Talk

Advanced search

Can't lose weight

(13 Posts)
namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 04:51:44

I'm 20 kg overweight - in other words, I have never lost any of my baby weight and DS is now 22 months. People around me (mostly 'D'M and other family members) are constantly criticising me for this.

Actually, I had lost 4-5 kg before being put on sertraline and gaining all back with interests. It has done wonders for my PND but has completely fucked up my metabolism. I'm starting the weaning process.

I go to the gym twice a week and do a long run at weekends. Will be running the Manchester HM this Sunday and I can almost reach my pre-pregnancy pace. I eat similarly to then too. But I'm always going up or, at best, staying stable.

On Monday I was more than 1 kg more than Sunday morning, with a 18k in between. Eaten normally, refused MIL's second portions. Please help.

OP’s posts: |
LuckyKitty13 Fri 17-May-19 05:39:02

Can you give an example of your daily diet including fluids?

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 05:45:57

Breakfast - milk with cereal or toast
Mid morning and mid-afternoon - an apple
Lunch (which I should probably reduce, PIL like to cook for me but I should probably stick to the expensive and mini-portions-serving canteen to diet!!!) - pasta with some veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, beans etc), fruit
Dinner - Meat/fish with veggies, fruit

Pasta is my biggest weakness grin

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 05:50:06

What makes me think that meds have some sort of role in that is that I had lost my first 4-5 kg when ILs (always same cooking style) had moved in to help me with baby DS, but that drastically stopped when I started.
Need to go slowly with weaning as no-pill-days are physically tough, but really looking forward to that. GP would ideally like I'm done before autumn and shorter days, I fully agree. Hope this will help.

Girlintheframe Fri 17-May-19 05:54:41

I really sympathise with your struggle to loose weight. I too am on meds which effect both my appetite and my weight.
The only thing that has worked for me is keto (not Aitkens). I eat lots of good fats and the weight has literally fallen off me. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it myself.
It takes a while to get your head around it. The best thing about it is that I'm no longer hungry in between meals and my carb cravings are under control.

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 05:58:16

Thanks @Girl, I was thinking to resort to some sort of keto as well, at least to give my body a shock and get it restarted. That's a very good idea.

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 06:25:00

Uh sorry @LuckyKitty13 I forgot about the fluids.

That's another weakness. I tend to drink less than I should. These days I'm trying to do a one-bag-a-day (I drink coffee too so can't exaggerate) tea at the office trying to walk to the kitchen to refill with boiling water as many times as I can. Walking to the kitchen is also good exercise, the corridor is super long and my room is at the opposite end grin.

But I know I should drink more.

Girlintheframe Fri 17-May-19 06:27:36

I've been on it for 3 weeks now. I decided to do it for the whole of May then re assess. The first week was the hardest both physically and mentally but now I feel great. I used the Diet doctor site for lots of info. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Oysterbabe Fri 17-May-19 06:55:58

I think as a first step it might be worth tracking your calories so you know for sure how much you're consuming. The diet you describe shouldn't result in weight gain so I expect there's some snacking or large portions. It's really easy to lose track of how much you've had. Then it's a case of deciding what approach will work for you. Pretty much all diets work. Intermittent fasting is the only one I can stick to. I love food so would rather have nothing then a substantial meal than loads of low calorie stuff.

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 07:16:58

I think it's more of the large portions case honestly (not much into snacking). But I don't think I can handle fasting, so I should stick to either reducing portions or going heavy proteins.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get some professional help via NHS? If I mention this at the next meds review, could GP refer me anywhere? They're not worried about me as I have perfect health parameters besides BMI, but I am instead.

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 07:17:19

Thanks @Girlintheframe

Bvoy23 Fri 17-May-19 11:17:09

Hey. Hope you’re well? Just my 2cents. I’m a personal trainer so have experience helping people. From looking at your diet I think it would help you if upped your protein a bit. Is that doable?

namechange0123 Fri 17-May-19 13:40:59

Hi @Bvoy23,I'm actually now planning to give Atkins a try, starting from Monday (don't want to collapse mid half marathon!). Tonight I'll do a weekly plan and tomorrow will do the weekly shopping accordingly.

I love bread, pizza, pasta, biscuits but it's time to make a change. confused

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in