Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Books for adults

(17 Posts)
tummytickler Thu 06-Oct-11 18:21:06

Every year in December I read A Christmas Carol, which is lovely, and I will ead it again this year (and every other year grin ) but I have to share it with dd this year. It's such a short story, it only takes a day or two to read.
This year I would like a Christmassy book to read all the way through advent.
Any ideas for Christmassy novels?
I am going to get an Agatha Raisin one, and a Hamish Macbeth one (I know it is rubbish, but I enjoy it, I read it instead of the chicklit that everyone else seems to read!) . But what else can I read to get me in the Christmas spirit?

AKMD Fri 07-Oct-11 10:05:28

J.R. Tolkein's Letters from Father Christmas isn't exactly a novel but it does show what a great dad he was grin

tummytickler Fri 07-Oct-11 10:11:32

DD has that - it is a really lovely book - I wish I could be that brilliant and creative!

AKMD Fri 07-Oct-11 10:37:35

Hmm. I am a bit stuck for adult Christmas books sad Everyone loves The Jolly Christmas Postman! We have The Story of Christmas as our advent calendar, which is a nativity scene but with a little book telling the whole Christmas story from days 1-25, which is quite nice. My mum used to take me to see The Nutcracker as a Christmas-time tradition when I was little, I loved that.

Pinot Fri 07-Oct-11 10:44:12

I'm interested in this too. I'd love a christmassy book that's not tatty chick-lit.

brookeslay Fri 07-Oct-11 11:47:20

The Twelve Days of Christmas John Julius Norwich

A Wayne in a Manger Gervase Phinn ( makes me cry in some sections)

Miss Reads Christmas books various.

Alison Uttley book Christmas Stories

funny book

Listzilla Fri 07-Oct-11 12:21:52

I love Miss Read's Christmas stories.

I have to admit though that I tend to go back to the kids' ones for myself - I have to read the Chalet school and Anne of Green Gables Christmas collections, as well as The Box of Delights and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising.

thereistheball Sat 08-Oct-11 21:55:37

India Knight's last novel was set around Christmas - Comfort And Joy.

hanahsaunt Sat 08-Oct-11 22:10:39

Cheap and cheerful tat are the ones by Mary and Carol Higgins Clarke - funny and light detective-y stories. V American and lovely. John Grisham did a novella as well; it was quite good AFAIR. You could one a day for advent smile.

Cherrypi Sat 08-Oct-11 22:40:28

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett is a Christmas classic.

wfrances Sun 09-Oct-11 10:22:14

skipping christmas -john grisham
the xmas factor -annie sanders(havn t read it yet)

Gigondas Sun 09-Oct-11 10:56:22

Tolkien letters to father Christmas

There is a maeve binchy collection of short stories- this year it will be different.ok it's verging into chicklit but I did quite enjoy it as was not too onerous when wanted something to switch off when up with baby dd.

BestLaidPlans Sun 09-Oct-11 18:11:27

Listzilla I read The Dark is Rising every Christmas as well! I need to get a new copy this year since a broken pipe in the loft destroyed a bookcase full of books, including all of TDIR series.

I came on to say Hogfather, but Cherrypi beat me to it.

Pippaandpolly Sun 09-Oct-11 18:21:23

'The Christmas Mystery' by Jostein Gaarder is GORGEOUS.

Pippaandpolly Sun 09-Oct-11 18:22:08

(Also, it has one chapter for each day of Advent, so you could spread it out quite easily. It's pretty short though.)

storminabuttercup Sun 09-Oct-11 20:02:33

I read one, I think it's cecilia ahern, the gift, but can check when I'm at home! Loved it!

KinkyDorito Mon 10-Oct-11 16:54:52

HERE.

I was just on about this on the film thread. I've not read it, and feel a Kindle purchase coming on! I like the film.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now