Advanced search

To report my neighbour to the HA!

(46 Posts)
keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 05-Jun-11 18:39:50

A bit of a back story to this really. She has reported me a number of times for the most stupid of things things. She has had the police out over my ds's playing football in the back garden, middle of the afternoon. had the environmental health out over the position of my wheely bins, tried to say that they had caused an outbreak of maggots in her hallway carpet. hmm Called out the HA officers out for where my car is parked, the time my ds leaves for school, 8am and that my dh runs his van for 5 mins in the winter mornings to warm it up and defrost the windows! She refused to let us replace our fence in between our gardens, even though part of it had fallen down, the HA replaced it themselves in the end under health and safety. Even so she has no problem knocking hell out of out door at midnight so see if we have a box for a sick hedgehog or 6am because she has seen someone in our cul-de-sac who 'doesn't belong'.
Anyway to get to the point, I have never complained to the HA about her but when they came out over the fence they told me if she does anything I think is out of order then I should contact them straight away. About an hour ago, 5.30, ds2 and 3 where playing on the trampoline and ok where being a bit noisey, ds2 had adhd and ds3 has autism, I was sitting in the garden chair out of her sight. She came out into her back garden and shouted "Jesus christ ds2 keep the f'ing noise down" ds2 stopped and said "yes sorry" she then said "yes, keep the f'ing noise down, stupid kid." and walked back into her house.
I know this is not acceptable but is it worth reporting her for. I don't want to confront her as I know she will try and report me for being aggressive towards her as she has every time I have tried in the past.

suetheslut Sun 05-Jun-11 18:43:01

I believe Jeremy Kyle will give you 250 pounds plus a night in a hotel for appearing on his show.

misty0 Sun 05-Jun-11 18:47:50

I'd report her! Eye for an eye an all that. Would def have a word face to face with anyone swearing at my kids. I'd tell her i was reporting her and why.

EmsieRo Sun 05-Jun-11 18:51:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suetheslut Sun 05-Jun-11 18:52:41

Housing Authority, you numpty. grin

BoscosBox Sun 05-Jun-11 18:57:56

Just ignore her or Move . She sounds like a loon .

keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 05-Jun-11 19:02:41

suetheslut I am serious. The woman complains to me about me constantly. It is wearing me down. Never my dh by the way only me!
misty I think I missed my chance to do that now really.
Sorry housing Association, took over local social housing from the council. I am a home owner by the way, not a tenant, not that really make any difference, she does however think the council will kick me out.
We haven't let our ds's out in the back garden for much more than 10mins at a time for about 4 years because of her constant complaining, but dh and I decided it was unfair on the boys, we have a safe garden now the fence has been fixed.

keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 05-Jun-11 19:06:07

We have tried to sell but what with the housing market and her antics when the house was up for sale we didn't get so much as a sniff in a year.
She would stand out side her front door or peer from her window the whole time someone who looked like a viewer was her. She even phoned the estate agents to ask them not to send anyone with kids round, and could they inform her when a viewing was booked in, she is a nutter.

RitaMorgan Sun 05-Jun-11 19:07:31

I would report her, our HA has always been very good at dealing with anti-social behaviour.

QuintessentialOldMoo Sun 05-Jun-11 19:09:32

Oh, I thought it was Hells Angels. blush

But yes, you blardy should report her to Hells Angels, that will be much more fun.

bittersweetvictory Sun 05-Jun-11 19:11:53

Im not really into reporting neighbours but on this occasion i would report the fuck out of the mad cow, i have a son ASD and to be honest would probably have punched her if she had talked to him like that, its the only language she understands so report the fuck out of her every move.

keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 05-Jun-11 19:50:54

Thanks for reassuring me, I am not one for confrontation but she is getting on my last nerve. When I do try and speak to her about things she just goes mad and starts calling me a bully, she even said at one point she would have me done for disability discrimination for things I put her through, making her life hell.

Madlizzy Sun 05-Jun-11 19:56:26

You could turn that right back on her and say that she's discriminating against your children.

Actually, the sensible, grown up thing to do would be to keep a diary of every single little incident over a period of time and present it to the HA.

prettyfly1 Sun 05-Jun-11 20:08:02

I second keeping the report - her behaviour is nightmarishly bad and you have every right to live in peace without banging on the door and your children receiving abuse. Tbh I would be tempted to report her for swearing at your kids - I would have flipped over that but I understand that you want a quiet life. You need to decide where your line is though - what does she have to do before you finally decide you cannot take any more of her behaviour??

BoffinMum Sun 05-Jun-11 20:12:36

I think you could quite reasonably ask the HA if they would help you find some mediation as it sounds difficult, but she's not doing anything actually illegal (sadly being a miserable bitch who bullies neighbours is not illegal yet).

RitaMorgan Sun 05-Jun-11 20:18:24

It doesn't have to be illegal behaviour for the landlord to get involved Boffinmum - there will be something in the tenancy agreement about anti-social behaviour.

PenguinArmy Sun 05-Jun-11 20:20:16

I think HA tenants have to sign agreements that they will be nice to their neighbours (OK not in those words) so if long term mediation didn't work there is scope to move her on. If it was taken over by the council they might have to honour their more typical arrangements. The fact that HA have been open to you complaining about her suggests that they would be friendly to deal with and I agree about the log. They might however have their own log that they want you to fill out and anything else might not count.

Gingefringe Sun 05-Jun-11 20:26:02

Sounds like the HA are sick of her as well!

Must be awful to live next door to a psycho like this.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 05-Jun-11 20:28:38

There should be an anti-social behaviour department at your local council, they'll ask you to log the incidents (anything that causes undue alarm, harassment or distress). Do a few weeks worth and send them in.

The council will (by the sounds of things) have a couple of inch thick files on the woman and inwardly sigh as soon as they get a message from her.

As you have a soon with learning difficulties who has been verbally abused you will be taken absolutely seriously.

it is a very long road but she would get formal written warnings if behaviour continues and tenancy would be put at risk,

mercibucket Sun 05-Jun-11 20:32:27

while you're at it, why not report to them the series of malicious complaints she's been putting in about you over the years? there will be records of all of them if they involve police, environmental services etc

youarekidding Sun 05-Jun-11 20:54:12

YANBU to report her. For a start she can't just walk onto your property.

(only thing I'm stuggling with is how HA are your landlords but you own? - are you part rent/buy?) I'm HA btw not trying to be nosy but have had similar experience. I'm full tenant and problem was with part rent/buy tenants who in this case thought they couldn't be evicted - and are now on there final warning. smile

Sorry your going through this does sound miserable. sad

SugarPasteFrog Sun 05-Jun-11 21:06:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 05-Jun-11 21:08:53

youarekidding HA are not my landlords they are hers. We bought our house before the HA took over from the council.
merci The police and HA are recording her complaints as malicious now, the only ones who don't are the environmental health as they said they have to look into every complaint, but that said it does depend on which officer gets the complaint, the last one was great.
The HA have said that I need to let them know of all instances each time they happen, rather than keep a diary, because of the way she has been behaving towards me.

youarekidding Sun 05-Jun-11 21:14:44

Sorry - totally misread the post. blush

In that case you have nothing to worry about - the HA can do nothing to you iyswim? My guess is she wants a new house and the only way to do it is to prove her substandard accomodation, problem neighbours etc. Having a broken fence would be substandard which is why she wouldn't let you fix it at a guess.

Oh and report the arse of the bitch if I were you. HA take their tenants disrespecting neighbours very seroiusly ime.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Sun 05-Jun-11 21:24:29

We had trouble with anti-social neighbours who were HA tenants. We reached the point where we emailed the housing officer after each incident so that way we had a record and the HA were being constantly reminded of the problem. Eventually they were put on a "good behaviour" contract for 12 months which if they breached I believe their tenancy could be downgraded from Assured to Assured shorthold. Its much easier to evict someone on an AST. They did improve after that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: