Talk

Advanced search

Kellie Maloney is a heterosexual woman

(593 Posts)
Fiorentinaflo Sat 22-Aug-15 16:53:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YonicScrewdriver Sat 22-Aug-15 17:30:23

Kellie Maloney fancies men? Interesting.

RufusTheReindeer Sat 22-Aug-15 17:35:04

I thought it was interesting too yonic

I also thought Kellies comment about realising that men have little respect for women was interesting as well

feckityfeck Sat 22-Aug-15 17:36:56

I don't know why, but my mind immediately went to the phenomenon where countries that are the least tolerant of homosexuality can be surprisingly accepting of transgender people.

Sansoora Sat 22-Aug-15 17:42:19

She's not a heterosexual woman and recent pictures of her in the press set the transgendered cause back years IMHO.

RE countries that are the least tolerant of homosexuality - I believe Iran has one of the highest rates of transgender surgery in the world.

DriverSurpriseMe Sat 22-Aug-15 17:47:19

I do think there is a tiny minority of men who would rather identify as trans than gay. Lauren Harries springs to mind (although there was a documentary which showed her parents encouraged her transition, IIRC).

blibblobblub Sat 22-Aug-15 17:48:42

Apparently there is absolutely no difference between me and Kellie

Except that's not what it says though, is it?

Just because you're a heterosexual woman doesn't mean your experiences are the same as those of other heterosexual women, whether they're trans* or not.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 22-Aug-15 17:49:28

I thought she fancied women? In the big brother house didn't she throw a load of homophobic abuse at one of the men, and then someone else pointed out that she's a lesbian, and she was flummoxed?

Sounds like she has an awful lot to get to grips with.

Sansoora Sat 22-Aug-15 17:51:57

Sounds like she has an awful lot to get to grips with.

He was openly homophobic in the past and made some pretty awful public announcements regarding his thoughts.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 22-Aug-15 17:52:16

Erm women and girls around the world are extremely likely to share certain experiences, when they were growing up, which are extremely unlikely to have been shared by someone born and raised a boy.

Growing up as trans or gay have their own problems but although they arguably have the same root they do not manifest in the same way.

None of this is rocket science is it, I find it ceaselessly baffling that some people pretend it's not true.

blibblobblub Sat 22-Aug-15 17:55:26

I'm not saying that women and girls won't have shared experiences. I just don't see how you can take a trans woman's statement of "I'm a heterosexual woman" and take that to mean "my experiences as a woman count for nothing".

Unless there's a lot more to the article that hasn't been quoted here?

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 22-Aug-15 17:57:18

"My lived experiences of growing up as female, with a womb, and periods, and living in the male gaze, and being harassed in the street, and being called hysterical if I try to express upset, and called bossy for trying to progress at work, and SO much more.... count for nothing."

Well yes quite and we have already had someone on the thread come to tell you that this has nothing to do with being a woman.

Probably in a minute you will find out that all of that stuff is entirely irrelevant, there is no such thing as sex, gender is an internal feeling and the be-all and end-all, and henceforward you need to identify as "genderfluid" "agender" or "bigender" irrespective of the fact that that bloke who decides to wank at you on the tube sees "female" and proceeds accordingly.

Actually it would be great wouldn't it if all the women in the world, when confronted with a man about to do whatever, could say "hold on I'm not a woman I'm agender" and he'd say "oh righto I'll go and find someone who identifies as female to bother instead".

blibblobblub Sat 22-Aug-15 17:59:35

Well yes quite and we have already had someone on the thread come to tell you that this has nothing to do with being a woman.

Nope, not what I said at all.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sat 22-Aug-15 18:06:45

Well if Kellie is a heterosexual woman, then clearly the things the OP lists have nothing to do with being a heterosexual woman. They are things that women the world have a near universal experience of, and represent some of the ways we are oppressed and the reasons for it. But it's no longer true, is it, that "women experience these things" if actually the experience of growing up without a womb or periods, and having a penis, and being extremely unlikely to have sexual experienced sexual street harassment, and all the rest of it, are authentic girls experience. There is nothing shared any more between the people who are born to "it's a girl" and grow up with all that entails, in the country and society they are in. Makes doing feminism tricky.

Although I am a bit confused about what the sexuality side of it has to do with anything.

museumum Sat 22-Aug-15 18:07:36

Just because Kellie Malony is NOW a heterosexual woman doesn't mean she always was or that she can fully understand what it's like to grow up as one. I'm not sure what the problem is? It's about tense isn't it? What she is in the present tense isn't what she was and isn't the same as what other heterosexual women were.

Egosumquisum Sat 22-Aug-15 18:09:17

blibblobblub Sat 22-Aug-15 18:13:55

Whirlpool, by that logic I could then say that the things the OP has listed don't have anything to do with lesbian women, or bisexual women.

Gender and sexuality are completely different things! Discussing the difference between transgender and cisgender women's experiences is one thing, but I still don't see how declaring heterosexuality renders someone's experiences irrelevant.

LiesMyParentsToldMe Sat 22-Aug-15 18:15:49

Just because Kellie Maloney is NOW a heterosexual woman""

Woman isn't an identity you can put on and off like a coat. You don't just become a woman. Woman=Adult human female. It is not an identity, it is a lived reality. You either are an adult human female or you are not.

Sansoora Sat 22-Aug-15 18:16:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Egosumquisum Sat 22-Aug-15 18:18:33

Egosumquisum Sat 22-Aug-15 18:19:16

LiesMyParentsToldMe Sat 22-Aug-15 18:20:59

Well obviously you do just become one. BUT only if you are a girl (child, human female) and you turn 18.

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Sat 22-Aug-15 18:24:47

Hang on - if Kellie Maloney is now saying she's heterosexual, which I take to mean prefers men, does that mean Maloney always preferred men but was hiding it?

Fiorentinaflo Sat 22-Aug-15 18:25:57

lougle Sat 22-Aug-15 18:28:07

I've never got an answer to this and I'd really like to know:

What is the difference between a gay man and a heterosexual transwoman? Apart from physical appearance, surely it's the same in all other respects?

I struggle to understand the (apparent) logic of being attracted to the same sex, so concluding that you're actually the opposite sex trapped in the wrong body, rather than concluding that you are homosexual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now