Talk

Advanced search

Another person raped in the street - so common it doesn't make national news

(8 Posts)
kim147 Sun 30-Nov-14 20:22:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdithWeston Sun 30-Nov-14 20:24:39

In London, people being shot doesn't necessarily make the local, let alone national, news.

I don't think reporting every incident is going to do much about crime rates.

MyEmpireOfDirt Sun 30-Nov-14 20:37:11

MyEmpireOfDirt Sun 30-Nov-14 20:38:48

MyEmpireOfDirt Sun 30-Nov-14 20:39:30

SevenZarkSeven Sun 30-Nov-14 20:46:10

It's tricky isn't it as people have been trying to get the message out that you are most likely to be raped by someone you know etc and that has somehow got into the message that stranger rape is uncommon. When in fact stranger rape is not uncommon and acquaintance rape is very common indeed.

I don't think society is quite ready to accept how common a crime rape is generally, as that would mean some pretty unpalatable things. Similarly to child sex abuse being much more common than people like to think.

I do wonder at all of this. Not sure whether more reporting would help or whether it would mean people became desensitised to it. That certainly happened with the jimmy saville stuff - all these reports day after day and people just got bored.

Zazzles007 Mon 01-Dec-14 08:58:09

Its just another not-so-subtle reminder that women don't matter and crimes against women don't matter. As a comparison, a young male sports star has died recently where I am, and the out-pouring, grief, tributes from A-listers who probably never even met him is verging on the ridiculous. The time devoted to his death in prime time viewing is astounding. I am watching it all with a enormous sense of irony, given the relatively little attention that is given to women in the news.

QueenoftheRant Mon 01-Dec-14 09:16:44

While I agree with all of the comments so far, they show the main problem and it is sickening, there is also another point. In Britain the 'free press' so essential to the maintenance of democracy is more or less dead, killed by the requirements of big business. There are very few proper journalists around now to actually pick up and report these things. Go read "Flat Earth News" by Nick Davies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now