Which is healthier - a spoon of sugar or using almond/hazelnut milk in coffee?

(6 Posts)
ozzia Fri 18-Sep-15 13:30:41

As the subject really, I like sweet things and I've got myself down to one (large) sugar in tea and coffee but I was wondering whether I might be better to switch milk type as I hear they're very sweet.

Any one know?

I'd only be using that type of milk for hot drinks and using dairy for everything else

Branleuse Fri 18-Sep-15 13:40:29

Cant hurt to try, but I dont think any of the plant milks are sweet enough to substitute for a large sugar.

Have you tried the sweetener xylitol. Its the only one that i find indistinguishable from sugar

ozzia Fri 18-Sep-15 14:33:03

I have looked into Xylitol as I watched a programme on it, can't remember why I didn't go for it. Maybe I will give that a try, thanks smile

SunshineAndShadows Fri 18-Sep-15 14:34:32

Sweetened almond milk is much lower calorie than milk and sugar

Branleuse Fri 18-Sep-15 14:38:25

it might be an idea to actually switch to full fat milk or cream, and then cut the sugar out completely. I know atkins suggest this, and the fat and protein make the caffeine easier to metabolise and is more satiating to the body than sugar

ozzia Fri 18-Sep-15 15:12:51

Thanks Sunshine thats what I wasn't sure of

I think I would miss the sweetness but I might try the full fat idea, thanks for the suggestion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now