What not to waste your money on for the DC this Christmas-

(311 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Nov-12 14:21:18

I will start, get the DCs wish lists ready to cross them off-

Elefun. Should be renamed Ele IMO.

Golden Coin Maker. Just don't.

Any more suggestions?

KingLooieCatz Tue 08-Nov-16 13:30:23

Dammit. Was thinking of getting DS Hot Wheels track. The Blutrack suggested by CleansLate looks great but currently unavailable. sad

JustSpeakSense Tue 08-Nov-16 10:22:43

Golden coin maker
Magic bake oven
Furbys

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 08-Nov-16 10:18:39

Puzzle books, you know the type - hardback books where each page has a jigsaw puzzle in it, except that once you've done them a couple of times the pieces don't tend to stay in! angry We had a beautiful Axel Scheffler one but it had the same problem and so we charity shopped it once we found all the pieces. All our other jigsaw books ended up in the bin because pieces had fallen out. Same problem with magnet books, where the magnets don't stick well enough.

Lego kits for making specific things. I have no problem with lego per se - as long as you can shove it all in the same box, but all these stupid Minecraft lego kits my boys have are rage inducing. If they get mixed up you will never know where a particular piece came from.

Also have been known to bin Hama bead creation fails and half made things that lie around for too long blush

randomcatname Tue 08-Nov-16 10:01:44

Elefun was a massive hit in this house. We loved it! We liked Pop Up Pirate too.

Hot Wheels, magic trick boxes, science sets, anything that came in a thousand pieces (yes, I'm thinking of you Marble Run) were a waste of time. In fact I'm looking at two sets waiting to go to the charity shop right now. Dc are 13 and 7 now. Very happy to be moving out if the all things tat stage.

dontevenblink Tue 08-Nov-16 04:51:46

Haha, just realised it's a zombie thread too, that'll teach me not to pay enough attention! I still found it useful though so maybe not a bad idea its been reanimated (or whatever the term is...)

dontevenblink Tue 08-Nov-16 04:48:57

confuugled I'm going back quite a few pages here, but I also have a collection of Asterix figures I bought on our yearly holidays to France as a child grin I am very excited by the fact I am not the only one! Ds1 has now adopted them and uses them to play with his avenger dolls and lego figures... (He also has my cuddly asterix dolls that I may have bought as an adult when we took a Year 7 group on a trip to Parc Asterix... blush) If anyone is looking for ideas, ds1 who is 6 is really enjoying the Asterix books.

Sorry for thread derailment, I'm terms of rubbish toys, anything without an off of volume button, yes zingzilla guitar I am looking at you... I've sold the Thomas take n play trains we had as they never gor played with as my boys like to build complicated train tracks and the tracks never seemed to go together. They adore the wooden railway though and we will keep it forever I suspect!

FurbysMakeSexNoises Mon 07-Nov-16 18:25:51

Oh shit it's a zombie thread blush

FurbysMakeSexNoises Mon 07-Nov-16 18:24:21

Furbys are brilliant fun if you can tolerant the incessant random noises (hence username)- also can link to an app which mine loved. They sing rather cutely either on their own or to each other if you have more than one.

Cheesynightmare Mon 07-Nov-16 18:20:18

and just so I can be the first

HATCHIMALS

smile

LaBrujita Mon 07-Nov-16 12:58:16

Little Live Pets Mice.

Both sets stopped functioning within hours of unpacking. I returned it, got another, same thing. Great for 10 minutes then the mice simply wear out and stop responding/moving. Scam toy, basically.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 07-Nov-16 12:45:41

My dd really want a chocolate coin maker any recommendations for something similar that works?

QueFonda Sun 13-Oct-13 21:20:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuzzpig Sun 13-Oct-13 18:26:10

I really love the look of that blu track. A couple of years ago I got a similar thing from ELC (big city range I think) because DH was reminiscing about a track which my DSS (now 21) had which they loved. The one I bought was made of separate parts though which were fun but a bit painful to slot together and some bits have broken.

thursdaysgirls Sun 13-Oct-13 15:45:04

Moonsand/dough.

Play Doh.

Plastic character "sets".

5madthings Sun 13-Oct-13 09:45:27

we just got the starter kit no need for other bits. it comes with a suction cup thingy so you can stick it to a door/window and it has a bit so you van attach it to a hook. quite often the boys just start it at the top of the stairs. you can make loops etc and the mad things just use books or anything thats handy to create ramp bits etc. tho.i may buy some of those ramp bits you can get for £13.

honestly its fab, the joy is its simplicity, mine all play with it from my two yr old to my 14 yr old and dp loves it as well. and the box it comes in is nice ans sturdy, you just roll it up and put it away!

Svrider Sun 13-Oct-13 09:06:13

My Dc are desparate for the £60 teksta dog
Every review says its shite shock

QueFonda Sun 13-Oct-13 08:52:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderingsoul Sun 13-Oct-13 08:22:35

ANY non offfically lego.. they just dont stick together. ..which is a shame as lego is so expensive... but kids love it.

talking toms.... my kids loved the app and it was one of the presents i thought they would love last year.... not so much.

another build a bear lovers here! i wonder what the argos ones are like?

does any one have a sticker maker to stear clear off?

5madthings Sat 12-Oct-13 22:41:53

Ooh I posted on this last year, we got the Ben a ndholly stuff and its been fine smile

I also go the blu track recomended and it has been the best buy ever, all five kids love it. Its been taken to school and several friends have bought it, def well worth the £30

Ds3 got hama beads...basytard things get everywhere.

Cluelessat30 Sun 22-Sep-13 22:00:28

Don't be swayed by Sainsbury's cheapo games for under 5's, even if they are on offer. I've had a shit penguin game where you're supposed to flick penguins into a rotating 'icecap' which is just plain loud and annoying, and a monkey one where you hang monkeys off a tree. You construct the tree by fitting together the base, trunk and branches. The branches fit to the trunk by a really weak magnet. It's unusable. Pah.

buildingmycorestrength Sun 22-Sep-13 18:24:31

We do Build a Bear vouchers as the kids love the 'shopping' experience. Always good. Also do it with overseas rellies.

NoComet Sun 22-Sep-13 18:04:00

Build a bear stuff a huge hit here too. Yes I have had to sew up seams on the bears, but the clothes are great. The girls can dress them easily themselves and they are huggy and nice to take to bed.

Unlike Barbies, Barbies ended up in the bin with DD2s blessing.

They are not cuddly, the neither sit or stand, their hair frizzed and they are totally impossible for DDs to dress because they don't bend.

I'm pretty good at sewing, but there is just no material in Barbie clothes to mend them.

They are shite!

2anddone Sun 22-Sep-13 15:40:02

Can I add UFT trashies relatively new ds just got for his birthday. A red plastic arena and 2 trash spinners with about 6 trashies to fight with for £19.99..........just don't!!!!

JerseySpud Sun 22-Sep-13 15:30:27

Ooooh hungry hippos - not as robust as when i was a kid

furby - eats batteries

toffee the pony - not worth the money at all

muddymarvellousdarling Sun 22-Sep-13 10:10:33

Oh, also DDs monster high dolls legs keep falling off! ( DD thinks it adds to the look! shock ) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now