Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used a personal trainer?

(10 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Thu 07-Jul-11 15:54:03

After joining and failing to return to several Shred threads, I have booked a personal trainer with a goal of losing a stone and a dress size for early September when I am a chief bridesmaid. I have £100 from work to put towards exercise/health benefits and it is going to be £35 a week for an hour's session. He will also do a nutrition plan and an exercise plan (15-20 min blasts each day) for me and I have to report back to him!

Can anyone tell me what it's like to have a personal trainer. I'm dreading the bit when he comes to my house next week and measures my fat! At least I've got an incentive to do the Shred everyday until then! I really am hoping this will get me motivated. Also any tips about what to look for from him in the first meeting (free) would be good, for me to assess whether to sign up or not.

arazmataz Thu 07-Jul-11 16:00:20

They are yummy. And inspirational. If you don't fall in love with yours, there is something wrong with you. wink

Makes exercising so much more fun. Just keep a grip on reality and remember he does have other clients, and it's his job to be lovely to you...

dinkystinky Thu 07-Jul-11 16:01:36

Yep, I use one - have dont for years. But she's a she, not a he. She's great - really pushes me, knows what exercises to do to really hit those spots I need to hit, and also comes up with programmes for me that I occasionally use..

bringinghomethebacon Thu 07-Jul-11 16:13:14

Oh god. Maybe I should get a female trainer. I am going to be sooooo embarrassed (so out of shape and wobbly!)

Finallygotaroundtoit Thu 07-Jul-11 16:18:18

Do they always excercise with you? Even if you're not a sleb with a Fitness DVD in the pipeline?

The 'plan and report back' makes me wonder

MABS Thu 07-Jul-11 16:29:00

mine doesnt work out with me, she is great, chats a lot so the time goes quickly. As i am lazy she is worth every penny imho

ZZMum Fri 08-Jul-11 01:34:27

Just a quick note to make sure you do not waste this!! I have had a PT on and off for the last 2 years and am exactly the same size and weight as at the start - this is due to the fact that working out for 1 hour a week, no matter how intense is not enough to make a change unless you follow it up with at least a couple of other sessions and signficant food changes.. took me 3 PTs to work this out and she was quite hard about it!!
But having said that I do love the sessions, have seen some changes in shape if not weight and am even a tiny bit fitter as would do FA when left to own devices (shreded once in Aug last year....)

moonferret Fri 08-Jul-11 01:46:22

I've been a very regular gymgoer for a few years and would never pay £20+ an hour for a personal trainer. Even if I were a multi-millionaire, I wouldn't want the distraction. The problem is that people look for "secret" and easier ways to achieve their goals; but the unfortunate truth is that there are no secrets, it just takes hard work. The internet can help with any routines you need aside from the main slogging on the CV machines.
There's one man I see the Personal Trainer with who just runs on the treadmill while the trainer watches over him. Apparently he would be completely unable to motivate himself to go on the treadmill without the trainer! In such rare instances, maybe Personal Trainers have a small (but shockingly expensive!) place!

bringinghomethebacon Fri 08-Jul-11 20:37:23

Thanks everyone. I am determined to make sure I get motivated and I think that the PT will motivate me. I am going to be doing an hour's exercise with him each week, but he is also setting me an exercise plan to do 15/20 mins intensive fat burning workouts by myself at home every day. It's going to be home based as I work f/t long hours and have a 4 yr old and 1 yr old and husband who is never here so I would never get to the gym by myself. I have tried exercise DVDs but just not found I can motivate myself to do them and find them boring. In the past when I have done exercise classes and group running it's been so much better working with people but I just don't get the opportunity to do that at present. So I am hoping 15 mins a day at home will be manageable. I certainly wouldn't expect to lose weight if I only did the hour's session a week. I have to keep a daily food and exercise diary to show to him to so that's going to be a real incentive to keep on track!

I have had a personal reference for him and the girl I spoke to said he doesn't accept excuses and gave her the kick up the arse she needed! I know it will be hard work, just hoping he will motivate me to do that hard work! I have set a goal of losing a stone by the first weekend in September, if I haven't achieved my goal by then I will ditch him. Wish me luck and I will report in after my first session on Monday!

arazmataz Fri 08-Jul-11 20:42:41

Very best of luck - enjoy! What I found is that a PT can really push you - you'll find you can do stuff you really didn't think you could. That stays with you when you exercise alone - you know you can go faster/further really, so slobbing about is no longer an option. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now