Talk

Advanced search

The 19th Wife

(9 Posts)
slayerette Wed 12-Aug-09 22:25:31

Picked this up in the library almost at random and am really absorbed in it. Anyone read it? - what did you think? The historical thread telling of the very beginning of the Church of the Latter Day Saints is so interesting!

MaggieBelleVirgo Wed 12-Aug-09 23:11:06

Brilliant. LOVED this book.

I want to read the other one he wrote. ABout transgender I think?? don't know but it's sure to be well-researched and with a great story at the centre of it.

Badgermoose Fri 14-Aug-09 15:16:06

I really enjoyed most of it. Found the history fascinating, but I thought the modern part slightly ran out of steam a bit in the final part and left me feeling slightly disappointed at the end

Sallypuss Tue 18-Aug-09 14:54:56

Agree with Badgermoose. Felt a bit hard done by at the end.

arolf Tue 18-Aug-09 15:11:09

I enjoyed it too - but agree that it didn't end in a particularly satisfactory way. I read another book on Mormons called 'Under the Banner of Heaven' by John Krakauer (I think), which was just as absorbing, but not a novel - making it even more scary to read! It's ostensibly about a murder case, but is in fact more of a history of the religion - really interesting.

slayerette Tue 18-Aug-09 15:12:24

Yes - having now finished it I thought the historical part (which I thought I would find heavy going) was absolutely brilliant and the modern part a little disappointing. The end was slightly 'meh'.

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 18-Aug-09 15:13:46

Fab book - loved finding out more about mormons and the whole Brigham Young - studied American West at GCSE.

Portofino Tue 18-Aug-09 15:20:43

I enjoyed it too. According to my family tree, distant relatives of mine made the original journey out to Utah with Brigham Young, so I was already interested in the history.

troutpout Tue 18-Aug-09 19:17:15

I really enjoyed the historical part... but really disliked the modern story...didn't give a toss about the characters..and the blardy dog got on my wick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now