Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me find a new job please?

(22 Posts)
Poland2020 Sat 18-Jul-20 00:38:51

Just that really.
I currently work in children’s Social Care as a Social Worker (Grade 9), I have previous Experience Of working within Children’s homes.
I chair meetings confidently, write reports and assessments to a good standard. I’m empathetic but assertive. I’ve met many people from different walks of life who I’m able to work productively with. I can build relationships with children and adults well.
I really want to move away from case handling/holding and children’s Social Care well Social Care all together but I’m really aware all of my skills are geared towards Social Care.
Have any previous Social Workers made a move to a different area of work and been successful?
I currently earn £32,000 and would need a yearly wage very similar to this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I have got a brick wall!

OP’s posts: |
Poland2020 Sat 18-Jul-20 20:39:27

Anyone?

SandysMam Sat 18-Jul-20 20:43:25

My friend is a civilian investigator for the police. She loves it. Pretty much the same as a detective just without the police powers. Might be a bit similar to what you do now though with caseloads and troubled souls!

ArriettyJones Sat 18-Jul-20 20:47:12

Probation service?

Ell19 Sat 18-Jul-20 20:48:07

I was also going to suggest probation service?

Poland2020 Sat 18-Jul-20 22:53:22

@SandysMam thank you for your suggestion! I looked into the police force (police officer) but the hours just weren’t feasible for me. I have a 2 year old who only goes to his dads EOW and the drop in pay would be real hit for me. I wish I had joined the police force pre child and worked my way up!

Poland2020 Sat 18-Jul-20 22:55:45

@ArriettyJones @Ell19 thank you both for the suggestion! I really want a complete change. I feel like (through conversations with probation officers) the probation service would not be worlds away from Social Care but thank you both!

ArriettyJones Sat 18-Jul-20 23:33:12

Maybe look at the charity sector then?

Deliqueen Sat 18-Jul-20 23:46:34

Training? I am always seeing social work training jobs in our local authority.
Charity sector too. Try charityjob.co.uk.
Lots of charity work is WFH so ideal for family life. Good luck.

Babs709 Sat 18-Jul-20 23:48:28

NHS commissioning?

Sassy31 Sat 18-Jul-20 23:52:11

If you work for a LA - why not try a secondment into housing management or tenancy services. Similar enough pay & not as case work loaded .

ConiferGate Sat 18-Jul-20 23:57:34

I think you sound like you’d make a really good teacher or lecturer, you have all the skills plus experience.

Another option could be moving into a charity advice role whereby you can provide support to families on advocacy or taking steps to improve or avoid outcomes.

Lastly what about becoming an inspector, are your homes monitored by the CQC for example? That would be a great way to use your experience to continue helping people without the direct contact.

ConiferGate Sun 19-Jul-20 00:00:40

Something like this: www.google.co.uk/search?q=children%27s+home+inspector+jobs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fpstate=tldetail&htidocid=xOGuuNDvvfMKbKYAAAAAAA%3D%3D&htiq=children's%20home%20inspector%20jobs&htivrt=jobs

piscesfirerat96 Sun 19-Jul-20 20:20:31

What about council work?

Poland2020 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:14:50

@ArriettyJones thank you! I will have a look

Poland2020 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:16:57

@Deliqueen thank you! We don’t seem to have social work training jobs in my LA for some reason, well I have never come across one. WFH would be ideal for me but I also don’t mind travelling.

Poland2020 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:19:33

@Sassy31thank you for the suggestion! The LA I work for doesn’t tend to have many secondment opportunities. The past couple of secondments within my LA have been at managerial level within Children’s social Care

peachypetite Sun 19-Jul-20 21:21:06

Wellbeing teams at universities?

Poland2020 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:21:40

@ConiferGate thank you! I would love to be a primary school teacher but at the moment I can’t take the financial hit. I wish I had completed my PGCE after I finished Uni and before I had a DS where I could have worked around the limited funds.

Poland2020 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:22:57

@peachypetite thank you for the suggestion, I will look in to it.

ConiferGate Sun 19-Jul-20 21:27:40

@Poland2020 from the perspective of someone who has depended heavily on adult care services please don’t throw away your experience, there are people who need you and need you to make things better. When I say teaching, I mean teaching in your area, essentially a training type role but in an academic environment

Poland2020 Sun 19-Jul-20 21:27:40

I have a keen interest in working with people who have undergone FGM, forced marriages, CSE, trafficked children and asylum seekers.
I finding it really difficult because ideally I really would like to move away from case handling.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in