Talk

Advanced search

My Sister's keeper. Suitable for a 13 year old?

(27 Posts)
smartiejake Sun 05-Jul-09 10:33:40

My DD wants to read this. It's a while since I read it and not sure if I should let her.

Any opinions?

lisad123 Sun 05-Jul-09 10:36:28

I would say yes aslong as she is sensible. It is a sad book but then again so is life.

stitchtime Sun 05-Jul-09 10:38:17

age thirteen, i never had any books censored fore me.

smartiejake Sun 05-Jul-09 10:38:29

SHe is very sensible and don't think the themes would unduly worry her.

yappybluedog Sun 05-Jul-09 11:24:17

I would say yes too, you can discuss any questions she may have

TheFool Sun 05-Jul-09 11:42:16

At 13 I would say pretty much all books are ok except heavily sex based ones.

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 05-Jul-09 11:43:40

I would say yes. She may read it herself anyway in secret if you say no, but then feel unable to discuss it/ask questions which is where probs could arise.

ChasingSquirrels Sun 05-Jul-09 11:44:16

I was reading Harold Robins at 13/14 - good god!

I would think My Sister's Keeper would be fine, but then it's a long time since I was 13 and I only had 6 and 3yo boys.

TheFool Sun 05-Jul-09 11:45:17

To be honest as well - I think that it probably is more of a book to affect mothers than girls the same age iyswim

janeite Sun 05-Jul-09 16:35:04

I think it would be fine. Having said that, lots of teen fiction is much better written than Jodie P!

I was reading Virginia Andrews (incest), James Herbert (lesbians and masturbating teachers iirc!) and Stephen King (deranged clowns etc) at 13!!

Actually I think my 14 year old might like JP. She has just read all of Austen's and all the Shopaholic books and is in a reading-limbo again now.

smartiejake Sun 05-Jul-09 20:32:24

WHich teen fiction would you recommend then? janeite? SHe is going through a phase of thinking reading is boring (having spent most of her earlier years with her nose permanently in a book!)

I had thought about the "Noughts and Crosses" trilogy by Malorie Blackman but would be open to any other ideas (but not Twilight as she didn't like that.)

SHe has actually started "My Sister's keeper" today and seems hooked already.

giraffescantdancethetango Mon 06-Jul-09 11:37:40

I remember loving Happy endings by Adele Geras as a teenager.

seeker Mon 06-Jul-09 11:42:08

My 13 year old has refused to read any Jodie P because she's seen me weeping buckets over them!

janeite Mon 06-Jul-09 19:59:14

Noughts And Crosses and the next two in the series are excellent; the final one, however (published last year iirc) is rubbish.

DD has just read one called 'Before I Die' which she enjoyed: have not read it personally so can't vouch for it. It's about a girl dying from cancer I think, so hard-hitting in a JP way I guess.

Has she read the Shopaholic books? They are inane nonsense tbh but dd1 rather liked them!

Also the Angus, Things series is fun - and features teenage girls coming to terms with norks, snogging, make up etc.

yappybluedog Mon 06-Jul-09 20:27:27

Before I Die is fantastic, but utterly heartbreaking

Another good book for this age is Looking for JJ, and also Boy A - both books explore similar themes

TheFool Mon 06-Jul-09 20:39:35

Oh yes - Looking for JJ

janeite Mon 06-Jul-09 21:37:17

Boy A is v good. Looking For JJ is okay. Both v interesting, as you sympathise with people who did awful things and both leave you with more questions than they give answers. Boy A more 'mature' in content: I must admit I wouldn't want dd reading it yet.

smartiejake Mon 06-Jul-09 23:29:44

Thanks for your suggestions.DD has read all the Angus Thongs books (they look hideous but she seemed to enjoy them!) Will look into the other suggestions- hadn't thought of the shopaholics books.

janeite Tue 07-Jul-09 19:57:14

I read my first Georgette Heyer recently (Regency romance) and loved it. I kept thinking how I would have adored it as a teenager. It is like Jane Austen crossed with Jilly Cooper! I'm going to try and track some down for dd1 in the library.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 08-Jul-09 10:20:12

I was reading Jackie Collins and good old Jilly Cooper at that age grin

Nick Hornby books are also very good for teenagers - my dd has read About a Boy and the one about Arsenal and seems to enjoy them.

yappybluedog Wed 08-Jul-09 14:53:14

I was reading victorian erotic fiction & the Joy
of sex that I'd found hidden in my mother's room

<shudder>

janeite Wed 08-Jul-09 17:49:45

Oh yes, 'About A Boy' is lovely -and the film is v good too. I often find that dd will read things if she watches the film too: that's how she read the Austens.

smartiejake Wed 08-Jul-09 18:49:04

"About a boy" yes I have that one I think she would love that- good idea! Perhaps she could see the film after she's read it though (prefer her to read it first)

smartiejake Wed 08-Jul-09 18:51:27

yappybluedog Joy of sex! grin<goes and hides dusty copy in the cupboard in bedroom>

Did you develop a lust for lanky bearded hippy blokes as a result!

yappybluedog Wed 08-Jul-09 19:21:24

no, the very opposite

<double shudder>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now