Recommendations for maths/physics books for people who actually quite like the odd equation?

(9 Posts)
slightlyglitterbrained Sun 16-Apr-17 09:12:54

Have been a bit disappointed recently by pop science books on maths/physics that are apparently aimed at people who don't want to see any numbers.

Decades ago I studied both up to A level/early undergrad - so while I've entirely forgotten all the details I can cope with Hard Sums, if explained from scratch. I'm finding that explaining stuff to DS is rekindling my interest (though at 4 he's only getting fairly simple explanations) - so am looking for books about physics or maths that are hopefully a bit more visually exciting than my old physics textbooks.

Any recommendations? Not really looking for kids' books as this is for me and I want something a bit more meaty than "here are some stars. They are very far away! Look at the pretty colours!"

Sadik Sun 16-Apr-17 17:15:23

I don't know if they're the sort of thing you want but I've really enjoyed:
Alex's Adventures in Numberland (perhaps too few sums for what you want, but still very good)
Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh (really excellent)
How To Cut a Cake & other Mathematical Conundrums by Ian Stewart
What We Cannot Know by Marcus du Sautoy

BobbinThreadbare123 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:22:30

Get some books by Michio Kaku. A bit of John Gribbin goes down well, too. Also, not a 'topic' book but more of a diary/documentary book suggestion is how Georg Bednorz and Alex Muller found high temperature superconductors. Fascinating. I will see if I can find the title; I read it when I was about 12 (Muller wrote it) and it got me hooked on physics.

CoteDAzur Sun 16-Apr-17 21:09:07

OP - re "books about physics or maths that are hopefully a bit more visually exciting than my old physics textbooks"

I have some non-fiction recommendations for you:

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You - Marcus Chown (All QT explained in simple terms and sentences. Really well done, I highly recommend this book)

Alan Turing: The Enigma - Andrew Hodges (Very detailed explanation of how Enigma code was broken AND a thorough explanation of Turing's contributions to the field of mathematics, as well as what the field was like before him.)

The Strangest Man - Graham Farmelo (Biography of Paul Dirac, pioneer quantum physicist and mathematician who "discovered" antimatter through mathematical calculations. Also a fascinating account of the rush towards the atom bomb and its aftermath, with a famous cast including Bohr, Heisenberg, Einstein, Schrodinger, etc)

And this one is historical fiction:

Measuring The World by Daniel Kehlmann (I loved this book, which follows the lives of the world's most acclaimed mathematician Gauss and aristocrat/cartographer Humboldt)

BobbinThreadbare123 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:55:46

I second the suggestion by CoteDAzur about Graham Farmelo's book on Dirac. It is excellent. I was taught at uni by someone who had Dirac as his PhD supervisor. An usual man.

BobbinThreadbare123 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:56:33

Unusual!

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 17-Apr-17 09:47:19

Thanks for the recs! Sound like a few to check out, I like the sound of the Ian Stewart book and have bought the Hodges Turing bio. Will have a browse of the rest next time I'm in a bookshop.

Having thought a bit more since my original post, I think I am particularly interested in books that you have to read with a pen and paper to try things out, rather than reading it straight through like a novel. There are lots of entertaining and absorbing examples of the latter but the former seem less common?

EnjoyYourVegetables Mon 17-Apr-17 09:51:52

J E Gordon's The New Science of Strong Materials is dated in parts, naturally (1968!) but a good read still.

CoteDAzur Mon 17-Apr-17 23:10:10

OP, I think you would also like Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

You would probably like all his books, actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now