Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Caron Cakes help!

(10 Posts)
Jux Fri 07-Apr-17 11:28:15

Sorry to post in WH, but you all know so much and I can't find another board where I could ask about wool!

Has anyone used the Caron Cake wool yet?

How does it knit up?
Does it look nice once knitted?
Could I use it instead of Drops Big Delight, do you think?

Thank you all! I have enjoyed the WH threads so much, and learnt a lot, and learnt stitches I never thought I'd ever attempt! It's been such fun, I shall carry on with Candy's Hugs. Who know? Maybe one day I'll be able to knit again too!

flowersflowerscakegin

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Fri 07-Apr-17 19:23:11

I too am intrigued by Caron Cakes (in fact all multi coloured wools - I can't get my head around them). I keep toying with trying them out (maybe ease myself in with a scarf or something) so I'll be interested to see what others opinions are smile

(I can already see this thread might cost me money wink )

Having googled Drops Big Delight and Caron Cakes, I think CC seem to have a more distinct colour change

bookbook Sat 08-Apr-17 19:40:42

I haven't used Canon cake Jux - for years I have used Sirdar crofter, which is supposed to turn out a bit like Fair Isle. What I have done recently,( for DGS) is an aran hoody made out of Katia Azteca here , and it came out quite -interesting smile
I have put up 2 pics - one the back, made from 1 ball, and the front, each front set off with a new ball, as were the sleeves. The variation is enormous, as it also depends on how many stitches you start off with.. unless you are doing a scarf or something, everyone will be different!

Jux Sat 08-Apr-17 21:57:09

Ah that's lovely, book, thank you. I shall have a quick look at that link...

Really, really nice hoody. Bet it's hard to get dgs out of it!

TheHouseOfIllRepute Sat 08-Apr-17 22:01:23

I don't like the sudden colour change.
The sirdar colour wheel is nicer imo as it's more of a gradual colour change. It feels nice too

bookbook Sat 08-Apr-17 22:35:32

Its a bit warm now - it was for sitting in his car seat tbh .The wool was a bit more 'varied' than it looked wound up in the ball IYSWIM, and more intense colours . So a little more dramatic randomness than I anticipated !

Jux Sun 09-Apr-17 13:20:32

I think dramatic randomness would suit dd very well!

Wrt wool weights, what difference does it make if you do a worsted weight pattern in a, say, dk wool? Does it come up smaller or just looser?

Jux Sun 09-Apr-17 13:26:06

What I can't get my head around is how they manage to get the knitted thing to come up with such well ordered stripes; why is there not colour changes in the middle etc. Then I realised that of course they choose to photograph the 'perfect' bit grin Sometimes I wonder where my brains are!

I think I prefer the gradual change, but dd will like the dramatic change. Shall ask her when she comes out of her revision cave wink

bookbook Sun 09-Apr-17 14:57:33

I think it depends on the needle size, more so than the wool weight tbh. The one I did was aran, and used the suitable size needles. In truth, I think I should have done it on slightly smaller needles, to make it a bit tighter. It bags a little. The change may be different for you whichever wool you use - its the size of the piece that affects it too. the hoody is quite small (DGS is 4) , so the stripe would be more even on an adult piece. On the link I put on, there are a couple of knitted up samples - a mans cardigan , and some childrens jumpers,
Also - it is an 'outside' hoody - the wool is soft, but it 'is' woolly IYSWIM - smile

Jux Sun 09-Apr-17 17:51:38

Thanks, book.

My pattern says size 6mm hook, and I started it in the right sort of wool, just to see if I could do it. We're not going to use that wool because the stuff we have is a horrible colours (remnant of my mum's!), so I'll use the 6mm hook and try it with the dk I have left from the Hugs, and see what it's like.

Thank for all your help, folks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now