Talk

Advanced search

does anyone else think that Kate Morton's books are rubbish, or is it just me?

(17 Posts)
carlajean Sun 07-Dec-14 17:38:39

I'm ploughing through The Secret Keeper for my book group, and losing the will to live, it's so formulaic and plain dull. And long. The House at Riverton was just as bad. Most of the reviews on good reads and amazon love it. Is it just me?

Jamdoughnutfiend Sun 07-Dec-14 18:08:09

I really enjoyed both of them - particularly The House at Riverton. I usually read crime / thrillers but a friend gave them to me, after she really liked them.

neolara Sun 07-Dec-14 18:10:01

I read house of riverton a while ago and thought it was dreadful.

I read, 'The House at Riverton' on holiday one year. had read all of the dozen or more books I'd taken and was reduced to reading the trash left behind by others. It was astonishingly awful.

skolastica Sun 07-Dec-14 19:16:12

Agree. Over-hyped - as are a lot of modern writers.

Flangeshrub Sun 07-Dec-14 20:38:12

Agree, boring drivel.

Artus Sun 07-Dec-14 20:52:41

I agree, derivative, poorly researched drivel and full of anachronisms.

tessiegirl Mon 08-Dec-14 12:02:44

I read House at Riverton first and enjoyed it although I thought it went on a bit. Then I read The Secret Keeper and was soooooooo disappointed. It was long and quite boring. Apparently that is the one most people rave about too... I will probably get around to reading her other books but in no hurry

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 08-Dec-14 21:13:51

As skolastica says, a lot of modern writers are over-hyped. They seem to writing to a formula and I'm not sure that many of them will stand the test of time as more 'classic' writers have.

I started The House at Riverton a couple of years ago. Gave up after about 30 pages. Life is too short to read drivel. The same with Gone Girl although I certainly didn't read as many of 30 pages.

Sometimes I think I should read more recently-written books so I look in the library and in the charity shops and find virtually nothing I'm tempted by.

I might start The Bonesetter's Daughter soon, but not at all sure I'll finish it.

Mmmicecream Tue 09-Dec-14 02:04:30

I really like her books, although struggle to remember which was which

cheifbrody Tue 09-Dec-14 07:39:44

I love her books but dislike a lot that mumsnet rave about........

we are all different.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 09-Dec-14 07:47:57

I read the house at riverton and thought it awful badly plotted drivel. I think it even went on the fire.
Then again Kate Wotsit is far richer and more successful than I am.

CountryPheasant Tue 09-Dec-14 18:40:25

I have read and enjoyed all Kate Moreton's and I will be reading her next one when it eventually comes out in paperback.

I think of them as being a bit like Downton Abbey but in book form - light and cosy reads that provide easy access to a particular era.

Of course they won't be everybody's cup of tea but I enjoy the stories and trying to guess the twists at the end. I have always been an avid reader but at the moment am having difficulty concentrating on anything that requires too much thought. I know it's going to get worse after Christmas as well I have a massive professional exam coming up in June, so these books have been ideal for me.

CountryPheasant Tue 09-Dec-14 18:44:42

Just don't ask me to spell her name correctly hmm

Kasterborous Tue 09-Dec-14 19:06:05

I really enjoyed them, but I can see why other people didn't.

I've enjoyed most of her books, The Secret Keeper was pretty dull though.

pharoahinthebath Thu 11-Dec-14 16:19:50

Agree - I've been sucked into reading them twice by thinking that the blurb on the back sounded interesting. They aren't interesting - just long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now