Talk

Advanced search

Majority verdict FFS

(44 Posts)
grimbletart Sun 21-Dec-14 15:34:31

www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/local/rapist-given-life-for-sex-attacks-on-barmaid-walking-home-1-6483784

Also reported by several national newspapers.

By all standards this was a sexual offence right at the top end of the scale of horrible. It has all the elements that even rape apologists might think would make it an open and shut case plus it had a racial aggravation element to it (even though some deny that black on white racism is not really racism - but that's an argument for another thread).

Yet he was found guilty only by a majority verdict. We know there are rape apologists out there who think what rapist Chad Evans did was not rape, so there are people inclined never to believe woman no matter what.

But that case I've linked to leaves me asking what the hell has a woman to do to get a rape conviction if even that nightmare attack only gets a majority verdict?

yussetec Sun 21-Dec-14 15:53:56

So she sent a text message saying "help me" and a huge search even involving a helicopter was sent out?

Do you think a helicopter would be sent out if a guy had sent such a message?

And feminists complain women aren't taken seriously?

secretsantacalling Sun 21-Dec-14 15:57:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

yussetec Sun 21-Dec-14 16:01:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

YonicSleighdriver Sun 21-Dec-14 16:07:32

Secret, yussetec is all over FWR. Lalala.

secretsantacalling Sun 21-Dec-14 16:08:59

No, an appropriate response to a goady fucker. You don't deserve any other responds when you turn an article about a horrific rape into a what about the poor men. So yes fuck off.

RufusTheReindeer Sun 21-Dec-14 16:11:04

Aaawwww secret

That's a bit mean to poor yussetec who is obviously mentally incapable of responding to the OP

Some peoples brains don't function very well, indeed with some people you would be hard pressed to even find a brain and my mum always said not to mock the afflicted

Having said that she said nothing about telling them to fuck off hmm

In answer to grimble. I recently served on two juries and on both of them there was a single person who disagreed with the majority (they did change their mind after a while) for one of them it wasn't a matter of not believing the evidence, it was just that they thought it was unfair to the defendant ????

It beggars belief really

VashtaNerada Sun 21-Dec-14 16:12:18

It's a bit odd to join a thread in the feminist section simply to insult feminists. hmm If you don't like us, you might want to start your own thread on the topic elsewhere. Anyway, back to the topic in question... It's an absolutely horrible case. I can't begin to imagine why anyone would not find him guilty apart from misogynistic views although, of course, it's hard to comment properly without seeing the entire case.

RufusTheReindeer Sun 21-Dec-14 16:12:20

My post was to your original fuck off secret

Sorry for any misunderstanding

FarelyKnuts Sun 21-Dec-14 16:16:02

It's horrendous.
Can I just quote the prosecution (ie supposed to be on the victims side ffs!) getting in a little victim blaming there as well.

"Earlier the prosecutor said: “We all see the news and we know the dangers of walking home. For the woman, a nightmare came true that night.”"

It never ends does it? angry

secretsantacalling Sun 21-Dec-14 16:18:35

That's OK Rufus, just spotted the interesting response yusstec made on another thread and they are obviously hard of thinking.

PuffinsAreFictitious Sun 21-Dec-14 16:31:48

Yucwhatever

Do you think a helicopter would be sent out if a guy had sent such a message?

Yes. I have known such a thing to happen.

It would depend of course on whether the "guy" sent the message to someone who would bother themselves to help him. Men aren't very good at helping themselves, as evidenced by the number of them whining that women don't do enough to stop whatever your MRA group is saying that women don't do enough to help with this week.

HTH.

cailindana Sun 21-Dec-14 16:43:03

Leave yussetec alone. She's here isn't she? She's trying to get it. She is struggling, sometimes it's hard.

Yussetec, sweetheart, the OP isn't about helicopters. Try reading it again and see if you understand it this time.

yussetec Sun 21-Dec-14 16:44:05

"sent the message to someone who would bother themselves to help him."

That's the problem isn't it. We can't be bothered helping men, but we jump whenever a human without a penis needs help.

yussetec Sun 21-Dec-14 16:44:59

He was also convicted and given a life sentence. Isn't that enough?

cailindana Sun 21-Dec-14 16:46:13

Yussetec, darling, try reading it one more time. You're getting it. Keep going.

Boomtownsurprise Sun 21-Dec-14 16:47:08

Yussetec.

Don't speak for me you moron.

I am a feminist and share op concerns.

"Most" my arse.

cailindana Sun 21-Dec-14 16:47:58

Boomtown, Yussetec seems to be a bit...challenged. Please be kind. She's here, she's listening, so let's try to help her.

PuffinsAreFictitious Sun 21-Dec-14 16:49:07

Um, no, what I meant was... that the man in trouble sent the message to someone who would then bother to get them the help they need. Not that the emergency services wouldn't help a man, because they do. Sorry I wasn't clear.

And yes, it is enough that the rapist got a life sentence, what is disturbing is that that only came after a majority verdict, despite the victim being what is regarded as a 'good' victim and the rape being what is regarded as the 'right kind' of rape. Sorry that wasn't clear either.

cailindana Sun 21-Dec-14 16:50:38

You do have to very clear for Yussetec Puffins. She needs the help.

RufusTheReindeer Sun 21-Dec-14 16:52:57

caili

I assume that this is your good deed for the day, or a help the helpless type thing...anyway well done you.

I think you are definitely on santas good list this year

RufusTheReindeer Sun 21-Dec-14 16:53:36

Or is it help the hopeless

I always get confused

cailindana Sun 21-Dec-14 16:56:16

Yes Rufus, Yussetec seems really interested in feminism, she's here a lot, starts threads etc but she's really confused. She doesn't understand at all. But with a lot of help I think she could start to get it.

PuffinsAreFictitious Sun 21-Dec-14 16:59:31

Yes, sorry cailin, I might have come across a little cross at the beginning. I have adjusted my attitude now. fgrin

YvesJutteau Sun 21-Dec-14 17:03:48

"We can't be bothered helping men, but we jump whenever a human without a penis needs help."

A woman with a broken leg suffocated and died when she got her head stuck between the bars on her bed at Stafford Hospital after her cries for help were ignored by staff

Alexandra Kovacs trial: Murder victim's cries for help were ignored by flatmates

"Police have revealed that there were a number of people in the park at the time of the attack. Despite her screams nobody came to her aid."

Indian woman's cries for help ignored after Wallington thief strikes

"What this report shows is that young girls' cries for help were systematically ignored"

A WOMAN’S desperate screams for help were ignored – after a 50ft tree came crashing down on to the car she and two toddlers were in

A carer who was mugged in the street said passers-by ignored her shouts for help, a court heard

[[www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-461280/Murder-girls-cries-help-ignored.html "in the two months before her death she had warned police four times that she believed her family wanted to murder her [...] the police, however, dismissed her desperate warnings, with one female officer saying she thought she had made up the story to get her boyfriend's attention"]]

I presume all of these women must have had penises. What are the chances of that, eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now