Talk

Advanced search

Total novice - tell me about body fat, please

(4 Posts)
LapinDeBois Thu 25-Oct-12 13:50:04

Five years after having DS1, I've finally decided to do something about the weight (about a stone and a half) that I never lost after having him. When I started dieting, about four months ago, I used one of those weight/BMI/body fat machines that they have at sports centres. It told me I was 11 stone 9, BMI 27.3, body fat 34.6%. Since then I've been slowly but steadily losing weight (I'm not in a rush!), and when I used the machine again today it confirmed that I'm now 11 stone 3 with a BMI of 26.2, which I'm happy about. However, my body fat has shot up to 41.6%. I don't really know anything about body fat percentages, but this seems really high. Is it a cause for concern? Is it plausible, given that I've lost weight? Is there anything I can be doing about it except continuing to try and lose weight? Thanks!

Rockchick1984 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:47:54

I am not any sort of expert, and I don't know how tall you are etc, but I'm 5'7" and when I was around 11 stone my body fat % was around 31%, I'm now around 10st 3 and my body fat is just over 27%. My BMI now is around 22.5. I think I'd try it again in a week or so, sounds like one or the other was a mistake smile

LapinDeBois Fri 26-Oct-12 09:45:41

Ooh, I like the idea it was a mistake smile. Thanks Rockchick. I'm planning to lose a few more pounds before Christmas and then put it all back on again, so I'll check it again in a couple of months.

goldygumdrops Fri 26-Oct-12 09:57:26

I think those machines are affected by how hydrated you are as they measure body fat by sending a current around your body or something and the body fat is measured by resistance. Im not sure if benig dehydrated would give you a higher or lower reading or vice versa though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now