigzag Thu 01-Nov-12 21:48:12

She's a child in a normally adult role though, but she's a 'child', and I mean that in the way that she doesn't want to be seen as a child or childish and is dressing accordingly.

You could read it that the mail are indirectly criticising her parents for letting her dress in such a way? Like saying about how much flesh is on show from the back, or seeing a bit of leg from the slit up the side, but to me plenty of childrens dresses show the childs back or bottom of their leg, that doesn't mean there's anything sexual to it at all.

gordyslovesheep Thu 01-Nov-12 21:49:07

yes I did Georgian it caught my eye because of the headline - she looks lovely but I thought is was creepy

bringupthebabies Thu 01-Nov-12 21:49:28

YANBU 14 Year olds are not women, they are children.

Muddled thinking about under 16s being regarded as 'young women' led to the allegations of child abuse in Rochdale being ignored for so long because the 15 year old was a 'young woman' and 'chose' what she did.

Fecking Daily Mail would be the first to villify the teenage mums but still want to sexualise everything that moves with a vagina.

AuntieStella Thu 01-Nov-12 21:50:52

By mid-teens one can be very "womanly" indeed.

But that does make it ok to bang in about it in those terms in the national press. Sleazy and a bit pervy in a newspaper.

singingmum Thu 01-Nov-12 21:50:58

My 12yr old has curves that make others jealous but she tbh never was of the boyish figure even when she was little. As the toddler chub died the curves were there and just got more pronounced. Her cousin who is 9 is straight up and down however, they just all change at their own pace I suppose.
I will admit though that my dd chooses her own clothes and loves to show how she is as it helps her confidence espec of late as she has suffered bullying from some girls and its the one thing she has over them so she uses it to shut them up. She's proud not to be stick thin or overweight as the bullies in the group are there is nothing sexual just she feels very feminine and proud to look that way.

It must be worse in the acting world where unless its a role as awkward boyish teen or younger than age role then they need to show that they are growing up so to speak

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now