Talk

Advanced search

major disaster of the xmas variety, and I am actually crying, please help (involves mice and advent calendars)

(57 Posts)
psychomum5 Tue 30-Nov-10 19:58:15

wanking cunting mice had my decorations earlier

I have just gotten the fabric advent calendars and stockings out, plus the santa sacks, due to fill advents now obviously.

I am actually sobbing, and DH does not understand why.

bastard mice have had them

I now need to go shopping urgently for fabric calendars, seeing as I have the stuff, but only have £25 budget for 5 of the things.

can you help??

I am going away for 10mins, need to eat and drink and calm down, and rant at the uncaring husband.

TIA

<wipes tears before facing downstairs>

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 20:00:28

oh, no.

How shite is that.

Ok. Where is likely to be open? Supermarkets only at this time of night.

brimfull Tue 30-Nov-10 20:00:46

calm down
just get some choc ones
tis only an advent calender

Cyb Tue 30-Nov-10 20:02:28

CHRISTMAS IS RUINED

Nobody died?

then buy choc calendars and concentrate on what really matters

getting a cat

nannynobblystockingnobs Tue 30-Nov-10 20:03:18

Oh no I can fully understand your upset! Hopefully somebody will know where to get them from- I got mine off a mate.

PortlyBlackSantaUpTheChimney Tue 30-Nov-10 20:03:26

If you have the stuff already - set up an advent treasure hunt each day instead. With a clue to where they are each day and the clue to the next one placed overnight where the last gift was.

PortlyBlackSantaUpTheChimney Tue 30-Nov-10 20:05:14

On a chritsmassy bit of paper...

Obv if it were just advent claendar you were after i would also say just get 5 choc ones - but since you obviously have gone to the trouble to get 24 x 5 gifts you might have to think outside the box...

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 20:05:37

OK. Before you go haring off - Portly has a great idea.

Do treasure hunt. At least for the first few days, then you can sort something out in a day or two.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Nov-10 20:06:54

Can't you buy one big one and put five things in per day?

SantasNutellaFairy Tue 30-Nov-10 20:07:26

Oh shit Psycho- how crap.

I think that, unfortunately for this year you may need to go with the chocolate calenders.sad

Alternatively, how about a lucky dip type thing for the kids to do each evening get some sort of Xmas theme box with a lid?

Nettlerash Tue 30-Nov-10 20:07:35

I think poundland had them

mylifewithstrangers Tue 30-Nov-10 20:08:28

How about something along the lines of 24 small socks/bags/buckets/plastic cups (think creatively and cheaply) then string up a line and peg them on. If you have to do 5 then each one could be a different receptacle. Get down to poundland for some ideas!

Job done.

starfishmummy Tue 30-Nov-10 20:08:41

Deep breath.
New family tradition: advent calendar is opened before going to bed. That gives you until tomorrow evening to find something.

scrappydappydoo Tue 30-Nov-10 20:10:44

Argghhh - I feel your pain
Can you buy 5 pieces of large cardboard and some craft paper and glue 24 paper 'pockets' onto each card??

Cyb Tue 30-Nov-10 20:11:14

Am I completely heartless to think it really ISN'T a 'major disaster'? Or even a minor one?

Bah humbug and all that but you have 5 lovely kids (been nosing at your profile) AND a Dh who doesnt mind DIY.

Sounds pretty good to me

You will look back and laugh smile

MrsTedHughes Tue 30-Nov-10 20:12:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 20:17:42

<sharp intake of breath at mice attack>

I love my decorations, so many memories, and would be heartbroken if they were destroyed. I feel your pain.

yy to get a cat. Let him kill the wnakers and you get to stick a bow on his head on Christmas Day.

Aldi had them last week. Fabric advent calendars that is, not cats.

Notevenamouse Tue 30-Nov-10 20:20:59

poundland pounland pounland they have lovely ones, people think mine are from GLTC sorry to hear about the disaster.

PortlyBlackSantaUpTheChimney Tue 30-Nov-10 20:22:03

If it's any consolation - imagine trying to be oh so quiet at 11pm Christmas Eve - you open the large plastic box that has been in your office to deposit gifts in the lounge and pick up the choc coins only to have the silver paper go ftftftsssftftssss through your fingers.

Luckily that's all the little squeaking bastards managed to get at....

GypsyMoth Tue 30-Nov-10 20:23:05

Never mind the advent calendars...... Don't 'get' the need for fabric ones anyway??

You'd be better off sorting the mice..... They will be breeding somewhere!!!

stripeywoollenhat Tue 30-Nov-10 20:24:58

do not get a cat. you will wind up with mice and a lazy, freeloading feline. i know what i'm talking about.

SantasNutellaFairy Tue 30-Nov-10 20:26:32

If you want to borrow a cat, I'm sure my mother will lend you her murdering moggie. He has impressive hunting credentials!wink

brimfull Tue 30-Nov-10 20:26:53

agree with cyb

hardly worth getting in a lather about

Tolalola Tue 30-Nov-10 20:32:10

Depends what you have lying around the house. An old sheet or some cardboard, some felt or other fabric for pockets and a bit of glue, and you can bash 5 advent calendars together in no time. Cover with glitter/tinsel/tissue paper to make them pretty if you can be arsed like.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 20:33:14

Our cat, still a kitten really, is not a prolific hunter. One small bird and one very small mouse deposited as gifts in the kitchen in 6 months. DH kindly assured me his hit rate would increase come Spring when the weak babies are about.

However, he is quite impressive with household wildlife. Spiders are no longer saved for the Dyson. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now