Talk

Advanced search

Rocking horse for Xmas - good present?

(12 Posts)
FierceShushing Sun 28-Oct-12 07:36:51

Do you have a rocking horse and most importantly do your DCs play on it much? Someone has offered to buy one for Christmas but I don't know if it would get used, never having had one myself.

fuckwittery Sun 28-Oct-12 07:39:49

I got one for my DC last year, 4 and 18m last year, both girls. A year later they still play with it all the time, and visiting children love it as well.

Mama1980 Sun 28-Oct-12 07:41:17

My ds was bought one he used it all the time, still does and he's now 4. The key thing was to get one big enough ds s is a proper old fashioned wooden one.

Kt8791 Sun 28-Oct-12 07:42:34

I have 2 boys. Ds1 got one for his first birthday. It was hardly ever used, out for 18 months. Tried to sell on eBay and no one would buy! Depends on the child IMO.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 28-Oct-12 07:55:05

My daughter got one when she was aged 3, she is now aged 10 and refuses to let "Barney" go.My 2 year old also loves him, but I do remember her going through a stage of not playing with him much.Every single kid who has come throgh my door always likes the rocking horse.Good advice from the poster who mentions size, make sure it is big enough for them to play with when they are older.

Out of all the presents my children have accumulated over the years I can only remember the rocking horses origin.

RonettePulaski Sun 28-Oct-12 07:59:30

I dreamt as a child about having a rocking horse, a huge dapple grey one, with real hair mane and tail and a red leather saddle and bridle and how rockers not that slidey mechanism lots have

Every so often I look at them on eBay

They're about £3k

Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative for DC who Is 1 and a weeny, cluttered house with no bay window or spacious landing for Neddy to live on?

RonettePulaski Sun 28-Oct-12 07:59:59

Bow rockers

attheendoftheday Sun 28-Oct-12 08:32:42

My dd loves her rocking horse, and has done since she was about a year old (but she's only 17 months so I'm not sure about older kids).

VikingVagine Sun 28-Oct-12 08:52:54

I just got one of these for my 3yo DD (actually I got the next size down) and its really nice. It's big enough to last her until she's about 6 or 7.

FierceShushing Sun 28-Oct-12 13:08:50

Thank you everyone. Very interesting and helpful - I was surprised at how popular rocking horses are with your DCs, with the exception of Kt8791. Think I will say yes please to christmas pressie offer.

TheReturnOfBridezilla Sun 28-Oct-12 13:10:14

Mine was a five minute wonder sadly and I thought my two would love it. sad

hophophippidtyhop Sun 28-Oct-12 13:29:30

pil bought one for dd1 when she was 1. it neighed and she was terrified of it until she was 3 1/2. depends on the child, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now