Talk

Advanced search

Georgette Heyer fans this way, I beg of you

(4 Posts)
MrsDreadfullyMorbidMausoleum Sat 08-Oct-11 08:46:23

I am trying (for my own amusement) to write a novel in the style of GH, and am enjoying myself greatly. grin

I am about to write the chapter introducing the hero(s) of the piece, but need some names. Am totally crap not very good at naming my characters!

So hero one. Tall, dark, dashing, ver ver bad. Has a weakness for intelligent women. Mid 30s. Previously disappointed in love, hardened against fortune hunters. A corinthian.

Hero Two. Angelically fair. Tall, dashing, a consummate horseman. A rake. Rushing through his massive fortune but ready for redemption (or perhaps just extra cash). Loves all women, indiscriminately. Massively charming. Ver ver bad.

talkingnonsense Sat 08-Oct-11 09:27:33

Ooh how lovely. Are they titled? Dukes, earls or marquises? Do they need long strings of names? Anthony Merle St John Matlock.

MrsDreadfullyMorbidMausoleum Sat 08-Oct-11 09:32:55

With a surname like Matlock, he'd need to be an earl methinks <strokes chin>.

Heroine is Lady Helena Welford (see, told you I was crap at names).

I think perhaps hero one could be less titled ifyswim, is v.rich and doesn't care for other's opinions.

Auntiestablishment Sat 08-Oct-11 13:24:09

<gets out map> This is how Heyer named her characters - especially the servants.

Hero 1: Lord Fitzroy Beckwith
Anthony, Marquis of Thornville
Sir Charles Allerton

Hero 2: Lord Humphrey Nympsfield;
Aubrey, Marquis of Waterlane;
Sir Robert Quenington

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now