Talk

Advanced search

Can I start a ridiculous things everyday feminism posts thread?

(166 Posts)
slugseatlettuce Wed 18-Nov-15 20:55:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VestalVirgin Wed 18-Nov-15 20:59:46

You should do that, I suppose, as the ridiculous things there could fill the entire forum. Better keep it to one thread.

You can call it "bullshit wrangling".

YeeeHAW lil dogie!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 19-Nov-15 07:10:11

everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/journeys-trans-masculinity/

Trans women are women and therefore need to be centred in feminism. Trans men are...also women? Sort of women? Used to be women?

KumquatMaybe Thu 19-Nov-15 07:18:20

I love the way a pop up appears inviting me to take EF's "self love" course grin grin grin

I need it after reading all the ways I'm fucking everything up according to them

Cerseirys Thu 19-Nov-15 07:24:46

Stop the presses! I found one that actually isn't ludicrous!
ink{http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/32-types-anti-feminists/\everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/32-types-anti-feminists]]/}

"Self love", Kumquat? Does that mean they're a bunch a wankers?

BriarRainbowshimmer Thu 19-Nov-15 12:58:37

Kumquat Is that their tactic I wonder? "You're doing everything wrong, like sharing baby pictures and not caring about the lack of tampons in the men's restroom! Now that you feel bad, pay us to teach you how to feel better!"

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 19-Nov-15 13:06:24

everydayfeminism.com/2015/02/messages-trans-men-pregnancy/

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Thu 19-Nov-15 13:09:12

"Society simply doesn't give us a cultural narrative to understand masculine pregnancy".

GreenTomatoJam Thu 19-Nov-15 13:32:41

We can, for instance, separate the fact that the majority of people who seek pregnancy are cisgender women from the belief that pregnancy is only a “woman’s thing” easily when we consider that cis women who cannot become pregnant or who desire to never become pregnant are still women.

Can we? I'm not gender conforming, my sisters are not completely gender conforming, we've all been pregnant, my mother isn't, my MIL is fairly - I'd suggest that the majority of people seeking pregnancy are not cisgender from my experience

And it's a logic fail to say that wanting to be pregnant is what defines woman - when it's the ability to become pregnant surely.

The more I read, the more I think the biggest problem is conflating gender and sex, and I have to believe this is being done on purpose as it's just so thoroughly done.

TesticleOfObjectivity Thu 19-Nov-15 15:28:32

Trans women are women and therefore need to be centred in feminism. Trans men are...also women? Sort of women? Used to be women?

Obsidian, I'm not sure if I read this on mumsnet or somewhere else, but I read a while back about the idea that we have man as the default and everything else is 'not-man'. Man is perfection, God's creation, whole. Not-man is imperfect and flawed. It is a defective man.

Women, transmen and transwomen all fall under the category of not-man. It makes sense to me the way that people are quick to cry "transwomen are women" but a lot quieter on what transmen are.

BertieBotts Thu 19-Nov-15 15:32:52

Everyday feminism used to be good, I seem to recall? Unless I'm confusing it wish something else confused

Now it's full of irritating comics which are supposed to be friendly and helpful, but somehow come across as patronising, and appears to cover an entire gamut of minorities, none of which are "women".

There is occasionally a helpful post but it's mostly confusing as hell.

BertieBotts Thu 19-Nov-15 15:34:40

And all of the listicles.

It's like tumblr and buzzfeed mated and had a cute, sassy, drawn-in-three-colours anime baby.

BertieBotts Thu 19-Nov-15 15:43:37

It's really unfair that the medication I am being pressurised into taking is going to make me infertile, and therefore sperm banking should be affordable.

Whaa? Or, you know, maybe there should be less pressure from HCPs to begin sterilising treatment before puberty is even finished? And somebody should be actually mentioning these things at some point before the eve of beginning treatment? confused

I mean, probably when I was 17 if somebody had said "We can make you infertile now, but we can freeze your eggs so you can have kids later on" I'd have said yeah sure, that sounds good! Ten years later, it sounds like a horrible idea. Perhaps an option for an older trans person who is adamant they want to transition, but not for a teenager. And they want to make it the default option? confused

MajesticWhine Thu 19-Nov-15 15:47:03

Blimey. I waste a lot of time on the internet, but even I can't be bothered to read that.

abbieanders Thu 19-Nov-15 15:52:05

Society simply doesn't give us a cultural narrative to understand masculine pregnancy

A bizarre oversight on the part of society. The reason is lost in the mists of time, I imagine.

Thecatisatwat Thu 19-Nov-15 16:31:34

OP, does it mean I shouldn't be eating curries as I'm white and British (sorry can't be arsed reading the link after wasting 5 mins of my life reading the pregnant man one yesterday)?

BeyondThirty Thu 19-Nov-15 16:39:11

Oo, similar brainwavelength, slugs! I saw that post earlier and thought "omg, i need to tell mumsnet about this" grin

Their picture descriptions for sight-impaired people irrationally irritate me.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 19-Nov-15 16:40:08

EverydaySexism is good. I used to get them mixed up. Never again.

BeyondThirty Thu 19-Nov-15 16:42:09

Hahaha, oh the irony...

everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/gaslighting-silence-feminism/

(I only read the intro and the title)

BeyondThirty Thu 19-Nov-15 16:51:00

i'll be honest, as a feminist, this is one of my major concerns...

GreenTomatoJam Thu 19-Nov-15 18:27:51

Thecatisatwat - from what I could establish, it's fine for you to be eating curries, as long as you dont' enjoy them too much, talk about how much you enjoy them (especially never use the word authentic, or speak to Indian/Pakistani/Malaysian/wherever your curry is from people about it or ask there advice on where to get a good one). You certainly mustn't pay a lot of money for it (because then the people from that place may not be able to afford it), and you must never cook one and adapt the recipe to local ingredients/your taste..

A lot of that is covered by not being hipster. Some of it I find bizarre (because I've lived a lot of places, and people are usually happy to talk food, and where their favourite food comes from/how to make it/what makes it different from my food)

I don't know if this was a first generation immigrant thing on the part of the writer - she seemed to have a bit of a chip on her shoulder about it. Perhaps she has annoying friends and acquaintances.

SomeDyke Thu 19-Nov-15 19:45:37

Oh the IRONY! Saying:
"Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed.............Japan reduced to ramen and sushi, Mexico reduced to tacos and burritos, India reduced to curry, and so on."
is supposedly OKAY and sound analysis when you are talking about food, but apply it to women and women being reduced to sexy dresses and nail-polish (Hello Caitlyn!), and suddenly it is dangerous twanzphobia!

And yet another example form the same website, where we have "Transgenderism, intersexuality, and Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS)," -- "cultural appropriation" of ACTUAL identifiable, objective medical conditions or disorders of sexual development to 'support' the purely subjective self-identification of transgenderism!...........

The ONLY rule seems to be -- IF you manage to convince others that your are the MOST oppressed ever, then whatever nonsense YOU come out with is fine, and everybody else is WRONG. Rinse and repeat...............

The repeated restatement of what is RIGHT THINKING, the total lack of any logical analysis or structure, the repeated use of magical thinking and subjectivity (whilst claiming to be totally logical and scientific), and finally the repeated GUILT and REMORSE that anyone NOT in the current 'most oppressed' group is supposed to feel..................makes it seem JUST like a religion! That's it, as far as I can see,a RELIGION. And we're the heretics!

slugseatlettuce Thu 19-Nov-15 19:50:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now