Talk

Advanced search

Advice for managing your business as a freelance marketing professional

(9 Posts)
Onze Wed 27-Dec-17 08:36:50

I originally set up as a limited company, but found the paperwork too onerous for my (very) small initial turnover. So have moved to be a sole trader. I work part time and have a couple of small businesses as clients, but I still find the costs associated with running a business, and the time to do the admin, too high compared with my earnings, at times it just doesn't seem worth it. Between the school runs I have a relatively small windows to work in, but I do try to work in the evenings etc.
Is there a good website or company that I can get some advise from? Or does anyone have any experience of making it work?
Am very tempted to get a part time job to reduce the hassle, but really need the flexibility of freelance.
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
Onze Wed 27-Dec-17 08:48:01

ps, am also looking for advise on the wording for Terms & Conditions for a marketing consultant sole trader, thanks

Colabottle10 Wed 27-Dec-17 10:48:35

What costs do you mean?

I have a pretty big Ltd now but we started off tiny - I can’t remember what the initial ongoing costs where..?

biscuitbasket Wed 27-Dec-17 11:54:34

Charge more money! Hourly rates should be either 2 times or 1.5 times your expected hourly rate. That way, you get paid for your other work (admin/quotes/accounts).

Classic small business error is to charge too little...

Kazzyhoward Wed 27-Dec-17 20:02:54

What are you spending the time on? A tiny business shouldn't take up too much admin time. Are you properly organised, i.e. filing system, "to-do" lists, up to date with everything? I've found that some people spend far too long on the admin simply because they're not organised, so everything is a last minute panic, time is wasted trying to find things etc. Get some simple admin/organisational systems set up, stick to them, and you should hardly notice the admin time you spend.

Onze Sun 21-Jan-18 18:00:54

Biscuitbasket & Kazzyhoward
You are both correct, I love doing my job but hate the admin elements so it becomes too much, and I really don't think that I charge enough..... need to sort these two things out and I think life will be easier.
Thank you for your advice.

museumum Sun 21-Jan-18 18:09:42

I recommend www.freelancelifestyle.co.uk

For free help with this sort of stuff.

Onze Thu 15-Feb-18 17:56:42

Thank you museumum, will take a look.

KadabrasSpoon Thu 15-Feb-18 19:06:39

There are free accounting packages such as Wave which will do invoices, receipts etc. That's pretty much most of my admin. Insurance and regular outgoings on a direct debit so once that's set up it takes care of itself.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in