Talk

Advanced search

Looking for lawyers and the next Gina Miller

(43 Posts)
morningrunner Fri 12-May-17 21:10:34

So

I am utterly bemused at the tendency for universities and other 'leftie' institutions to change women's toilets to gender neutral ant would welcome some discussions with other lawyers about what can be done to reduce it. Please PM me if you are in the legal arena and would like to discuss how to safely take positive action. I think there is a Equality Act point to be made but will need a test case.

Datun Sun 14-May-17 09:17:38

If you get any takers, can you add to this post? I'd be really interested in the discussion.

Laurapalmer90 Sun 14-May-17 17:16:28

I'd also be interested in this. It's not just toilets though, it's all female spaces which are affected because biological males identify as women and want access - changing rooms, rape crisis centres, single-sex hospitals wards, even prisons. Could these be included in a test case or would it be enough to focus on toilets and set a precedent for all female spaces to remain female spaces? I hope I am making sense.

It's also the changing of language that really worries me. Women are literally being erased.

WellErrr Sun 14-May-17 17:24:12

Following

morningrunner Sun 14-May-17 18:03:04

Well no takers so farconfused
I'm a barrister and would do it pro bono. All we need is a solicitor to do the same and a test case where a public institution has seriously fucked up, like removed all or nearly all the female toilets , or made changing areas gender neutral. Would also need to consider costs insurance for the test Claimant, who will need ovaries of steel to step up. If anyone knows a solicitor with Equalitues Act / public law experience who might be willing to help get him or her to pm me. I suspect this board will supply the test case 😀

Datun Sun 14-May-17 18:44:47

morningrunner

How about posting in AIBU? You will get the usual detractors , but it does get seen by more people. You might have more luck there.

venusinscorpio Sun 14-May-17 18:53:31

I agree, AIBU. Will turn into a long thread and it would be good to remind people that women have rights.

PowderGreen Sun 14-May-17 19:34:35

I will ask a colleague who works on this sort of law.

PencilsInSpace Sun 14-May-17 19:55:36

I don't have any legal expertise but I am following with interest.

VoidoidDash Sun 14-May-17 20:10:56

I've seen alot of pictures on Twitter where the disabled access toilet has become the all gender toilet. If you can find test cases for that would be worth a try. Disabled access toilets shd not be all things to all ppl. Especially after it took years of fighting to get them

Laurapalmer90 Sun 14-May-17 21:07:08

I think this is interesting and relevant. Hope it helps smile

www.sheilajeffreys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/toilet-article.pdfpublished-version.pdf

PencilsInSpace Sun 14-May-17 21:24:26

It would be a very brave woman who came forward to be a test case for this. Would a class action be feasible, so nobody's sticking their neck out alone? (don't know how these things work)

Laurapalmer90 Sun 14-May-17 21:47:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Laurapalmer90 Sun 14-May-17 21:51:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Datun Sun 14-May-17 21:56:10

Plus exposing trans rights activists and centering women. Both Facebook groups.

Italiangreyhound Mon 15-May-17 00:19:59

Very interesting.

morningrunner Mon 15-May-17 07:11:39

I don't really feel comfortable doing that Laura- I'm happy to shout out here because this is an anonymous forum .
If amyone come across a solicitor or firm with some experience in this field who would like to take this further then pm me. Class action is not necessary, just one person who , for example works or studies in a building where all or nearly all the women's toilets have gone gender neutral. There are ways to protect any Claimant on costs (crowdfunding costs insurance for example,or costs protection order) . Unlike the Gina Miller litigation which was enormous, , this would be relatively straightforward as the Equality Act makes bringing a claim against companies or institutions relatively straightforward

morningrunner Mon 15-May-17 07:15:23

Sorry Laura what I mean is that I would not feel comfortable going on those groups myself but if you come across someone who is on them who might fit the bill then let me know

Bigbiscuits Mon 15-May-17 08:05:24

No experience. But you can count on me to add to any crowd funding needed.

cadnowyllt Mon 15-May-17 13:40:43

MG Can't you do it via 'direct access' ?

Desiderio Mon 15-May-17 15:37:34

Great idea. I actually think the disabldd toilet becoming the gender neutral option is the most efficient use - less than1% of people are trans and not more than 3% of the population are wheelchair users /those in need of the disabled toilets. ot shouldnt lead to much more usage.

They already often have nappy changers in the disabled and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

OlennasWimple Mon 15-May-17 15:41:27

Watching with interest (and ready to chip into a crowd fund)

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 15-May-17 15:47:34

OP, are you in London? If so go to Cinema 1 at the Barbican and hang around near the loose on a busy weekend. You will find a number of disgruntled women with no difficulty! There used to be two separate loos - men and women. Now there are two separate loos - one "gender neutral (cubicles only)" and one "gender neutral (urinals only)". No prizes for predicting that this means men only in the urinals only (can't see many women rushing in there) and a free for all of women sharing a very confined space with shifting / shy / trans? men. Can you tell it gives me the rage. A well known journalist was complaining vociferously in the Evening Standard a few weeks ago about it. Try googling.
Good luck. Shall be watching with interest.

GiddyGiddyGoat Mon 15-May-17 15:49:13

Bloody genteel autocorrect. SHITTING men rather than shifting ones!

Datun Mon 15-May-17 15:50:54

Desiderio

I've always wondered what the big objection to using disabled loos is.

It must come from the fact that they campaigned so long to get them, it's seen as very specific and hard won and needs to be retained.

Which I agree with.

I'm wondering if there could be a protocol system so that disabled people always get first dibs.

You are only then left with a scenario where a disabled person needs the loo but finds it engaged.

Which I agree, could be a problem.

But then again, here we are, once more, with trans people's rights conflicting with those of everyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now