Talk

Advanced search

Christmas book for nine year girl, any thoughts?

(11 Posts)
sybilvimes Wed 24-Oct-12 11:14:53

I am looking for a Christmas book for my daughter as part of the Christmas hamper. She is an excellent reader and quite girly.

She likes both modern and classic stories and I would really like to get her something really nice, so am prepared to splash a little on the price if necessary.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

sununu Wed 24-Oct-12 11:24:39

classic girls books I loved as a nine-year-old bookworm: The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Joan Aiken (there's a nice looking paperback edition); The Little White Horse, Elizabeth Goodge; A Little Princess, Frances Hodgson Burnett

sununu Wed 24-Oct-12 11:26:54

modern stories my 9yo boy and his friends (girls) love: Percy Jackson, Septimus Heap, Cressida Cowell's Hiccup stories
If you want a big special looking hardback how about a collection of mythology, there are some lovely ones around

sununu Wed 24-Oct-12 11:28:22

other lovely classics: Tom's Midnight Garden, Philippa Pearce; Goodnight Mr Tom, Michelle Magorian (has a dead baby in it, made me cry at that age but also a wonderful book I never forgot)

sybilvimes Wed 24-Oct-12 11:29:34

I was really hoping for something with a slight Christmas theme, although it isn't essential.

Thanks for fantastic suggestions, I loved little white horse when I was her age and had forgotten all about it, so may have to buy her that anyway!

sununu Wed 24-Oct-12 11:41:05

sorry, got a bit carried away because I'm really enjoying giving my own nine year old books I loved! I just thought you meant as a Christmas present.
how about Dylan Thomas, A Child's Christmas in Wales?

dabdab Wed 24-Oct-12 11:50:13

Ottoline series are good. JRR Tolkien's letters from Father Christmas excellent (good for reading together).

sommewhereelse Wed 24-Oct-12 17:53:16

A Christmas Carol by Dickens? Or a simplified version if she's not ready for the full text.

sommewhereelse Wed 24-Oct-12 17:55:56

That Tolkien book looks lovely.
I just came across this by Michael Morpugo:

here

sybilvimes Thu 25-Oct-12 12:24:46

Having just read the reviews, I am going to order the Michael Morpugo book, as it looks like something I would really like and we have very similar tastes.

Thanks to everyone who sent me a suggestion, I am very grateful.

iheartdusty Thu 25-Oct-12 14:15:49

have a look out for books by Rumer Godden, especially 'Holly & Ivy' as a Christmas story, it's lovely
<<lump in throat, sniff, sob>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now