Talk

Advanced search

campaign to end gender based hate speech on Facebook

(16 Posts)
PromQueenWithin Tue 21-May-13 14:57:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LastMangoInParis Tue 21-May-13 19:02:12

Thank you PQW!

I just read about this - and am delighted that these companies have seemingly responded so well to this campaign (also furious and amazed and how staggeringly, surreally idiotic Fb have been in its apathy about these pages - particularly when they've been so on the case in removing pictures showing breastfeeding).

Great campaign, well worth reading about and supporting.

LeStewpot Tue 21-May-13 19:44:55

OddBoots Wed 22-May-13 13:27:09

It seems this campaign it building up international steam, as well it might. Some of the FB pages are absolutely awful

on Salon "Soraya Chemaly, one of the framers of the project, told Salon on Tuesday that last fall, a reader contacted her via Facebook and told her to investigate something she’d found posted there. “She said she’d reported it several times and that it had been up a long time,” she said. It was a nearly seven-minute video of a woman walking by a roadside, who is then grabbed and gang-raped. “It had been up for 24 days. It had hundreds of views,” says Chemaly. “It’s incomprehensible how it could be up for this length of time.” "

The FBrape hashtag is very busy.

EduCated Wed 22-May-13 13:48:04

Yes, saw this and pleased that companies seem to be coming on board with it.

If only FB will listen.

PromQueenWithin Wed 22-May-13 13:51:18

EduCated Wed 22-May-13 13:54:33

Yes, you're right. Some companies. I hope the others follow suit. None of the huge multinationals seem to have responded yet. Sadly I don't think Ocado hold that much away with FB.

OddBoots Wed 22-May-13 14:01:24

Sad that Vistprint seem to have just brushed it away, their response gives the impression of a 'what can we do' shrug.

What they can do is very simple, if FB won't give you any promises about reactively moderating in a timely fashion then don't pay them to associate your logo with hate speech.

It's not beyond the wit of man to have some trigger words in group titles that would make a moderator do an assessment in association with employing enough moderators to react to that and to alerts people make. Any alert should be dealt with within 24h as an absolute minimum.

Darkesteyes Wed 22-May-13 14:39:18

I saw someone say yesterday (cant remember whether it was on MN or not) that Zuckerbergs frat house origins are showing through.
And i couldnt agree more.

PromQueenWithin Wed 22-May-13 15:11:30

StrangeGlue Sat 25-May-13 23:21:14

You can tweet, email and Facebook advertisers who are yet to respond (including dove!) here http://www.womenactionmedia.org/examples-of-gender-based-hate-speech-on-facebook/

carovioletfizz Sun 26-May-13 22:17:56

This page makes it really easy to take action
www.womenactionmedia.org/facebookaction/

KaseyM Tue 28-May-13 22:38:00

Great News!

Didn't expect it to be that soon! Shows what can be done when we all get together! smile

skrumle Tue 28-May-13 22:52:08

a bit vague but a massive victory to have them even admit there is a problem!

EduCated Tue 28-May-13 23:09:30

We! Seems like tentative congratulations and celebrations in order, though the real test will be seeing how this plays out in reality.

Italiangreyhound Wed 29-May-13 01:30:02

It shows that people complaining can make a difference but pretty bloody sad to have all that crap on the internet in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now