Talk

Advanced search

Roseanne Barr on Feminism and Fame - interesting read.

(10 Posts)
Rainydaze Sat 11-Jun-11 12:59:23

This is interesting article, by Roseanne: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/jun/11/roseanne-barr-on-fame

Not sure about the phrases about "white bitches", but worth a read.

hocuspontas Sat 11-Jun-11 13:33:00

Thanks for that. Roseanne was my TV heroine of the 90s and the sitcom was a one-off triumph. I'd love to know if men found it as funny as women!

Regarding the picture credits in the article - George Clooney is described as a 'star' of the show. He definitely wasn't a star back then and only appeared in a few episodes anyway. The stars were Roseanne, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalfe not George! Cheek!

Rainydaze Sat 11-Jun-11 13:50:09

It could've also read something like "the first working-class sitcom in the US", as opposed to "the first working-class sitcom." We Brits had been at it for decades before Roseanne hit our screens!

My mum loved watching 'Roseanne'. My dad liked the theme tune!

She had a lot of cosmetic surgery at one stage, I seem to remember. I'm not arguing that this is anti-feminism (I've undergone a procedure myself by the way), but I wonder why she did it. Was it to remain acceptable in the eyes of the US Networks? I think she had facial work and liposuction.

RamblingRosa Sat 11-Jun-11 21:06:58

I thought it was a good article too.

PrinceHumperdink Sat 11-Jun-11 21:18:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mashyup Sat 11-Jun-11 23:55:58

I read this article today and liked it, I used to like watching 'Roseanne'. I remember at the time some fuss about John Goodman standing up for her, but didn't realise what a hard time she had had trying to control her own show, naive of me, bit depressing really.

TeiTetua Sun 12-Jun-11 04:09:41

Where was she in the 1970s when "All in the Family" was on American TV? Of course it was only top of the ratings for 5 years, so maybe she missed it.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 12-Jun-11 12:15:33

She said it was the first working-class feminist sitcom - All In The Family was definitely not a feminist show!

(I liked the show a lot. I thought the article was pretty good, but she does come across as a bit of a self-obsessed nutter ... but then she's a Hollywood star, so that's probably not a surprise ...)

CheerfulYank Mon 13-Jun-11 05:59:31

I LOVE Roseanne. smile

sprogger Mon 13-Jun-11 09:47:40

NotQuiteCockney - well, she is a comedian. Anyone who's willing to put themselves through stand-up has got to have a pretty full-on sense of self.

My favourite bit of the article was when she described the 4-hour fight she had with her incredibly misogynistic producer over the line change. Her explanation for why she refused to say the line - because it required her on-screen character to belittle her husband, which she wouldn't do as she loved and respected him - was really telling.

It's so typical, with the misogynist insisting on trying to force "man-hater" lines into her mouth while she dug her heels in and refused to play along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now