Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis Christmas Advert

(71 Posts)
Borisismyhousespider Sat 13-Nov-10 21:49:42

Well thanks John Lewis, you may have just bust the Santa Myth in our house with you're advert (in the X-Factor break) with Parents sneaking about the house, whilst the kids watch the TV and then stuffing things in the loft hmm our 7 year old was looking at us quite oddly after that.....thankfully the 4 year old was more interested in the kid hanging up a stocking for the dog.......

Dylthan Sat 13-Nov-10 21:53:44

But surely you give the dc presents yourself and have to hide them. ( as in they get a present from yourselfs and Santa ).

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Sat 13-Nov-10 21:53:53

I agree.

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Nov-10 21:55:47

I thought it was a bit naughty ad too, but it was after 9pm. Wonder how many complaints Advertising Standards will get?

I still want to live in JL Land, looks v well made (and a lot like Maine!).

scottishmummy Sat 13-Nov-10 21:56:38

you live family life through the tv,get a grip.

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Nov-10 21:57:59

Only toys in the stocking are from Father Cristmas, aren't they?

And and everyone knows FC doesn't deliver to dogs, anyway.

bigchris Sat 13-Nov-10 21:58:55

Yabu
grownups in ad could be hiding presents to other family in the loft, like spouses, siblings etc, my dcs know I hide presents for dh in the house

scottishmummy Sat 13-Nov-10 21:59:58

bet JL are bricking it about this feedback

2shoes Sat 13-Nov-10 22:01:22

omg
would people really complain about this

OracleInaCoracle Sat 13-Nov-10 22:01:35

ds was with me today when i bought a playmobil pirate island for christmas. he knows that we buy the presents then they disappear. we went to pil's house and i put the bag down, while we were having a cup of tea Jack frost came in and took it away. doesnt matter where you hide the presents, the elves will always find them and whisk them away.

scottishmummy Sat 13-Nov-10 22:02:20

its tv not a thought control box,grow up

OracleInaCoracle Sat 13-Nov-10 22:02:41

sorry, what i am saying is that if you try you can find a way around it.

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Nov-10 22:04:31

Nah! I have 3 little believers in this house, and I wouldn't be worried about them seeing it.

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Sat 13-Nov-10 22:10:37

I emailed their PR to tell them it upset me to see that the dog was left outside in a kennel while it was snowing, and felt that their advert advocated animal cruelty.

I am 30 weeks pg and very hormonal. blush

Borisismyhousespider Sat 13-Nov-10 22:11:15

Actually it's santa presents or bust in this house upto now, with no questions asked!! looks like we may have to alter that wink

BikeRunSki, I'd love to live there too, It did look lovely!

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Nov-10 22:13:03

LotteryWinnersOnAcid, I initially thought that about the dog, but then thought it might be a hardy breed, and it was still day time.

scottishmummy Sat 13-Nov-10 22:13:43

lottery,look forward to PR telling you it isnt real.only schmaltzy ad on telly,no real widdle doggies harmed at all

Borisismyhousespider Sat 13-Nov-10 22:15:29

Scottish, I feel you need some wine, either real or virtual, here have a glass 'passes the wine'

scottishmummy Sat 13-Nov-10 22:18:26

mn isnt a wine bar,its words on a screen.as such wine and nibbles cant be passed about

SparklyJules Sat 13-Nov-10 22:20:05

Did you see the horse being snuck upstairs? We have that horse - it came in a box with the head separate from the body, with a huge sticker warning parents to assemble the horse before showing it to children in order not to cause distress to the child!

scottishmummy Sat 13-Nov-10 22:21:16

an inocous ad gettin lots of bibble babble

Borisismyhousespider Sat 13-Nov-10 22:23:49

Scottish grin I think I like you!

Sparkly really?! headless horse, that's nearly as good as the lloyds tsb money banks!

OracleInaCoracle Sat 13-Nov-10 22:23:56

ooo, SM, you do have a stick up your arse this evening. one thing to remember, the people BEHIND the words are real. yes, you might not get the <passes wine and nibbles> thing. but other people like it.

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Sat 13-Nov-10 22:24:54

I know, I know, but it made me sad and I wanted to make a stand on behalf of the fictional widdle doggy. I hope people don't actually leave their dogs out in the snow IRL, if there is a spate of this over the holiday season I will be blaming John Lewis! To be fair I have to turn over if any of the RSPCA or Dogs' Trust ads come on because I burst into tears at them and am inconsolable for ages.

As I said, hormonal...

OracleInaCoracle Sat 13-Nov-10 22:26:07

i cried at the ad, and i have no such excuse. <flogs self>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: