Talk

Advanced search

Douglas Kennedy - any fans?

(14 Posts)
Greedygirl Wed 25-Jun-08 23:16:36

Just read The State of the Union and absolutely loved it. Anyone read anything else by him?

FlossieTCake Wed 25-Jun-08 23:26:12

I haven't, but have just received one from a MN book swap and it looks like a good read - looking forward to it...

bran Wed 25-Jun-08 23:31:12

Is that the one about the two war reporters who get married and have a baby, then she gets PND? I think he's a good writer, but I didn't enjoy that one at all, possibly I just wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time.

I think The Dead Heart is the best of his (I think it might have been his first).

Greedygirl Thu 26-Jun-08 11:05:14

It is the one about a woman who has a fling which comes back to haunt her later on when the man writes a book and reveals all. I really recommend it. Not sure I fancy the one about PND but I'll give The Dead Heart a go - thanks!

Floosie, hope you enjoy...

bagsforlife Fri 27-Jun-08 12:17:20

The one about PND is called something else ...I can't remember the title. It is very good but VERY sad. Wouldn't recommend it if you have a small baby or are feeling at all fragile!!!!

bran Sun 29-Jun-08 18:57:23

I'll look out for State of the Union then. It would be good to read another of his.

Nagapie Sun 29-Jun-08 19:28:14

There is a new one - Woman in the Fifth (I think!) - I do enjoy his books...

The 1st and the one I enjoyed the most was the Big Picture....

Onlyaphase Sun 29-Jun-08 19:32:43

I love his writing - found his latest one (Women in the Fifth) a bit odd in places, not his usual style but still very gripping and readable.

The first one of his I read was the one about the girl in 1950s America who went off to the big city to have a career, and everything that could go wrong did go wrong, scandal, miscarriage, suicide attempts...can't remember what it was called but I do remember thinking "what else can possibly happen to this poor woman"

artgirl73 Thu 03-Jul-08 22:08:10

I thought the PND one was incredibly insightful actually, perhaps so much so that when it moved past that part into a thriller it sort of lost impact for me, even though it was exciting. Funny how I can't remember the title either! I think I have read The Dead Heart too, if it about the guy who goes into the outback and ends up wishing he hadn't? It alternated between hilarious and scary, I thought it was very clever.

artgirl73 Thu 03-Jul-08 22:10:07

Thinking about it, I think it may have been called A Special Relationship if it wasn't State of the Union - it definitely had an American reference.

floaty Thu 03-Jul-08 22:11:09

I have just read women of the fifth on holiday,definately a page tuner ,I couldn't put it down but very odd ending.Can't seem to get it out of my mind though so it must be good!

Sobernow Thu 03-Jul-08 22:14:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sobernow Fri 01-Aug-08 20:58:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zippitippitoes Fri 01-Aug-08 21:01:40

oh never read anything but i just bought woman on the fifth on three for two

not started it

am readsing red mandarin dress qui xiaolong but not sure if i am into that either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now