Talk

Advanced search

You'll like this: paternity pay is 28 weeks, maternity is 26 weeks.

(31 Posts)
Reality Thu 13-Oct-11 17:33:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madwomanintheattic Thu 13-Oct-11 17:37:51

shock

i don't know whether to laugh or cry. i'm assuming it's because it hadn't even occurred to them that any man would actually take the pat pay package, and they just whanged it in for the equal opportunity assessment and didn't think to revise the un equal bit accordingly... <sigh>

skrumle Thu 13-Oct-11 17:38:13

women are obliged by law are they not to have a minimum time off work (2 weeks?) so they couldn't possibly pass on the full 26week entitlement could they?

and how does the mother not taking it work as a business model - is it only applied to couples who both work for the same company? otherwise how could you police it?

Reality Thu 13-Oct-11 17:40:16

LittleMissWoodscommaElle Thu 13-Oct-11 17:55:58

Statutory paternity leave isn't full pay though is it -its some ridiclously low figure.

Is she sure she has got it right?

So the mother gets 6 weeks at full pay plus 26 weeks at half pay whch equals 52 weeks

My guess is the father gets 26 weeks full pay and 2 weeks statutory pay.

SardineQueen Thu 13-Oct-11 18:07:28

I worked somewhere once where

The women go stat min
The men got full pay for the 2 weeks ie not stat min

When I asked about why the men got > stat min and the women got stat min I was told it would cost too much to offer the same to the women. What, too much to offer the women 2 weeks at full pay and then stat min?

Bollocks to that.

incognitofornow Thu 13-Oct-11 18:13:24

Message withdrawn

incognitofornow Thu 13-Oct-11 18:18:23

Message withdrawn

incognitofornow Thu 13-Oct-11 18:19:31

Message withdrawn

Reality Thu 13-Oct-11 18:32:23

incognitofornow Thu 13-Oct-11 18:34:26

Message withdrawn

Reality Thu 13-Oct-11 18:40:48

incognitofornow Thu 13-Oct-11 18:43:06

Message withdrawn

incognitofornow Thu 13-Oct-11 18:44:15

Message withdrawn

Reality Thu 13-Oct-11 18:48:48

SardineQueen Thu 13-Oct-11 21:03:32

Congratulations smile

Dh also took a month for both of ours, I reckon that is a minimum. It's not just the mother who needs time to adjust and get to know the baby smile And I had sections for both and BF so wasn't much cop TBH grin

forkful Thu 13-Oct-11 21:21:09

shock

looks like they haven't combined the two policies.

Perhaps your sis had better get onto that before her 13 months off!

Otherwise some of the female employees could complain!

I had stat maternity pay only but there were plenty of men who went on paternity leave and although the company policy was stat paternity pay lots of managers authorised full pay for those 2 weeks. <I knew as I had access to payroll data!> shock angry

Really really shit TBH.

Twas in my pre-feminist days so I didn't say anything!

chickentikkatellmethetruth Thu 13-Oct-11 21:38:15

I doubt she's getting 6 months SMP. I got 6 months full pay, 3 months SMP, then 3 months unpaid which is fairly standard for a decent enhanced maternity package. I have heard of one place that does full pay for a year.

As others have said, this doesn't sound like a wider feminist issue, per se. More that they haven't yet adjusted their paternity policy to reflect the changes. I can't see a company offering 28 weeks paternity on full pay when they could just offer 26 without it being a mistake.

KatAndKit Mon 17-Oct-11 20:17:54

I can see that this is unfair, however they are not obliged to pay the paternity leave at full pay, they just choose to do so, perhaps because their maternity leave is also generous? The 26 weeks will not be at full pay I reckon. The last three months would be unpaid, as it also is for women who choose to take the full 12 months off. The woman would get the majority of the "good" maternity pay at the beginning (90% for six weeks etc) and the man would get the smp and the unpaid bit. And they aren't automatically entitled to this leave, they ONLY get it if the woman chooses not to return to work. And it does work if they work for different companies as the government will know if a woman is receiving SMP. There is probably some official tax office paperwork about transferring the remainder of the leave. And it doesn't have to be 26 weeks surely, it can be UP TO 26 weeks, depending on when the woman returns to work. Also she can keep all the leave for herself if she is worried about men "stealing" it and getting one up on her!

The two weeks at the beginning are surely quite important though if the father of the baby is to be there to support the mother.

I think it is good for everyone if there are going to be more flexible ways of organising parental leave. The current system assumes the man is the main breadwinner which is not always the case. Many women need to work after 26 weeks for financial reasons and this gives families a way of the baby still being cared for by a parent when it is very young. this could actually be good for women who wish to avoid their career suffering due to them having to do all of the maternity leave.

Want2bSupermum Mon 17-Oct-11 20:29:17

Oh I am laughing here in the US. DH took the day off after DD was born and then 6 days off spread out over the first two weeks of me being home with DD. I had a CS so was rather sore. His boss, who went on at the Christmas party about their employer being family-centric, wouldn't give any paternity leave to DH! He was told that he has 5 wks of holiday a year which is more than double compared to what others get.

DD is now 14wks and I have decided to go back to work early. DD started daycare last week and thrived. If she hadn't done well at daycare the HR director said she could reverse the paperwork and I could come back in January. My employer hasn't paid anything to me since I stopped working in June. I have been paid through disability insurance with the state.

Seriously though, men and women are not equal so why pretend that they are. Why does a man need 6 months of maternity leave? I don't see men giving birth anytime soon. If they were I would be the first to give them equal benefits.

KatAndKit Mon 17-Oct-11 20:35:19

A man doesn't need "maternity leave" but a man is still a parent. The government are supposed to be introducing a system to allow women to CHOOSE to share the parental leave with the father. The woman has to have the first six months (obviously she is the one giving birth to a baby). She can either then choose to have another six months leave, or choose to give all or some of the remainder of that leave to the father, so he can stay at home with the baby while she goes back to work. This sounds like a very fair system. Nobody is forcing women back to work early, but it gives them an option to go back and still have the baby cared for by a parent. For some families, this may make the best economic sense.

Men and women are both equal in the sense that they are both parents and both should have the right to spend some time being the carer of their baby if they choose.

Anyway I doubt many men will be rushing to take up this offer as most of it will be unpaid.

Remember that women in this country can take all 52 weeks for themselves if they like. While I think the SMP should be rather more generous and should be paid for the entire 12 months, I do think we get a better deal than a number of other countries.

KRITIQ Mon 17-Oct-11 21:02:27

Supermum, I forgot just how family unfriendly American employers are. My niece felt compelled to get back to work within a few weeks of giving birth because they needed the money and there were hints that she wasn't showing enough "commitment," so she struggled along, despite suffering PND. Geez, however crap it might seem here, at least it ain't that bad.

Trills Mon 17-Oct-11 21:55:06

Does your sister work at the same place as her DH then?

Because if they work at different places I don't see how "if the mother isn't taking it" makes the slightest bit of difference to the other employer who is the employer of the father.

Also as skrmule says, women must by law take 2 weeks off after birth, so the woman could not possibly pass over a whole 26 weeks so a man could not be entitled to a total of 28 weeks.

forkful Mon 17-Oct-11 23:44:41

^ Why does a man need 6 months of maternity leave?^.

So that he can look after the baby! confused

The wife may earn more/enjoy her career more.

In Sweden there have been very positive effects of men taking extended paternity leave - it has lead to a more equal society. Less penalty to the woman's career v a man's career. More equally shared parenting as the man learns to do the everyday care and when both parents are back at work can share the drop offs/pick ups/days of sick etc.

This means more women in positions of power in business and politics hence more family friendly intiatives - a virtuous circle!

Want2bSupermum Tue 18-Oct-11 00:27:37

Kritiq Ironically DH is Danish as his is boss and he is over here working for a Danish subsidiary. My employer is American and very family friendly. They are very willing to work with me and have told me that DD comes first. If daycare call due to her being ill then I should call in and they will send someone else out to replace me. A girl in another office had a miscarriage at 22wks. They didn't have to give her any leave but they let her take a year off. Another employee lost his wife to cancer. They gave him unlimited leave while she was ill and they were so supportive after she passed away. While some employers here do just follow the law, many go a long way to keep employees. The trick is to not work for a Fortune 500 employer while bearing children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now