Talk

Advanced search

Books about Edinburgh

(29 Posts)
redbamboo82 Fri 01-Aug-08 14:34:21

Feeling terrible nostalgic about this city at the minute, where I spent some of the best years of my life. Am thinking a good read is cheaper than a visit. These are my favourites but have I missed any gems?

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
...Jekyll and Hyde
All Ian Rankin Rebus novels
Anything by Irvine Welsh
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson

hannahsaunt Fri 01-Aug-08 14:47:22

I like the Isabel Dalhousie ones by Alexander McCall Smith as well as the 44 Scotland Street ones. They are very Edinburgh.

Another very good crime series are the Bob Skinner books by Quintin Jardine - almost as good as Ian Rankin.

HTH

TwoIfBySea Fri 01-Aug-08 22:09:40

I'm reading 4th 44 Scotland Street book at the moment. Agh, Irene!

pointydog Fri 01-Aug-08 22:23:22

I recently read Scotland Street. Felt it was a bit aimless, didn't tie up. All very nice but...

ScottishMummy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:25:30

when i think of auld reekie i read REBUS,Miss JBrodie,IWelsh

pointydog Fri 01-Aug-08 22:26:33

just read op - yes, scotland street good for someone feeling nostalgic for edinburgh

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 22:28:27

how about some non-fiction, too?

i've got The Town Under the Ground and Ghostly Tales and Sinister Stories of Edinburgh and Curious Edinburgh.

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 22:29:18

Reading the latest kate Atkinson at the moment and struggling a bit with it, which is a shame as I've really enjoyed her other books.

Have also enjoyed the Scotland Street books - agree re Irene! wonder what she would post on here (though I think she would psychoanalyse mn out of existence!!)

ScottishMummy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:29:54

oh interesting must check them out - ta

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 22:30:21

Oh, I like Alexander M-S!

ScottishMummy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:31:21

expat aye the books - must check them out

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 22:35:49

Wanna know something really eerie?

One of the chaps who wrote Ghostly Tales and Sinister Stories, Alan Wilson, was once a history teacher at Gillespie.

Then it was discovered he was luring his teenage male students to his Royal Mile flat, plying them with alcohol and molesting them.

He was disgraced and sent to jail for a time, and met a lot of really rogue characters there.

A couple of years after his release, his body was discovered, chopped into bits in a communal garden in Merchiston. Some bloke he'd met in jail had done him in.

He effectively became a Sinister Story.

ScottishMummy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:38:01

Ach my god news to me just asked ma man and he kens it well

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 22:39:52

alanwilson

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 22:41:34

i wonder if any harm ever came to these two chaps for messing with Mackenzie's tomb?

Mackenzie's reburial was shown in the Edinburgh series of 'Life of Grime'.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 22:44:17

There are some who still think Mackenzie's spirit is responsible for the most recent fire in the Cowgate back in 2002. I don't recall if there was ever a very definitive explanation for how it started.

ScottishMummy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:54:09

awww i love macabre stuff

TwoIfBySea Fri 01-Aug-08 23:09:23

I remember that story expat, about the body, and that was him? Woah, I think I have that book somewhere in the house.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Aug-08 23:27:02

Yes, it's the same dude!

It was all in the papers.

Now everytime I see that book I shiver.

My boss was living in the stair where he was murdered and at first it was so terrifying, thinking some wild murderer was running round loose aroudn there.

But the murderer was caught soon after.

skybright Fri 01-Aug-08 23:47:26

Body politic by Paul Johnston is a really great book.

FlossieTCake Sat 02-Aug-08 01:44:54

Lizzy's Literary Life is doing Edinburgh at the moment - the festival rather than the city-in-literature, but the two do tend to overlap at various points.

elkiedee Sun 10-Aug-08 23:35:49

I like Paul Johnston's series set in near future Edinburgh too. Joyce Holms' books are hard to find but they're set in Edinburgh - crime fiction though different in tone from Ian Rankin.

MorrisZapp Tue 07-Oct-08 12:12:31

In Bridget Jones, they make a trip the festival, and BJ has a baked potato from my fave baked potato shop!

Kevlarhead Tue 07-Oct-08 18:51:50

You forgot Maisie comes to Morningside...

Kevlarhead Tue 07-Oct-08 18:52:25

More seriously, The Bridge (iain Banks) has a lot of edinburgh in it.

Well, some anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now