Talk

Advanced search

Stocking for FIL?

(15 Posts)
CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Tue 15-Dec-15 10:05:53

FIL is staying over on Christmas Eve - I'd really really like to put together a little stocking for him to open Christmas morning but he is the most bloody difficult person to buy for I've ever encountered. We used to always buy him very nice booze for Christmas and birthdays, but he's given up fshock so this year after much head scratching his 'main' present is a nice leather M&S wash bag with smelliest inside, and a pair of posh leather gloves with touch screen tips.

He doesn't really like sweets or biscuits, though I have got him the obligatory chocolate orange for his stocking. I just can't think of anything else - it doesn't have to be much, just a token gesture really?

Grateful for any thoughts!

PotteringAlong Tue 15-Dec-15 10:11:53

Coffee beans? Socks?

Kittykatmacbill Tue 15-Dec-15 10:16:41

My impossible to buy for df gets a pair of comedy socks, a cheap book, coffee, nice drawing pens (this year from bm bargains) and a comedy item this year an over sized paper clip. (Not quite as crap as it sounds.)

SingaporeSlinky Tue 15-Dec-15 10:34:57

I'd second some posh coffee beans/grounds or pack of nice teas depending what he has and likes. Or new handkerchiefs if he uses them?

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Tue 15-Dec-15 18:50:39

Ooh nice tea and some socks are good ideas. He doesn't drink coffee really. I wish I could just put a steak in his stocking as I know he'd like that!

Buttercup27 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:52:40

I'm putting a new mug and egg cup in dhs ready for breakfast with some nice tea bags

TendonQueen Tue 15-Dec-15 19:03:40

The stuff you've got him sounds nice. I don't really get the stocking fixation there is on MN. We just get and give presents. I would only do them for kids if at all. Do all other members of the family get them?

CakeNinja Tue 15-Dec-15 19:07:25

Just don't do him one!
Although we only ever did stockings for kids when we were little and now only the dc get them - they aren't for grown ups!

ajandjjmum Tue 15-Dec-15 19:08:05

Jigsaw? Aftershave? Book?

Mrsmaudwatts Tue 15-Dec-15 19:26:12

How about one of these books? I bought my FIL the shed one and my DH the Husband one. They're really funny!

metro.co.uk/2015/10/12/new-ladybird-books-for-grown-ups-deal-with-hangovers-and-hipsters-5434617/

spad Tue 15-Dec-15 19:31:47

A voucher for a butcher and a fancy steak sauce that is in a jar.

spad Tue 15-Dec-15 19:32:26

That cake in a cup mug from Lakeland ?

wannabestressfree Tue 15-Dec-15 19:36:15

Bacon jam and other little pots smile

ConceptOfBiscuits Tue 15-Dec-15 19:49:39

What about some beef jerky if he likes steak?

Oldieandgoldie Tue 15-Dec-15 20:19:54

Telescopic back scratcher from pound shop? Long-handled shoe horn so he doesn't have to bend down too far? Porridge mug? (like cake in a mug). Chocolate coins as a reminder of childhood? Scented candle? (if he lives on his own, it's probably not something he'd normally go for!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now