Talk

Advanced search

Books about cetaceans - just finished Rush Oh!

(7 Posts)
Squirmy65ghyg Sun 16-Apr-17 17:46:32

Brilliant book on the relationship between orcas and a whaling community in Australia.

Can anyone recommend a book on cetaceans please, either fiction or non fiction? There's a few on Amazon, including one by an ex Sea World trainer.

Squirmy65ghyg Mon 17-Apr-17 17:15:53

Bump smile

cdtaylornats Mon 17-Apr-17 20:40:31

Moby Dick
The Dolphins of Pern
The Sky Whales of Ishmael

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 18-Apr-17 22:22:14

I'm looking forward to reading Rush-Oh!

I recently read The North Water, set on a whaling vessel, but not too focussed on the relationship with humans.

Second Moby Dick.

Arthur C Clarke wrote a book called Dolphin Island which was about a scientist studying dolphin communication iirc. Read it a long time ago but might be worth a look.

I recommend you look for the documentary Blackfish if you are interested in Orcas and Seaworld - it might give you pointers on what to read as a lot of previous trainers and whale experts are involved.

Squirmy65ghyg Thu 20-Apr-17 20:01:29

It was so good! An undercurrent of knowing humour, not sure how to put it - let me know what you think!

Thank you. I saw Blackfish and am so saddened by what these amazing creatures are subject to. There are at least 2 solitary orca who are in very very small tanks (rest are with others) - shocking. Lolita in miami and Morgan in Spain. I don't know how anyone can justify it.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Thu 20-Apr-17 20:05:57

I don't know how focused it is on cetaceans, but there's The Explorer's Daughter by Kari Herbert.

piebald Mon 24-Apr-17 09:34:41

ooh think i may have to buy that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now