My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


Divorce and safeguarding issue

5 replies

ButtonBoxes · 20/03/2016 13:18


Am wondering if I could get some help and advice about some interlinked issues

My husband and I have never really got on since we had an arranged marriage in 2001. We now have two children and I am planning on instructing a solicitor to start divorce proceedings next week.

On Friday I got a phone call from the headteacher at my DCs school saying she had a delicate matter to talk to me about re safeguarding.

A member of staff at the school saw my DC and their father at a bus stop near the school and she saw him pull our son to him by his coat and slap him hard twice across the face. Hard enough for his head to be jerked back. She has reported this to social services who will be getting in touch with me on Monday.

Basically, I need som advice. What happens now? With social services? How do I best protect my children who are 9 (DD) and 6 (DS)? My son is also autistic which adds to the situation. My husband has never really done much to look after them but is having to collect them from after school club three days a week now I have a new job on another town.

I also want to know what kind of difference this will make to my intending to petition for divorce and access arrangements. Does anyone know of a helpline I can ring?

He's denying it happened at all and my DD is also saying she didn't see anything. I'd be grateful for any help or advice

OP posts:
thelonggame · 20/03/2016 21:12

so sorry you're going through this.
I don't have any advice for you but didn't want to read and run Flowers
A good place to start could be Womens Aid - 0808 2000 247, or they are online too.

tribpot · 20/03/2016 21:14

I would maybe start with advice from SS. They may have a view on whether unsupervised contact is appropriate. Sorry you're going through this.

expectantmum79 · 20/03/2016 22:25

Cafcas will want to write a report at some point OP and they'll take this into consideration. If you don't stop access/ report this to police or social workers suspicion will fall on you unnecessarily and this may taint later proceedings. Raise it now in writing with anyone who you think may later intervene. PM me if you like.Flowers

ButtonBoxes · 21/03/2016 11:28

As it's already been reported by the school, should I report it again?

OP posts:
ForgivenNotForgotten · 21/03/2016 13:21

You need to do the right thing, and you also need to be seen to do the right thing. I think your best bet is to call social services and ask what the right thing is.

You don't want to be in a position where social services think you might have been facilitating abuse Sad

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.