Talk

Advanced search

If you could recommend one book that everybody should read....

(77 Posts)
ClashCityRocker Sun 15-Oct-17 19:25:40

What would it be?

For whatever reason, because it has a great message or just because it's a bloody good read?

comfyshoelady Sun 15-Oct-17 19:33:12

To kill a mockingbird, because it's a beautiful book with loveable characters but also important, in terms of understanding something that we should fight against whenever we see it, judging another race or group of people as intrinsically inferior.

Taffeta Sun 15-Oct-17 19:34:32

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel.

I appreciate the world and my life more since reading it.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 15-Oct-17 19:36:24

Go Ask Alice - diary of a teenager growing up in the USA during the 60's 70's and her relationship with drugs

overitalready Sun 15-Oct-17 19:38:29

Send me no flowers by Jenny Tomlin

Hard going & heartbreaking but amazing

LassWiTheDelicateAir Mon 16-Oct-17 01:01:39

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder. It is one of David Mitchell 's favourite books and has influenced his style.

The character Luisa Rey, who appears in Ghostwritten, Cloud Atlas and The Bone Clocks is an homage to it.

I'm plagiarising an Amazon review.

This book is quite modern in its structure and style, in the sense that there is no single plot. It is an exploration of the individual lives of five people in eighteenth century Peru, who die together when a bridge collapses. A priest attempts to find some sense of religious purpose and meaning in the tragedy, but though he is the starting point of the narrative, he fades completely from the action until the final pages

The power of the book lies in the compassion and insight with which Wilder illuminates the lives, passions, faults and virtues of the characters. He makes no attempt to judge them, only to bring them to life on the page. He writes with a simple, direct elegance that makes reading a positive pleasure.

Badweekjustgotworse Mon 16-Oct-17 01:10:39

The master and margharita by mikhail bulgakov, simply wonderful, might have to bump it up the read list and reread it now you've reminded me!

pallisers Mon 16-Oct-17 01:32:00

Gilead by Marilynn Robinson. just beautiful

DaisyRaine90 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:10:23

The Alchemist

DaisyRaine90 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:11:52

*Comfyshoelady
You stole my first choice for this thread 😂
But I second To Kill a Mockingbird.

BrandNewHouse Mon 16-Oct-17 09:13:42

Seven habits of Highly Effective People blush

A lot of people might get their shit together a bit better if they would even do one of them.

AnnaBay Mon 16-Oct-17 09:15:29

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

AgentProvocateur Mon 16-Oct-17 09:19:22

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, just because it's a beautifully written heartbreaking book that teaches you a lot about other people's lives.

QuentinSummers Mon 16-Oct-17 09:21:49

The Power by Naomi Alderman. Because it's really original and thought provoking but also an easy read.

Loyly Mon 16-Oct-17 09:23:05

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Mon 16-Oct-17 09:26:18

Wonderful idea for a thread, OP.
the secret life of bees has stayed with me too Anna I also agree with many others and will read the ones recommended here.
Definitely going to watch this thread.

bridgetjones1 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:29:21

I would also say To Kill a Mocking Bird - I did it for GCSE at school many moons ago and it changed me and how I saw the world.

I have also recently read The Alchemist and also thought this was amazing, makes you sit back and think about things in a different way.

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Mon 16-Oct-17 09:41:02

If I were to suggest a book that IMO should be read by everyone, Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari. It's about the war on drugs.
Fast Food Nation changed my life. Don't know if that book is still widely read.
chasingthescream.com

<Puts soapbox away>

DaisyRaine90 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:50:19

Oh, and Angela’s Ashes 😭

doctorcuntybollocks Mon 16-Oct-17 13:06:08

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
Love the world while we still have it. We could lose (almost) everything at a moment's notice.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 16-Oct-17 13:11:36

I listened to the audiobook so I hope it’s still allowed...

Our souls at night by Kent Haruf.

Nothing really happens, but I found it really touching. There’s just something simple and beautiful about it.

sooperdooper Mon 16-Oct-17 13:12:41

Beloved by Toni Morrison, it's utterly heartbreaking but written like poetry and the story (which is based on true events) is incredible

I'm going to add the rest to my reading list, 100% agree with The Vanishing of Esme Lennox, loved that book

Doreah Mon 16-Oct-17 13:38:39

Cheating with a series rather than a book but Terry Pratchett Discworld series. Very cleverly written, very funny and oddly reflective the way they hold up a distorted mirror to our world and makes you question ideas, beliefs and traditions. He hasd a great aptitude for challenging everything, including beloved fairy tales, in an entertaining, light hearted way.

CoolCarrie Mon 16-Oct-17 13:42:09

Jane Fonda and Robert Redford star in a film version of Our Souls At Night, she mentioned it on Graham Norton last week.

Vitalogy Mon 16-Oct-17 14:04:35

The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now