Talk

Advanced search

Help me back on track

(7 Posts)
Wildwaterfalls Mon 27-May-13 22:07:10

Help help help!

I used to love reading 'proper, good' books, such as classics (Trollope, Bronte), contemporary fiction (Donna Tartt, Margaret Atwood) and funny stuff too (Wodehouse particularly).

I have always had a weakness for crime fiction (Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes) but recently my standards have kind of slipped and I am reading lots of crime 'series' which are easy to read but not particularly well-written.

So... I'd really like to get back on track and hear about the good books you're reading, especially if you have a similar taste in books to me. Stuff that has really made you think, or made you laugh, or challenged you somehow.

Many thanks

SarahAndFuck Mon 27-May-13 23:17:48

I recently enjoyed The Innocents by Francesca Segal, which takes its inspiration from Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence. I got very involved with the characters and was surprised to find that the one I thought I liked the least was actually the most complex by the end.

Alys, Always by Harriet Lane was very good, it had slight tones of Notes on a Scandal about it.

A Kind of Intimacy by Jenn Ashworth is a favourite of mine and I recommended it recently on the thread about The Magpies by Mark Edwards.

Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd has been a favourite for a long time, it tells the story of a woman called Hope Clearwater and how she came to live on the coast of Africa, via a divorce in England and a job on the Grosso Avore Chimp Reserve.

Wildwaterfalls Tue 28-May-13 11:34:08

Thanks Sarah, I really appreciate the tips! Can't wait to get started!

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 28-May-13 16:20:25

I'd really recommend Peter May's Lewis Trilogy - it starts with The Blackhouse. They happen to fit in to a sort of crime genre, ish, but they are beautifully written so might bridge a gap.

lilibet Tue 28-May-13 16:34:29

Have you tried any Sarah Waters? Not really whodunnits but certainly really good stories with a twist in the tale.

Galaxymum Tue 28-May-13 16:58:49

I would urge you to try The Light Between Oceans by ML Thompson. It is a very thoughtful story with believable characters who are given a life changing dilemma. The research on lighthouses and the effects on returnees from the 1st World War really captures the mood of post World War 1. I was captivated by the writing and the emotions conveyed in the main protagonists' dilemmas.

Also just read Restless by William Boyd which fascinated me. If you're looking for a kind of war/crime/thriller type this is very well written with excellent research. I have Waiting for Sunrise to read which may also interest you.

Wildwaterfalls Tue 28-May-13 22:01:02

Oh thank you all! Some excellent suggestions here which I am looking forward to trying. I like the idea of a good book that has a but if a crime-ish theme, to wean myself off the detectives smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now