Page 4 | Would you say this dress is acceptable for a wedding evening reception?

(81 Posts)
Acx2728 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:25:05

I've just purchased this dress for an upcoming charity event I have to attend but I am hoping it will be double up for an upcoming wedding due to the cost and I am having to have the dress altered and taken in slightly so would be nice to get more than one wear out of it. It will only be the evening reception I am attending. It will be paired with black shoes and a black bag and the bottom of the dress is like a taupe colour.

OP’s posts: |
amykristina Fri 19-Jul-19 11:35:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dontgobaconmyheart Fri 19-Jul-19 12:53:21

These threads always crack me up. Why go to such lengths to construct narratives about why it's not possible to find anything to wear other than a white dress - to wear to a wedding related event confused.

If cost is such an issue OP then perhaps its unwise to buy such an expensive dress in the first instance when you are aware you will have limited opportunities to wear it. Would it not just have been easier to buy one of the literal thousands of other dresses available online or on the high street- its wedding season and the shops have been full of them for months and yet every week someone pops up trying to get mumsnet to justify for them why a white dress they want to wear despite the known issues is ok, and they always get shot down and try to justify it anyway. It's baffling.

OP the dress is not going to be suitable for most wedding receptions and you at least suspect that or wouldn't ask. I wouldn't care personally but am non traditional, most people are. It also looks fairly bridesmaidy or mother of the bride even without a colour match.

Surely the fact it's getting picked up on should be indicator of how comically obtuse the situation is.

regmover Fri 19-Jul-19 12:57:46

It's not white.
It's a very nice dress.
Wear it.

BarbedBloom Fri 19-Jul-19 13:00:02

I would say no only because of the other guests. I went to an evening reception and someone wore something quite similar. All night people were giving her looks and mother of the bride cornered her in the toilets to have a go. I would avoid it just for that reason

AnyFucker Fri 19-Jul-19 13:00:27

Zombie thread

Crinkle77 Fri 19-Jul-19 13:53:14

Don't get the big deal about the colour. Yes it is white but no one is going to get you mixed up with the bride. It's not floaty or anything.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in