Talk

Advanced search

Need a big fat tome to read on holiday - any recommendations?

(27 Posts)
twostraightlines Sun 10-Jul-11 11:23:40

I like historical novels - loved Robert Harris Pompeii and Kate Mosse Labyrinth and need something gripping for this year.

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 10-Jul-11 11:33:04

not historical, but I really love anything by Penny Vincenzzi for holiday reading. Windfall is set in the 1930's and is really good. They are not remotely high brow and a bit trashy, but they are nice and long and I have found most of them gripping. There are lots of reviews on Amazon.

mollschambers Sun 10-Jul-11 11:37:59

I loved Labyrinth too. Will have a look at Pompeii.

Not historical but have you read The girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy? On the second book and enjoying.

Isabel Allende - Daughter of Fortune is good. Haven't read her others. On the to do list.

titferbrains Sun 10-Jul-11 11:43:04

I think Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver is supposed to be good.

I know this much is true by Wally lamb had me gripped in the summer after my exams, years ago but I remember getting so lost in it

SEven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman was also interesting and another fattie.

RoxyRobin Sun 10-Jul-11 11:54:16

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. 2009 M. Booker Prize-winner, but don't let that put you off. Insightful look at court of Henry VIII via character of Thomas Cromwell. As subtle and clever as TV's The Tudors is heavy-handed and silly. But then I love everything by Mantel.

ShirlOckholmes Sun 10-Jul-11 12:09:55

If you like historical novels, have you tried 'Sea of Poppies' by Amitav Ghosh. It is the first part of a trilogy. The second part 'River of Smoke' was just recently published. Those two should keep you going.

twostraightlines Sun 10-Jul-11 18:47:00

Great! an excellent selection. Will investigate all those, thank you all.

melezka Sun 10-Jul-11 18:51:07

Have you read any of the Shardlake novels by C J Sansom? They are cracking.

donnie Sun 10-Jul-11 18:52:25

have you read A suitable Boy by Vikram Seth? 1100 pages of fabulousness!!!!

KurriKurri Sun 10-Jul-11 19:47:58

ken Follet - Pillars of The Earth, is really enjoyable and fat smile

twostraightlines Sun 10-Jul-11 19:57:45

My dad loved the Shardlake novels and they are all still at mum's, waiting for me I just can't get them before the hols! They are definitely on my list for future reading, as are Ken Follet's books, Dad had lots of his too. A Suitable Boy is one I have read and is utter fab I agree.

bargainhuntingbetty Sun 10-Jul-11 19:59:02

how do u get time to read on holiday?? I bought a book at the beginning of my holiday last week and havent even looked at one page. What am I doing wrong?

Yy to CJ Sansom.

This Thing Of Darkness is big and gripping and historical and well-researched AND well-written. Totally recommend it.

Lots of people like Ian Pears (sp?) for historical novels - An Incidence Of The Fingerpost and Stone's Fall. They are okay but over-written and too reliant on coincidence/clunky 'twists' imho.

Not historical but The Passage by Juston Cronin is good and pretty hefty.

JustIn - I seem to have lost the ability to type/spell today.

joshandjamie Sun 10-Jul-11 20:15:06

Gone with the wind. Just finished it. 1700 pages. But I loved it and I learnt a lot too!

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:18:58

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is excellent too, and also second the Wally Lamb suggestion!

tudorrose Sun 10-Jul-11 21:22:02

Pillars of the Earth is fantastic. Couldn't put it down.

mollschambers Sun 10-Jul-11 21:42:14

I struggled to get through The Poisonwood Bible.

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton is good.

I gave up on Poisonwood Bible and absolutely hated the one kate Morton I tried (forgotten the title though, sorry).

The Ken Follet one is suitably huge and quite enjoyable, although not terribly well-written. The villain is v one-dimensional. I preferred the sequel, which was a bit more subtle. He's good on strong female characters though.

Arianna Franklyn worth a look for historical novels with strong female characters - not tomes though.

TheWalrusAwakes Sun 10-Jul-11 23:57:25

If you like very historical then The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel is good and fairly hefty length-wise but not hard-going at all. It's about early humans and is fantasically researched and well-written too. It's the first of a series of six I think.

iamabadger Mon 11-Jul-11 00:01:36

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon are all big hefty ones, and there are six or seven now I think so if you like the first one you won't run out of things to read for a while!

sonearsofar Mon 11-Jul-11 07:04:50

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

Also agree with A Suitable Boy and Gone with the Wind

DandyDan Mon 11-Jul-11 07:28:30

The Sunne in Splendour - Sharon Penman (Wars of the Roses theme)

VivaLeBeaver Mon 11-Jul-11 07:45:09

Game of thrones by rr George.

bagelmonkey Mon 11-Jul-11 07:46:52

The same suggestion as titferbrains I know this much is true by Wally Lamb is a great book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now