Talk

Advanced search

Under the Skin - Michel Faber

(9 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Fri 30-Sep-11 20:47:03

DH has heard that this book is being made into a film. Has anyone read/heard? It is an absolutely amazing book. Just can't imagine it going down that well as a film. Anyone?

StantonLacy Fri 30-Sep-11 20:59:50

No, I agree.

The book is fantastic. The thought of a film of it just seems very bizarre. For me, part of the reason why I enjoyed it so much was the way the story very gradually came together - the way the plot/background/detail was slowly revealed. To try and put that across in a film where the visual aspect is so obvious definitely wouldn't work for me.

Who knows, though ? Might turn out really well, but I don't see how...

Rollergirl1 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:18:31

I am sure it is purely off the back of the success of The Crimson & the White's tv success. But they are entirely different books. It will be all about the 'vodsel' side of it.

Haberdashery Fri 30-Sep-11 21:25:09

I can't imagine it as a film, either. It was such a clever book and I just can't see how it will be possible to do that gradual reveal on film. I will probably go and see it if they do make it - will be intrigued!

Rollergirl1 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:42:56

Under the Skin

There ya go folks. Scarlett Johanssen is "Isserly"

Stokey38 Fri 30-Sep-11 21:51:11

I love this book, hope they don't ruin it. Could be really brilliant if done well.

StantonLacy Fri 30-Sep-11 22:00:38

Oh, FGS...Scarlett Johanssen ?!!

That is just ridiculous. I've just looked at a few articles about the film/casting etc and they've really gone in all heavy handed and spoiled any kind of mystery about the plot, have given the game away completely. I feel dreadful for anyone that hasn't read it yet...what rubbish spoilers sad

Haven't seen anything that Glazer has done, but like you Haberdashery, will probably go to see it anyway- out of a morbid desire to see how dreadful it is grin

Haberdashery Sat 01-Oct-11 10:03:25

Scarlett Bloody Johanssen?! FFS. Worst casting ever!

halfnhalf Mon 03-Oct-11 17:04:22

so glad I've read this before the film came out. Surely the point of Isserley is that she ISN'T beautiful, more a grotesque approximation of what her people think humans find attractive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now