Advanced search

Germaine Greer on Question Time tonight

(74 Posts)
celadon Thu 09-Jun-11 20:43:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smallwhitecat Thu 09-Jun-11 20:46:02

Message withdrawn

chibi Thu 09-Jun-11 20:47:33

This will be on iplayer i hope, i have hardcore lurgy at the moment, am going to conk out imminently but v interested

claig Thu 09-Jun-11 20:54:06

great thanks for letting us know. Here are the other guests

'David Dimbleby is joined in Norwich by Andrew Mitchell, Charles Clarke, Jo Swinson, Germaine Greer and Peter Hitchens.'

Germaine Greer is great, and I also like Hitchens. Should be an interesting programme.

celadon Thu 09-Jun-11 20:55:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SybilBeddows Thu 09-Jun-11 21:32:59

will try and stay up for it! thanks.

thaigreencurry Thu 09-Jun-11 21:37:36

You like Hitchens, really?

He is very watchable because he holds such absurd views. I always thought they had him on for entertainment purposes, I didn't think he was supposed to be taken seriously.

claig Thu 09-Jun-11 21:45:52

I like Hitchens because he says things progressives never say. He casts doubt on their global warming story, for example. I like people who tell the truth. That's why I have also changed my mind about Julie Burchill. She also says things that progressives won't say. Here is one of her great articles

www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/julie-burchill/julie-burchill-so-the-prince-of-green-hypocrites-is-going-on-tour-thank-god-ill-be-abroad-2055351.html

It is interesting that Hitchens was a Trotskyite in his youth, just like his brother, and Julie Burchill is also on the left.

LadyBlaBlah Thu 09-Jun-11 23:14:18

Hitchens is being truly awful tonight - he thinks sex education is propaganda for promiscuity. confused

Greer is just 'offending' all the menz which is rather marvellous

Primalscream Thu 09-Jun-11 23:16:06

Hitchens is the only one talking sense

claig Thu 09-Jun-11 23:20:12

agree, Primalscream, as usual

LadyBlaBlah Thu 09-Jun-11 23:22:16

Sense? OMG. The guy is a parasite

sunshineandbooks Thu 09-Jun-11 23:28:13

Peter Hitchens has regularly taken my breath away with his ludicrous right-wing misogynistic views. He's yet another man who goes on about single mothers getting pregnant to get council houses while conveniently forgetting that it takes two to make a baby, that most single mothers are divorced/separated, less than 8% are teenagers and that 3 out of 5 men don't pay maintenance. Found him pretty hard to take seriously after that. Will watch this on iplayer tomorrow but I'm off to bed now.

hammybobs Thu 09-Jun-11 23:49:08

Could someone elaborate on the theme that so offended that bloke in the audience, about girls kissing daddy being taught to flirt? I'm one of those 'silent majority' eager to learn, but struggling to explain the concept behind that theory. Also, brain not functioning that great, due to sleep deprivation.

claig Fri 10-Jun-11 00:02:25

I can't explain it. I thought it was a very strange thing to say.

vouvrey Fri 10-Jun-11 00:24:46

I was quite shocked when I heard her say that. I think I understand what she meant but I wonder of she delibertly said something v provocativeor if she just didn't getting her ponit across right? She has a point thatlittle girls are more pressurised into showing love through physical expression, like kissing, than little boys. I wonder of the offended man in the audience has boys?

Apparently there is a furore about this on twitter.

BoiledFrog Fri 10-Jun-11 00:27:02

It was very strange, I encourage our young boys to say goodnight, kiss daddy/siblings before bed. I gather from this if they turn out gay I will be to blame for encouraging my young boys to flirt with their siblings and father hmm.

This kind of bollocks rhetoric is why feminists are generally dismissed, lets face it, she is the most famous feminist atm.

MisterDarsey Fri 10-Jun-11 00:27:20

Greer also had some very strange things to say about the Libyan rape issue. In fact tonight's show felt like a competition between her and Hitchens to see who could say the maddest, most offensive thing.

claig Fri 10-Jun-11 00:28:21

I think she made a very big mistake and failed to backtrack. It probably is something she really believes, but she made the mistake of saying it, and didn't try to find a way out of it.

claig Fri 10-Jun-11 00:30:33

Greer had a very similar point of view to Hitchens over the Libyan rape issue. They both implied that what we are being told may not be real.

claig Fri 10-Jun-11 00:32:15

is there a link for the twitter discussion?

BoiledFrog Fri 10-Jun-11 00:57:26

I tried to understand wrt to the girls being positively reinforced for coy and shy behaviour, but no IME it's just bollocks. Girls or boys will kiss goodnight or whatever, if they feel like it, won't if they don't.

It's a bit of a blind alley of a discussion, I hardly think it's very influential in the great scheme of things.

BoiledFrog Fri 10-Jun-11 00:58:08

Just offensive for the sake of it.

claig Fri 10-Jun-11 01:02:59

yes offensive, but also strange in that she presumably believes it

BoiledFrog Fri 10-Jun-11 01:07:50

Well yes she must believe it to air it on Question Time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: