Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Another footballer involved in rape/sexual assault gets supported by club...

(21 Posts)
PosieParker Thu 23-Sep-10 07:35:53

here just heard on the radio the club are 'standing by him' what does that mean? That they assume he's innocent?

Tortington Thu 23-Sep-10 07:43:04

hsouldnt we all assume he is innocent until proven guilty?

PosieParker Thu 23-Sep-10 07:46:48

But the declaration of standing by, no suspension?

LinenBasket Thu 23-Sep-10 07:49:30

Innocent until proven guilty.

He will lose his job soon enough if found guilty.

Tortington Thu 23-Sep-10 07:49:37

should joe bloggs working at tesco be suspended from work if he was accused of rape?

no.

he is innocent until proven guilty

LeninGrad Thu 23-Sep-10 15:59:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SolidGoldBrass Thu 23-Sep-10 16:48:49

There is a difference between being accused of assault and being convicted of it, Lenin. Until a person has been convicted of a crime s/he is legally to be presumed innocent, and it would be quite wrong of an employer to sack the person on the grounds that s/he 'must have done it' when the person is intending to plead not guilty to any charges

Just because some footballers are woman-hating pigs and do engage in rape doesn't mean they all are, and every individual not yet convicted of an offence deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt.

LeninGrad Thu 23-Sep-10 18:56:37

ccpccp Thu 23-Sep-10 19:01:24

Footballers are targetted for these kind of accusations nowadays. There is a lot of money to be made from the newspapers.

Guilty when hes proven guilty.

LeninGrad Thu 23-Sep-10 19:03:56

LeninGrad Thu 23-Sep-10 19:07:03

SolidGoldBrass Thu 23-Sep-10 20:00:20

It is, of course, possible that the club, ie people close to the accused, know him better than a bunch of randoms on the internet and therefore at least have faith that he is innocent. It's also possible that if they thought he was guilty, they might have decided not to comment.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Fri 24-Sep-10 01:12:28

ccpccp - that is completely vile.

see a lot of rape victims parading their stories do you?

fuckiing disgusting, to say this what is it a third or half of all rape victims feel too upset and ashamed to tell anybody.

foreverastudent Fri 24-Sep-10 22:39:14

If he was accused of child sex abuse i dont think they'be sovready to defend him.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Sat 25-Sep-10 00:47:39

Saw on the news earlier about the postman in Cornwall who has been found guilty of horrible child sex/grooming offences. He was sacked or suspended when he was arrested.

SolidGoldBrass Sat 25-Sep-10 20:58:56

I am a little uneasy about the fact that anyone charged with a crime, no matter how horrible, can be sacked before s/he has been tried if s/he is claiming to be innocent of the crime. I suppose there is a grey area when someone is put on remand (for one thing, it's difficult for an employer to keep someone's job open if s/he is imprisoned on remand for a long time).

bluenordic Sat 25-Sep-10 21:03:37

Innocent until proved guilty - anyone can make up accusations out of malice.

MollieO Sat 25-Sep-10 21:07:13

He should have been suspended by the club for being on a night out when he shouldn't have been, let alone the allegations.

pozzled Sat 25-Sep-10 21:11:36

"He should have been suspended by the club for being on a night out when he shouldn't have been, let alone the allegations."

Am intrigued by this- why shouldn't he have been on a night out, I haven't read or seen that. Also, to what extent can a football club control their employees' free time- is it stated in their contract? (Sorry, bit off topic)

As for the allegations- innocent until proven guilty. But I would expect a 'no comment' rather than 'stand by him' if they had reason for believing him to be guilty.

MollieO Sat 25-Sep-10 21:20:42

It was a Tuesday night. I assume they had a game on the Wednesday (don't know but they reported that his manager said he shouldn't have been out).

user1482899995 Wed 28-Dec-16 05:10:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now