Retraining, teacher to electrician, wage drop?

(18 Posts)
Nibor1991 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:50:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Ritasueandbobtoo9 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:52:18

I thought teachers worked all through the holidays hmm

Nibor1991 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:18:14

Needcoffeeimmediatley Tue 27-Oct-20 12:28:49

Depends, what region of the country are you in?
Does he want to be employed or self employed?
He'll need to serve his time (2 years) after qualifying before he can reach better earning potential.

Needcoffeeimmediatley Tue 27-Oct-20 12:30:27

Depends, what region of the country are you in?
Does he want to be employed or self employed?
Commercial/domestic or both, he could go into the renewable energy side of things? Really depends on what area he wants to go into.
He'll need to serve his time (2 years) after qualifying before he can reach better earning potential.

Needcoffeeimmediatley Tue 27-Oct-20 12:30:53

Ah sorry, 1st message didn't send apparently!

CloudyGladys Tue 27-Oct-20 12:48:11

What your DH might earn as an electrician earns is going to depend on whether he gets a job as an employee in someone else's company or sets up on his own, how much overtime he is able and wishes to pick up, whether he wants to do on-call work, where in the country you are.

Don't forget whatever figures you're told that he'll need adjust them to compensate for the cost of either replicating or losing the pension he'd get if he stayed in teaching, also, like other trades, there may be costs for buying tools.

Has he got a plan for how to earn money whilst re-training and until he has built up the experience to be earning any quoted salary?

The usual advice when teachers are unhappy is: has he considered changing schools, finding another role in teaching (an experienced Senco would be a strong candidate for Local Authority SEND posts, special school teaching or tutoring), or going part-time. I presume he's done that?

If he's set on changing and thought through the financial implications, I'd take the view that he'll only live once so should go for it. His teaching qualification won't lapse, so if it doesn't work out he could go back or pick up some supply work or short-term contracts to back up the electrical work.

Could he make use of the holidays to shadow an electrician and see what their day to day work entails? From the outside, teaching seems so easy but once you're in the job you find out what reality is like. Being an electrician may be similar in that respect.

dooratheexplorer Tue 27-Oct-20 19:04:04

I don't know how much they earn.

If he is planning to go self employed then he will need to consider:-
£48k salary
Paid holidays*
Pension*
Sick pay*

*Pretty good in public sector. Bit shit everywhere else and if you're self employed!!!

Where do you live? I would think very hard before changing. We have a tough few years ahead. He won't get safer than public sector. If he does want to go for it then I would try to go part-time while training/building up a customer base.

CovidClara Wed 28-Oct-20 21:04:28

Apprentice electrician - £4.15 an hour in the 1st year and then national minimum wage if over 19

www.gov.uk/become-apprentice/pay-and-conditions

Slightlybrwnbanana Wed 28-Oct-20 21:08:16

That's a high salary. Does he have a promoted role?

kittykat35 Wed 28-Oct-20 21:12:16

He could train and then go to work in a different industry as such OP. All factories have a facilities dept that need electricians on site. Are there any pharmaceutical companies near you? They will need electricians too.

OhWifey Thu 29-Oct-20 12:22:33

Slightlybrwnbanana

That's a high salary. Does he have a promoted role?

OP said he's a SENCO. To be honest I'm shocked a secondary SENCO earns so little

ballsdeep Thu 29-Oct-20 12:24:58

Ritasueandbobtoo9

I thought teachers worked all through the holidays hmm

I'm on hols now and I can tell you teachers do work. I've worked at least five hours a pay. Do you do that on your annual leave??

Nibor1991 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:38:09

Lougle Thu 29-Oct-20 18:45:57

The average wage for an electrician is £33000 according to Google.

FrippEnos Thu 29-Oct-20 18:53:35

It maybe possible for him to do the theory work whilst in his current position?
Evening classes, OU etc.

After doing the certification he could pick up smaller jobs through friends and colleagues and branch out from that.

Sewsosew Thu 29-Oct-20 18:56:17

Could he take a step down and change schools. He would still probably be better off especially when you factor a pension in. I have a family member who is an electrician, it’s a hard physical job and he has to find jobs all the time, chase payments etc. Often working in holidays because people are off and want jobs done then.
I think a senior teacher wage with the pension can be hard to replicate elsewhere I’m afraid. Change schools, it can make a big difference.

dooratheexplorer Thu 29-Oct-20 21:26:19

I know someone said upthread about whether non-teachers work during the holidays but the reality is that the rest of us don't actually get a lot. I work for the NHS so I'm fortunate that I get 27 days and 8 days bank holiday which will go up to 33 plus 8 over time I think. Lots of people get 20 days plus 8 days bank holiday.

My ex-boyfriend was a self employed tradesman. He worked five full days and very often Saturday. He didn't earn anywhere near what a senior teacher would. He spent a lot of time looking at jobs, pricing them, typing up quotes, typing up invoices, chasing payment, etc. He got so fed up with it he ended up retraining and does something different now.

Also, do not underestimate the effect that cheap European labour has had on the trades. I was speaking to a tradesman friend the other week and he said that lots of sites aren't English speaking now and wages have been driven down by cheap labour.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in