Talk

Advanced search

Bashir Imprisoned

(58 Posts)
knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 15:02:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 15:49:08

Well I'm glad he's in prison, but I still don't understand what the hell his employment has got to do with whether he should have been jailed or not! As far as I'm aware other men don't avoid prison by saying they're about to land a big contract, or do they?

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Fri 07-Apr-17 15:50:00

They probably do. It wouldn't surprise me.

BetsyM00 Fri 07-Apr-17 15:52:01

Good that he's been jailed, but:

admit assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assault by beating, destroying or damaging property and using a destructive substance with intent to maim - walk free from court

get found out lying about a cricket club job offer - jailed for 18 months.

On top of the judge's comment on the vulnerability of his victim it's hardly a good result for women.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 15:54:27

At least the judge clarified the comments about vulnerability. Has he been sentenced for lying or for the original crime?

UrsulaPandress Fri 07-Apr-17 16:01:55

Lying I think.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 16:08:05

I found a slightly clearer article on Sky News which says that it was a review of his original sentence for the assaults.

http://news.sky.com/story/cricket-bat-wife-beater-mustafa-bashir-jailed-for-18-months-10828443

He may now also face an investigation into the possible perjury committed in his original trial.

So the judge did consider this man's future job prospects when sentencing. I cannot believe that this is allowed to be taken into account. Surely it should just be tough shit if you've been found guilty of a serious crime!

IAmAmy Fri 07-Apr-17 16:10:31

So the judge did consider this man's future job prospects when sentencing. I cannot believe that this is allowed to be taken into account. Surely it should just be tough shit if you've been found guilty of a serious crime!

I concur entirely and I've read of this happening in other cases as well. It shows to me that a man's life/future career is deemed more important than women's safety or women getting some justice.

PoochSmooch Fri 07-Apr-17 16:13:23

Urgh, I can't work out if this is positive or not.

Positive: he's in jail now, where he belongs. The judge appears to have walked back/clarified some of his remarks re vulnerability. The cricket club have come out very strongly in saying that they would not consider employing someone in his situation (might even be true, that).

Negative: It comes across that violence to women doesn't get you sent to jail, but fibbing about a job offer does.

It can be hit and miss, but Real Crime Profile just did an episode about sport and domestic/sexual violence that was very interesting. Episode 62. It was motivated by that piece of shit footballer who tortured and killed his girlfriend and fed her to his dogs (can't remember what his name is, and don't much care). Laura Richards is always excellent on this (she gives a great shout out to Karen Ingala Smith on this ep), Jim Clemente less so, but it's an interesting listen nonetheless on this topic of how abusive and violent men with a talent for sport are let away with the most atrocious behaviour.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 16:15:46

Would it happen I wonder if the man in question was a financial trader and was about to complete a multi million pound trade (or whatever makes a sensible comparison)? Or is it just sports that has this effect?

IAmAmy Fri 07-Apr-17 16:20:02

Negative: It comes across that violence to women doesn't get you sent to jail, but fibbing about a job offer does.

I think it's not quite that but rather that a job offer which enhances a man's career prospects could spare him prison for violence against women which might otherwise result in a custodial sentence (not all would anyway, of course).

Or is it just sports that has this effect?

I'm pretty sure I've read of and been told of cases where this has happened beyond sports unfortunately. I'll ask again and try to find some examples.

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 16:40:35

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 16:45:03

PoochSmooch Fri 07-Apr-17 16:48:39

OJ Simpson
Oscar Pistorious

Sure I'll think of more...

PoochSmooch Fri 07-Apr-17 16:56:43

Brock Turner - not a professional but dodged actual punishment on account of being able to swim fast and how he might have been able to make a career out of it.

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 17:13:05

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 17:16:46

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 17:21:34

I really want to think that he wouldn't, but I think I'm being too optimistic. After all, there was that case of the wealthy guy whose defence against a rape charge was that he fell and accidentally penetrated the victim, and was found not guilty.

Gingernaut Fri 07-Apr-17 17:22:27

The case was reviewed under what are called the 'Slip' rules.

A judge can review a sentence if a 'clerical error' or 'slip' occurred which affected the sentence.

In this case, the defence claimed there was a 'misunderstanding' which caused the invented job offer to be submitted as mitigation.

Yeah right.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39529714

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 17:27:34

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Fri 07-Apr-17 17:33:34

Apparently employment is taken into account when sentencing because being imprisoned and losing employment is considered a double punishment so he had his sentence delayed (can't remember the term) because otherwise he'd have lost the contract which didn't exist.

The new sentencing is basically what the old sentencing should have been because there was no job contract. He has not received an additional sentence for lying although they could do that as well.

Which just goes to show that the law in this country is absurd - commit a crime? Oh dear, let's make sure you have no further ramifications apart from a possible very brief spell inside (which is automatically halved anyway)

OfficerVanHalen Fri 07-Apr-17 17:33:35

stan collymore hit ulrika jonsson in front of multiple witnesses and got away with it

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 07-Apr-17 17:39:56

OneFlew does that mean that anyone with a job can't be imprisoned?! Or is it factored in to some kind of balancing of relevant information?

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Fri 07-Apr-17 17:43:42

I'm not sure Assassinated - I read it on a legal blog about the mitigations applied in this case but don't have a legal background. It was something to do with being a financial punishment on top of the restriction of freedom. It sounded like a whole load of crap to me but I'm sure someone more qualified could explain.

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 07-Apr-17 17:44:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now