Talk

Advanced search

Please help me to find this book - Intruder living secretly in a house.

(16 Posts)
Sukiesu Thu 02-Jun-16 23:39:24

I heard a review for this book on Radio London, last year I think. It's about someone living /hiding in a house without the owner knowing. I think they were living in the loft or an outbuilding but taking food & showering etc. when the owner goes out. I'm not sure if the intruder is known to the house owner or if they are just an admirer/stalker. I think I looked up the book at the time on Amazon & it had quite mixed reviews. I've tried looking on Amazon again and googling variations of the story, but no luck for the past few months. Does it ring a bell with anyone who thinks that they've read it or maybe a review. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
ImperialBlether Thu 02-Jun-16 23:42:20

It happened IRL to a guy in Japan, didn't it?

WutheringFrights Thu 02-Jun-16 23:43:30

Are you sure it wasn't a thread on mumsnet rather than a book? grin

Sukiesu Thu 02-Jun-16 23:53:47

I definitely remember the author being interviewed on the radio. He may well have based it on a real life story as inspiration. I usually write the name down when I hear a book I may like but looked it up on Amazon instead. I think it was a hard back and quite expensive so I probably decided to wait for the paperback or until I could get a second hand copy.

Elvesandtheshoomaker Thu 02-Jun-16 23:56:15

Was it this?

www.amazon.co.uk/Memoirs-Stalker-Thomas-W-Hodgkinson/dp/1909269352

Sukiesu Thu 02-Jun-16 23:57:49

My hairdresser just bought a very old mid terrace cottage & her boyfriend discovered that the roof space runs across all 4 cottages, with no barriers. So it is quite possible & scary to think that a neighbour could enter your property this way. A fire hazard too.

Sukiesu Fri 03-Jun-16 00:01:22

Thank you Elves I think it is! The book sounded really good in the interview but I think that the reviews may have put me off & the price. I wish my memory was better.

madasamarchhare Fri 03-Jun-16 03:09:42

Iam sure that one of the first Mo Hayder books is an example of this. Certainly the first few books -the treatment and bird man are well worth a read.

ImperialBlether Fri 03-Jun-16 10:29:04

Those bad reviews are certainly damning.

I read Mo Hayder's Tokyo and liked it but found Birdman to be gratuitously horrible. I've just looked on her website and Tokyo isn't mentioned there - on Amazon it seems as though it's not published in English now. Seems strange when it did so well at the time.

ImperialBlether Fri 03-Jun-16 10:29:40

Oh okay, it was republished as The Devil of Nanking.

Cornishblues Fri 03-Jun-16 19:50:59

A pleasure and a calling is along those lines.

madasamarchhare Wed 08-Jun-16 14:08:25

Just started reading a pleasure and a calling and although it is very different to what I would normally ready I am enjoying it a lot. Can anyone recommend any other books along similar lines?

lljkk Wed 08-Jun-16 14:45:48

There was a funny sweet romance book about something like this, but I can't find the title or author name. Urk.

2nds Wed 08-Jun-16 14:48:12

Sukiesu is this what you are on about

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rogers_(murder_suspect)

There was a book written about him not long ago, I think it is very similar to what you are saying.

2nds Wed 08-Jun-16 14:51:22

BTW if I remember correctly he lived in the attic.

NuggetofPurestGreen Wed 08-Jun-16 23:06:35

I think there was a thread on mumsnet about this too, it turned out to be the OP's brother??

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in