My feed

to access all these features

Here you'll find divorce help and support from other Mners. For legal advice, you may find Advice Now guides useful.


We're Divorced, in the Same House...Is Rehousing by the Local Authority Likely?

1 reply

NameChange1011 · 15/10/2013 15:08

We have three children all in full time education, and we are all living (me, the kids and the exH) in what was the marital home, which has an outstanding mortgage. This house is in his name only, as are the debts of the marriage (the ones I know about, but that is another thread.)

The original plan was that I would live in the house until the end of the mortgage term, which is a little under 8 years. Then the house would be sold and the proceeds split with me receiving the majority. I would not apply for any money from his pension.

He'd move out and pay the mortgage plus some maintenance for the children.

So, on this basis we had our divorce granted, the judge satisfied that the arrangements for children and finances were reasonable and uncontested. No order was formally given.

Very soon after the divorce was granted exH lost his job, and became very depressed. As a result and understandably, his efforts to move out/find another job have ceased.

The house is in his name, we are not arguing/antagonistic (I am sympathetic that he is ill) but I want to be living separately.

ExH is not claiming benefits of any kind AFAIK. The financial situation is really bad, the overdraft is close to the limit, credit cards maxed out.

He is depressed, he is not functioning. He is holed up in his room. (AFAIK his GP is aware and I imagine he is taking some sort of medication.)

I am working part time (less than 20 hours a week), I have completed the online tax credit calculator which indicates that I may be eligible to apply for working tax credit and child tax credit. I have rung the application line and a form has been dispatched.

So, taking all the above into account, my question is this: Would I be able to apply to be rehoused by the local authority?

He is not throwing me and the kids onto the street, but, by not working or claiming benefits things are becoming extremely difficult.

We are divorced and I want to live the life of a divorced woman, ie without my exH.

What can I do to achieve this?

OP posts:
ICameOnTheJitney · 15/10/2013 22:57

I think you should speak to SHELTER the housing and homless charity asap. They're very good in situations like this. Housing depends where you live. In my area, they have taken all but the most desperate off the housing unless you're in a hostel, in my town you don't get a house.

I assume the mortgage isn't being paid?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.