Talk

Advanced search

Do you all put actual oranges in the toe of stockings?

(37 Posts)
ElfrideSwancourt Sun 16-Dec-18 15:13:50

We've always put chocolate oranges in the stocking toes, but one of my DC is very lactose intolerant and doesn't want one this year.

I feel a bit mean just putting an orange in hers, but she doesn't like dark chocolate.

Has anyone got any good ideas for what I could put instead?

BlackBeltInPresentWrapping Sun 16-Dec-18 15:20:33

Santa always puts in a satsuma or tangerine here.

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Sun 16-Dec-18 15:21:58

No we go for the ok' chocolate orange. I'm surprised some of the manufacturers haven't come up with a 'free from' version given nowadays the chocolate orange is pretty much a tradition in its own right.

Not the same I know but could you pop a dairy free orange dessert or cake in?

ApolloandDaphne Sun 16-Dec-18 15:23:09

Always a satsuma and and apple in first. Then a handful of chocolate coins plus some small gifts and other sweets.

StarShapedWindow Sun 16-Dec-18 15:23:18

Always a real satsuma or tangerine - whichever’s in the fruit bowl. My sons just gets returned to the fruit bowl each year after it’s emerged from the stocking but it’s tradition!

Thesearmsofmine Sun 16-Dec-18 15:23:46

Put an orange in them all and then a choc orange further up the stocking for the others and another type of treat in hers.

Stormwhale Sun 16-Dec-18 15:26:07

I don't do either. My mum never did so it hadn't occurred to me. Dds stocking just contains small gifts.

Pascha Sun 16-Dec-18 15:26:50

Mine both hate oranges so one gets an apple and the other a banana or raisins. Ds1 gets jellybabies as his sweets and ds2 jellytots. I don't like them having Chocolate in their bedrooms because they will definitely make a mess.

Phoenixrise Sun 16-Dec-18 15:29:42

Always an orange, a walnut and a couple of chocolate coins, not that they necessarily get eaten

FissionChips Sun 16-Dec-18 15:34:46

Asda do nice orange milk chocolate dairy free bar.

Dd’s Stocking just has gifts, I don’t see the point of an orange, it’s not a luxury anymore.

ElfrideSwancourt Sun 16-Dec-18 15:37:16

Thanks fissionchips I will head over to Asda and have a look for that.

ElfrideSwancourt Sun 16-Dec-18 15:38:12

I could even melt it into an orange shape if I'm feeling enthusiastic (unlikely!)

FissionChips Sun 16-Dec-18 15:38:54

Sainsbury’s do one too but Asda’s is nicer.

AdaColeman Sun 16-Dec-18 15:40:53

Always a real satsuma or tangerine here, it's the law! fgrin

UrbaneSprawl Sun 16-Dec-18 15:43:41

Actual clementines or similar are traditional here. And in my DP’s family they are always accompanied by a wrapped lump of coal as a reminder to be good of for the rest of the year!

JellyBabiesSaveLives Sun 16-Dec-18 15:46:05

Hell no. Taking up chocolate space with fruit would not be well received. The pancreatically-challenged child says chocolate is better than fruit because it has the carb count written on the packet so he knows how much insulin to give himself ....

JurassicGirl Sun 16-Dec-18 15:47:25

I second Asda chocolate orange dairy free buttons - so nice!!

Could you get one of those baubles that are clear plastic that you can fill yourself?

I got some dairy free truffles that look like sprouts that are lovely!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 16-Dec-18 15:52:33

Orange jelly slices in a clear bauble.

eddiemairswife Sun 16-Dec-18 16:01:20

I always had an orange, so did my children. It was always orange, choc coins, nuts,apple then small unwrapped gifts. That kept them happy until after breakfast, getting dressed and starting on presents under the tree.

anyoldname76 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:19:05

mine have a satsuma in their stockings, along with chocolate coins and some little wrapped gifts

Christmasgone2018 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:24:56

At the very toe of the stocking is a hazelnut. Then comes a satsuma, tube of smarties, chocolate coins and then a couple of little gifts ( socks or photo frame or the like)

LynetteScavo Sun 16-Dec-18 16:26:48

We always find a real satsuma, but Lush are doing satsuma bath bombs....

Butterflycookie Sun 16-Dec-18 17:36:24

Yep mum still puts an orange in ours. It was only recently that I discovered that a lot of people get chocolate oranges!

HairyToity Sun 16-Dec-18 18:20:02

Always a satsuma in the stocking.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 16-Dec-18 18:26:28

Satsuma or clementine. It's the law in this house.
Might also get a chocolate orange (me from dh) but always the fresh one too.

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Sun 16-Dec-18 18:27:44

A satsuma, a handful of nuts in their shells and a lump of coal.

That's what I grew up with in my stocking. I've never done it with my own children though.

FaFoutis Sun 16-Dec-18 18:27:55

Satsuma. The children put them straight back in the fruit bowl.

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Sun 16-Dec-18 18:28:23

Can you ever buy coal any more? confused It's all wood burners these days.

FaFoutis Sun 16-Dec-18 18:30:48

I thought only naughty children get coal.
I have a coal fire, the coal man winks at me when he delivers the coal. It's very retro.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 16-Dec-18 18:39:48

We always put a real satsuma or the like in the bottom and they eat it straight away! Also a green apple as we usually buy red and they see it as an unusual treat. This year they are a bit older and will get a chocolate one too, like a pp said, further up.

wendz86 Sun 16-Dec-18 19:19:39

I always got a satsuma and would eat with choc for breakfast . Do the same for my girls.

ElfrideSwancourt Sun 16-Dec-18 19:47:01

Lots of inspiration thanks everyone.

I've ordered some clear baubles and I'll make her some lactose free orange truffles to fill it.

MeetOnTheSIedge Sun 16-Dec-18 19:59:36

We've never done either, I didn't even know it was a tradition till quite recently, we never had oranges in ours as children.

Elflocks Mon 17-Dec-18 22:14:37

I got some soap shaped like an orange, for my little sister's stocking, one year.

MutedUser Tue 18-Dec-18 02:29:23

I used to put fruit in stockings but it would me taking them out of the fruit bowl on Christmas Eve then me putting them straight back in the fruit bowl on Christmas Day. So instead we do chocolate orange and a shiny £1 coin

notpushyinterested Tue 18-Dec-18 04:26:26

Always a satsuma in the toe of the stocking. Chocolate coins. A comic/magazine. A puzzle. Some other small bits like groovy socks or lynx.

notpushyinterested Tue 18-Dec-18 04:27:47

Or fart putty or a clockwork toy or juggling balls or something daft.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »