Talk

Advanced search

Did Tesco really need cheerleaders in skimpy black "underwear"; for Black Friday?

(60 Posts)
kim147 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:39:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarjorieMelon Fri 28-Nov-14 20:43:52

It's hideous.

mrssmith79 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:49:02

That was Asda, not Tesco. Tacky all the same.

AICM Fri 28-Nov-14 20:54:59

I's 18 seconds in.

I don't like it but don't feel I have the right to say to these women that they should not be allowed to do it they chose to.

On the basis of this video society has bigger issues.

kim147 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:02:03

southeastastra Fri 28-Nov-14 21:11:16

to goad people on for the camera? I was surprised at the amount of cameras there seemed set up

MoonAndBackAgain Fri 28-Nov-14 21:19:01

Pathetic and unnecessary.

SevenZarkSeven Fri 28-Nov-14 21:32:29

I assume they were hired by the shop?

WTF?

Why?

Zazzles007 Fri 28-Nov-14 21:40:01

Urgh, just revolting. Women-as-supermarket-decoration, such a multitude of ways for women to be 'used' hmm.

SevenZarkSeven Fri 28-Nov-14 21:42:53

YY it seems there isn't any situation or event that can't be enhanced by the addition of some women in scanty / tight clothes.

owlbegoing Fri 28-Nov-14 21:43:03

Asda are owned by Walmart so I guess they thought that it added to the American theme??
Totally unnecessary!

SevenZarkSeven Fri 28-Nov-14 21:45:49

I misread that as Asda are owned by Waitrose and my jaw quite literally dropped as my entire understanding of how the world works came crashing down around my ears... grin

scallopsrgreat Sat 29-Nov-14 10:14:08

Walmart have had several sex discrimination cases filed against them recently including a massive class action that failed (and has huge repercussions for women in the workplace in the US). So this does not surprise me.

And lol at telling women they should not be 'allowed' to do it.

ApocalypseThen Sat 29-Nov-14 10:24:50

I don't like it but don't feel I have the right to say to these women that they should not be allowed to do it they chose to.

Nobody has made any such comment though, that's an entire misdirection by you. The question is what does it say about society that events are heralded by displaying women in this way.

Thehedgehogsong Sat 29-Nov-14 10:30:15

Hmm I'm all for cheerleading as a sport but this wasn't cheerleading, it was just girls in skimpy clothes. Can't understand it, it's very odd!

AICM Sat 29-Nov-14 13:52:22

I accept that I may have misdirected here, I can understand why you say that and I see your point.

The point I was making, and I am open to being wrong on this, is that if those individual women chose to dress as they do in that situation then no matter what I think then it's OK. Wouldn't "using women as decoration" stop instantly if women ourselves just said no? Isn't the ball in our court on this one? If the Asda MANagement were turned down by the women they asked to do this then this wouldn't happen.

As I say I'm happy to accept I'm wrong; these are just my (not very well informed) thoughts!

scallopsrgreat Sat 29-Nov-14 14:01:30

Nope AICM because women are still viewed as decoration, by men. No matter what we say. That's what has to change. That's the root of the problem.

kim147 Sat 29-Nov-14 14:05:55

AICM Sat 29-Nov-14 15:26:58

I think Buffy (as ever) says it best.

Kim, what if they are not struggling for money? Would you blame them then?

Chunderella Sat 29-Nov-14 15:42:06

The idea that this would all stop if women just said no is a neat one. It's true that we couldn't stop men from viewing us as decoration anyway, so our actions may not actually make much difference, but in theory we could all at least refuse to co-operate with it, yes.

However...

That can't be divorced from economic or social reality. For one thing, we all know we're experiencing a tough, tough recession. It can't be assumed that everyone who takes paid work has had a choice in what they do. It could never be, really, but we're experiencing particular pressure at the moment. That video appears to be from Wigan, an area where there is not enough work available for all the people who need it. For another, even when people are able to make choices about their employment, they don't get to make them in a vacuum. Women who freely choose what others might consider to be exploitative work generally do so because they consider it to be the best option available to them. This might be because it's better paid than other work, it has better terms and conditions, or because it's the only thing that fits with their caring responsibilities even though they think it's shit in every other way. Or they might choose to do this work even where it's less advantageous than other jobs they might get- perhaps the cheerleaders were paid less per hour than the cashiers, or the security guards- but they considered the extra glamour and excitement of performing to be worth foregoing financial advantage. Put bluntly, it may make them happier than doing anything else would. That doesn't happen in a vacuum either.

kim147 Sat 29-Nov-14 16:09:00

Chunderella Sat 29-Nov-14 16:18:09

Absolutely. It's true that if every woman on the planet had refused to cheerlead, it wouldn't have happened, but the other side to that coin is that it also wouldn't have happened if Asda hadn't wanted it to.

kim147 Sat 29-Nov-14 16:18:57

iwantavuvezela Sat 29-Nov-14 16:23:30

Absolutely agree with you OP.
When will this nonsense stop, who in PR or marketing or whoever thinks this up and STILL thinks this is where we are in our thinking of women, hire people, give them a job or work but please stop this limited and damaging portrayal of women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now